1password browser extension problems with Firefox 51.0.1

Options

With the new release of Firefox 51.0.1 the 1password browser extension does not work with .htaccess secured folders on websites as it does not allow the pop-up window to appear.
It works fine in earlier versions of Firefox but not release 51.0.1

I have tested this in Chrome, Safari, Edge and Firefox 51.0.1 without the 1password extension and everything works fine so it's not the .htaccess
pop-up screen that is the problem.
As soon as I remove the 1password add-on from Firefox it works fine in 51.0.1 so it is clearly the extension that is preventing the sign-on pop up from appearing.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617 (19)
Extension Version: 4.6.2 (mozilla firefox)
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @AdrianHall,

Thanks for reporting this. I've moved this thread to our Extensions forums.

Considering that the only variable that has changed is Firefox, it sounds like Mozilla has changed something where our extension could have an impact. We'll need to talk to them about what they've done because the last update/change to our extension was back in November and I'm not seeing where our code could have an impact on this.

Is the site with the secured .htaccess publicly accessible? If yes, can you share it with us, so we can analyze what's happening? If you want privacy, you can email it to us at support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this thread, so we can connect the dots.

If you did email it to us, please let us know here you've sent it, so we can confirm we got it.

• AdrianHall
    AdrianHall
    Community Member
    Options

I am afraid the .htaccess location I am having problems with is not publicly available but they are very easy to set up.
    If you cannot do that on one of your servers and need one to test it against let me know and I'll see what I can do.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AdrianHall,

I've tested the stable and beta version of the 1Password Browser Extension in Firefox 51.0.1 on both a Mac and Windows by manually visiting a page I know to be protected in this manner and I can't reproduce. In all instances I see the basic authentication dialog pop up as expected. Can you see if the issue persists in a new Firefox profile please, this Use the Profile Manager to create and remove Firefox profiles page will help on how to do so. You will need to install a new copy of the extension as it's a completely separate profile with no connection to your normal profile. I don't know if we will see a difference but it will help eliminate a number of possibilities.

Now I was manually visiting the page to force the prompt, are you doing anything different to visit the page?

• AdrianHall
    AdrianHall
    Community Member
    Options

Tried that and still getting the same problem with a brand new profile.
    As long as the 1password extension is not installed then going to the protected folder works fine. But if it is installed and enabled then the pop up does not appear and it goes to the hacker trap on my website.

Note: even if the 1password extension is installed and disabled I still cannot access a protected folder.

This is the message I get -
    "Unauthorized

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

Additionally, a 401 Unauthorized error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AdrianHall,

Unfortunately I'm stumped. I can't reproduce and it doesn't make sense that its present even if the extension is disabled because a browser doesn't load any part of the extension when its disabled so none of our extension is loaded in either the global browser page or the tab.

• If it were the server responding in an odd manner to a open and fill URL the issue should be present both when the extension is disabled and not present so your observations would seem to rule that out.
    • Our extension is not e10s compatible (a Firefox feature) but e10s is enabled if the 1Password Firefox extension is disabled so again your observations would seem to rule this out too.
    • The fresh profile should rule out a number of possibilities.

All I think to suggest is to uninstall Firefox and download a fresh copy direct from Mozilla. Maybe something didn't update properly and the issue is somehow in this particular installation of Firefox.

A single reported case and the inability to reproduce mean it could end up being extremely hard to isolate the cause.

• AdrianHall
    AdrianHall
    Community Member
    Options

Not good. Okay lets run another test.
    I've just set up a brand new protected folder on my server and will email the details to support+forums@agilebits.com

Can you try to login and see what you get.
    This has the same problem for me as above and I still do not get the login pop-up.

Any thoughts on where to go next would be appreciated.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @AdrianHall,

To help ensure we see it could you email us at support+extension@agilebits.com please. You should receive an automated response back that will include a ticket ID. If you can post it here that will ensure we link the two and can carry on the conversation hopefully without any delays.

• AdrianHall
    AdrianHall
    Community Member
    Options

I have a ticket ID from the support+forum address - #DFR-72543-483
    and from the support+extension address - #MPS-65468-176

Hopefully this test will narrow it down to either my setup here on my laptop or on my server.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @AdrianHall,

Thank you for the ticket ID, I've replied via email :smile:

• AdrianHall
    AdrianHall
    Community Member
    Options

I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM, HURRAH :-)

There was an addon in Firefox that I knew nothing about, I did not install it and several anti-malware programs said it was just that, malware. And it was never detected by Windows Defender.

What is even worse it did not show on the Firefox Addons page, I could only see it on the about:performance tab. Even then it could not be disabled or uninstalled.
    I had to find it in file manager, delete it manually and then go into the windows registry and manually remove all the entries.

And the culprit was: Adblocker for Youtube

Thanks for all your help and advice.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @AdrianHall! Thanks for letting us know. This is one of the downsides to Firefox's ethos of openness; it can make it easy for nefarious software to find its way into your Firefox profile. In any case, I'm glad things are working now. Let us know if you have any other questions.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• djmares
    djmares
    Community Member
    Options

i too am having problems with firefox ver 51. could you clearly explain the steps to get 1password working with it in one place. or send email to your customers regarding the problem and the fix.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@djmares The challenge is that the causes can be wildly different from user to user. Some might have an extension conflict. Others might have antivirus that is preventing the extension from downloading. It's just not possible for us to offer a one-size-fits-all answer. Could you let us know a little more about the specific problem you're having?

• When you open Firefox, do you see the 1Password button in the toolbar?
    • What happens if you click the toolbar button?
    • If you visit the sign in page on a site for which you have a Login saved and click the button, does that Login show in the list that pops up?
    • If you see the Login, what happens if you select it?

Let us know.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.