Team member leaving -- can you export "Personal" team vault into a standard 1Password account?

Options

We have a team member leaving our company -- she's got pretty into using 1Password, and now would like to export her "Personal" vault into a standard (single-user) license.

Are there any gotchas, or anything that's non-obvious about this?

Our plan is:
1. Select just her personal vault
2. File->Export->All Items
3. Sign out of work 1Password account
4. Purchase standard 1Password license
5. File->Import

Is that the correct procedure?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @bpaluzzi - I'm happy to hear she loves using 1Password :-) Let's try using the steps below -

We'll start by moving your data out of her 1Password account vaults into a local vault.

*On your Mac please launch the main app from your Applications folder.

*First we are going to make sure that you have a local vault. On the upper left, click on the words "All Vaults." Do you see a vault called Primary? If so, please switch into the Personal vault.

*If not, please go to Preferences > Advanced and check the box that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" https://www.evernote.com/l/ABRROEKgoAJD-ZtZcGJoLNsYbldK55vZQV0

This will create a Primary vault for you. Now go back into the main app and switch into the Personal vault.

*Select all of your items.

*Go to Items > Share > Primary > Copy and that will migrate your items for you. The reason that you have to use Copy rather than Move is because your account is frozen. But the end effect is the same.

*Go back into Preferences > Sync and set your Primary vault to sync over iCloud or Dropbox.

*Still in Preferences, now go into the Accounts tab and sign out of your 1Password account.

Let us know if that worked or if you have any additional questions. Have a fantastic day!

• fool
    fool
    Community Member
    Options

Two followup questions for someone using only a team account:

1) is there a way to have this sync automatically? I don't anticipate a nasty breakup with my work-team, but I'd like to make sure my personal vault lives elsewhere in case of tragedy

2) is there a way to share a login for a personal + a team account? I only login to my work team at the moment but if i didn't have to maintain two separate accounts/logins to have my personal vault in my personal account somehow that'd be sweet.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fool! Welcome to the forums :chuffed:

1) is there a way to have this sync automatically? I don't anticipate a nasty breakup with my work-team, but I'd like to make sure my personal vault lives elsewhere in case of tragedy

Not currently. The best way to do that would be to register your own individual 1Password account, and keep your personal/non-work items there (in fact, that's what I do myself!). That way you can manage the items more flexibly.

2) is there a way to share a login for a personal + a team account? I only login to my work team at the moment but if i didn't have to maintain two separate accounts/logins to have my personal vault in my personal account somehow that'd be sweet.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this; if you're referring to having just one set of login details that gives you access to both accounts, then the answer is sort-of! The 1Password apps allow you to sign into multiple subscription accounts simultaneously; so for example, you can be signed into both an individual subscription account and a Teams account at the same time. You still use just one master password to unlock the app, but you get access to both account's data.

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• fool
    fool
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome, John! Guess I'll sign up for a second account, though I only use 1password on the web, so that was the context I meant it in; I like this view and only needing 1 master password to get to it:

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fool Ah ok! The web interface is on a per-account basis, as you go to the sign-in address of the account in question, and sign in with a particular member's details for that account. The apps allow multiple accounts though, so what you want is possible there. :chuffed:

• hesspaul
    hesspaul
    Community Member
    Options

@bpaluzzi @Frank will this procedure also copy attachments that are part of the entries being migrated? I remember the initial version had problems with linked attachments getting lost so I am wondering if it's no longer an issue.

• Frank
    Options

Hi @hesspaul - Great question! As of right now, when you migrate your attachments over to your Personal/Private vault they are converted over to documents. If you decide to migrate back to a Primary (local) vault the documents have to be downloaded separately as they won't carry over with the rest of your logins, secure notes, etc. We're working on a better migration experience but I don't have a timeline to provide you with at the moment but it's definitely something we want to improve. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to help out. :+1: Thanks for asking!

• Frank
    Options

Hi @cobaltjacket - That's an interesting suggestion. I was unaware of this and thank you for bring this to my attention. I will definitely make sure to mention this to my team. Maybe it's something we can look into for the future. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this with me :+1: Enjoy the rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.