iOS 1Password extension feature request: Open this page in 1Password Browser

Options
skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member

Hello, there is one feature in the iOS 1Password extension (under the share menu) that I keep wishing was there.
Finally, I've gotten around to mocking it up and requesting it.

There are many times in where I want to use the 1Password app's browser for viewing a page, using passwords and other things.

Currently to do that I have to:
1. tap on the url in Safari
2. copy the link from Safari
3. manually go to the 1Password app,
4. unlock the 1Password app
5. tap on the button to open the 1Password browser
6. tap on the location bar
7. paste in the copied url
8. tap the Go button

Too much!

What I want to be able to do is this:
1. tap on the Share menu in Safari
2. tap on the 1Password extension to see the 1Password extension unlock dialogue
3. tap on a new button that says "Open page in 1Password" (one doesn't enter the password at this point)
4. have the 1Password app automatically launch
5. unlock the 1Password app
6. automatically switch to the 1Password browser and open the page requested from Safari

Better yet!
provide a new share button that users can turn on called "Open in 1Password"
1. tap on the Share menu in Safari
2. tap on the "Open in 1Password" button
3. have the 1Password app automatically launch
4. unlock the 1Password app
5. automatically switch to the 1Password browser and open the page requested from Safari

There are many reasons why I want to jump from a page in Safari and continue on with it in the 1Password browser

• Going to a new site and want use to create and customize a new login
  • Going to a site where I'm going to have to use more than one item from my vault (profiles, passport info, membership numbers, etc.)
  • Wanting to view a YouTube video on my iPad with the native iOS full screen mode (I do this by changing the 1Password browser User Agent to Safari (iPhone).
  • and much more.

Here are a couple of mock-ups of what I've been talking about.

By the way, if you haven't seen this video out, do, it's pretty cool.

1Password Version: 652002
Extension Version: 652002
OS Version: iOS 10.2.1
Sync Type: Dropbox/1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @skippingrock,

Thanks for the detailed explanation of what you're looking for! One component that is missing though is: why? Why do you want to be able to do this?

1Browser runs on Apple's WKWebView API/engine, which Apple seems to keep one step behind their Safari browser. It seems in most cases Safari is more technically capable than 1Browser for this reason. In addition, since building a web browser was never really our goal (1Browser was built before extensions were available on iOS and at the time was the only practical solution) it is missing many of the features and niceties that Safari and other web browsers on iOS have (many of which also support the 1Password extension).

With the advent of the extension that has certainly been where we've focused our development efforts, de-emphasing 1Browser both in development time spent and in our documentation. So I'd be very interested to hear what it is that keeps drawing you back into 1Browser.

Please let me know! :)

Ben

• ninja
    ninja
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    Please make it optional for 1Password browser to ask to "open URL?". when I open up 1Password, it asks if I want to open up something I was already looking at in safari. This is not useful, because if I was already looking at a website in safari, I would not have come to 1Password. If I start using 1Password, I'm looking for a password, not a website. It's ok by me if 1Password asks to reopen a website that I started on its own browser.

The pop up to open URL is annoying. Please provide an option to turn it off. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ninja,

There is one. :) Settings > 1Browser > Prompt to open websites from within the 1Password app.

Ben

• ninja
    ninja
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben!

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome. :)

Ben

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Ben,
    I thought I did mention in my original post why I'd want this, but maybe I didn't explain in enough detail (I was trying to be brief and to the point :) ) :

There are many reasons why I want to jump from a page in Safari and continue on with it in the 1Password browser

• Going to a new site and want use to create and customize a new login
    • Going to a site where I'm going to have to use more than one item from my vault (profiles, passport info, membership numbers, etc.)
    • Wanting to view a YouTube video on my iPad with the native iOS full screen mode (I do this by changing the 1Password browser User Agent to Safari (iPhone).
    • and much more.

As I mentioned in my original post the reason being is that when I am browsing and using websites that require a lot of usage from data stored within my 1Password vault, I really, really don't like doing it within Safari through the 1Password extension.

Perhaps the 1Browser is missing some of the newest Safari features, but it has never been enough for me to ever notice with the types of websites that I'm talking about.

