This recently happened in Australia [Telstra outage]

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Lounge

Telstra had a major service outage resulting in messages being missent all over the place!!

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/telstra-customers-experience-nationwide-outage-after-fire-at-exchange-20170202-gu3xac.html

As has been pointed out, SMS can be unreliable.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Wow! I hadn't heard about that. I think that the randomness makes it less of a security risk, but that is at least only security by obscurity and not any kind of real benefit — more of an "it could have been worse" — and that's pretty horrific from a privacy standpoint. But yeah, I generally think of SMS being insecure, and less about the unreliability of this antiquated communications standard. :unamused:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty,

Imagine getting someone else's TOTP or someone else getting yours! From the article, there was a deal in progress that was intercepted by an uninvited party.

""I could have broken this guy's deal wide open," said Twitter user @IggyBusby, on receiving details of someone's business strategy that included the phrases "hold off on the" and "still in discussions with"."

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

There is an issue here which is that copying and pasting @ "user handle" can lead to non existent users.

""I could have broken this guy's deal wide open," said Twitter user @IggyBusby, on receiving details of someone's business strategy that included the phrases "hold off on the" and "still in discussions with"."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. Unfortunately the forum software using the same @ mention as Twitter means that typing anything preceded by that symbol will treat it as a forum username. The forums actually support displaying tweets inline with the URL, but that one seems to have been deleted already.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

The Twitter user "Iggy Busby" has set his acount to retain day old tweets only. Everything else is deleted at the end of the day.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ha! I didn't even know that was possible. Shows you how often I use Twitter. :lol:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Looks like we both learned something new here. I last checked my Twitter account months ago!!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I had a look at Twitter settings and still cannot figure out how to limit tweets to a specified duration (days, weeks etc)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Maybe he's using a client app to do this:

I had a look at Twitter settings and still cannot figure out how to limit tweets to a specified duration (days, weeks etc)

You could tweet him to ask. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk for the suggestion. I spend so little time on Twitter that it may not be worthwhile asking!

• Ben
    Options

:+1: :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I should follow Agilebits on Twitter which will give me a reason to use Twitter more often!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2017
    Options

Ha! Definitely! You can find us here:

https://twitter.com/1password

:)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

Followed! But my Twitter user name is different from my Agilebits Discussion Forum name! I set up Twitter a few years before I joined this forum.

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Great! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.