There are many times that I have to interact with multiple data entries stored within my 1Password vaults during a single website visit.
    Doing that in Safari is not convenient. For example I go to my Government of Canada CRA account and I need to use 1Password extension to get into my account with my password, then I need to go back again and copy the answer to my challenge question, then I have to go in there again to put in some information from a secure note, or my work's intranet for my tax information. Maybe I'm purchasing insurance and I need other information, or submit my prescription receipts, make a ferry reservation and want to be able to record my reservation info within 1Password.

The other thing has to do with security. If I'm say needing something from my Government of Canada CRA account, or my banking account, I'm not going to be doing it on Safari on my iOS device. Simply for the reason that all of my browsing is secured behind my vault password. If something happens and my devices get stolen, or peaked at by a nosy family member, I do not have to worry about any sensitive data being displayed to them.

Working with secured sites is more fluid and easier. I have full access to everything that is in my 1Password vaults, I can reference my secured copies of my passports, my child's health records, my banking account numbers, my credit card numbers, etcetera, etc.

Yes, for most of it, I could probably do it with the 1Password extension, but not to the same extent as I can on my Mac. Even on the Mac, the 1Password extension cannot do everything that I need and I often need the full-blown application unlocked and viewable in the window next to my Safari window to be able to reference.

In iOS, using the 1Browser (my name for it) within the 1Password app is about as close as you can get to having the ease of access with the confidence of security. None of my devices support Touch ID, so I need to enter in my ridiculously long password each time that I want to get one of these data points. It's most frustrating, but not really because I have the 1Browser where I can get in and do all of it by just putting in my password once and can be at ease doing it on my mobile device because all my browsing is secured behind my 1Password.

About the Touch ID, even if my devices did support it, I don't think I would use it because of the amount of data I have in my vaults and the fact that my fingerprint is not considered a password by some governments. Not something I want abused when traveling abroad (or down south).

And like I said, the 1Browser also allows me to change the user-agent, and there are often times (like my YouTube example) where I don't want the version that is being served to my device, sometimes I want the true desktop version, sometimes, I need the iPhone version on my iPad, or vice versa.

Hope that clarifies my reasons preferring 1Browser over Safari when using a lot of data stored in my 1Password vaults.

• It is a secure password protected browser,
    • that lets me access all of my 1Password vault information (including viewing highly sensitive documents like Wills or mortgage papers),
    • for multiple data points,
    • I don't have to be copying things out of my vault an into the wild with my device's clipboard (which might be shared with other running apps or devices with macOS/iOS Continuity Clipboard),
    • I don't have to switch between apps multiple times,
    • and I can do all this by entering in my password just the once.
    • (And I can watch my YouTube videos on my iPad in native full screen mode without installing their stupid app that tracks everything.)

For those that just use 1Password for storing log-in passwords, the Safari extension is fine, but for those of us who actually use 1Password to its fullest in every single category, operating through just the extension will never be able to give us the power that we need.

I can assure you that the point in which the 1Browser is ever taken out will be also the point in which I stop updating… and contributing in the beta-testing. Something I really don't want to do. I love testing for you folks and helping you smash bugs and suggest ideas to enhance the product. I pimp this software to everyone I know. I lost track of how many people I've got using this.

So please, oh please, I beg you, don't phase the 1Browser out. Don't go the Apple route and dumb down your software by removing its most powerful features. It really does have its use and its need on mobile devices. It may not be used by everyone, but maybe its use hasn't been promoted correctly. It's not meant to be a Safari replacement. It's meant to be a silo-ed, secured browser with quick and direct access to your most personal and important information. Somewhere you do your web-banking, your taxes, your health management, your work intranet accessing, and more.

Thank-you Ben, for this opportunity to express what a great thing you have in the 1Browser, and hopefully reasons why it should remain and why a feature request like the previous "open in 1Password browser" is worth doing (probably through the "Better yet" separate button option that I suggested so that those that want it could turn it on, but those that don't need it could keep it off).

It's a great thing, it's not something that I use every day, but when I do need it I'm so glad that it is there because it is so much easier and secure. 1Password would not benefit from its removal.

Cheers, @skippingrock

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for that, @skippingrock! I'll admit that I totally missed that paragraph in your original post, so I'm really glad that you followed up. My apologies!

I now have a much better understanding of why 1Browser is valuable to you. I imagine that the majority of our customers have switched to the Safari extension, finding it more convenient, but I do certainly see how it fits into your workflow. I can't make any promises, and I don't know of any definite plans one way or the other with 1Browser, but I'll certainly make a point of linking to this post when the subject does come up.

Ben

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben. Always a pleasure…

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.