Can't get Mini window to snap to centre of screen

Options
lyndondrake
lyndondrake
Community Member

Hi,

If I try to get my 1Password mini popup to snap to the centre of the screen, it animates to the centre, but when I release the trackpad the window springs back from the centre to the point where the mouse cursor is.

Any thoughts?

Lyndon

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.5.3 (653001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lyndondrake,

Hmm, that's an odd problem! I don't think I've heard of this before. Just to make sure I understand what you mean, you can open 1Password mini and drag it around the screen, and you see it snap to the center of the screen if you slowly drag it near that position, but as soon as you let go of the trackpad, it jumps to the position of the mouse cursor?

I've been trying to reproduce that on my own Mac, but so far the mini window always stays where it is when I release the trackpad. It doesn't seem to matter for me if it snaps to the center of the screen or if I leave it in another position. You specifically said this happens when it snaps to the center - if you drag the mini window somewhere else, does it stay there?

One thing you can try is to restart 1Password mini: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Then try moving mini around the screen again. Does it behave differently? If it has the same problem, please also reboot your Mac. After it restarts, try again.

Does that help at all? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• lyndondrake
    lyndondrake
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry for taking so long to respond to this. Restarting 1Password mini, or rebooting the Mac, have no effect.

I've made a ScreenFlow recording of the problem and wondered if you could give me an address to send a link to? I can either send the original SceenFlow file or an MP4 export.

Best,
    Lyndon

• rudy
    Options

@lyndondrake,

how are you engaging mini? by keyboard shortcut? are you using multiple screens?

Rudy

• lyndondrake
    lyndondrake
    Community Member
    Options

The problem occurs on single or multiple screens, and yes it's by keyboard shortcut (if I'm in the browser and launch it using the toolbar button, 1Password mini displays immediately below the button, not floating on the screen).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @lyndondrake. If you click on the 1Password extension button in your browser and then use your trackpad to drag that window to the center of the screen, does the same problem happen?

Also, if you drag the mini / extension window to some other location on your screen, does it stay there when you let go of the trackpad button?

• lyndondrake
    lyndondrake
    Community Member
    Options

Re the browser button, yes, same problem.

If I drag to another location, yes, it stays there.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lyndondrake,

Just to be sure we aren't misunderstanding you: When the mini window jumps to where the mouse is, that's happening right after you drag it to the center of the screen and it snaps in place there, right? Or is it possible you mean that it snaps to the center until the next time you use the keyboard shortcut to open mini (at which point it appears where your mouse is located)?

Sorry for all the questions about such little details, it's just that we aren't able to reproduce anything like this on our own Macs, and I don't believe we've heard anything like this from other customers. So I think it must be something very specific about the configuration of your Mac which is causing this. Do you happen to use any third party software that affects the behavior of your trackpad? For example, if you use anything that provides additional trackpad features, that could have something to do with this.

You don't happen to have access to a mouse that you could use with your Mac, do you? If you do, can you try reproducing the same thing using the mouse instead of the trackpad?

• lyndondrake
    lyndondrake
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,

No worries about all the questions, but it's pretty hard to explain verbally. Any chance you can give me an email address, and I can send you the ScreenFlow recording? It'll make things a lot clearer if you can see it, is my guess?

The problem is solely about mouse usage. It is impossible to get 1Password mini to put the window at the centre of the screen; wherever it ends up, it reappears in the same location if I trigger it by the keyboard shortcut.

I don't have any trackpad software, and I can reproduce the problem with an external trackpad. I don't have an external mouse.

Best,
    Lyndon

• rudy
    Options

@lyndondrake,

If the goal is to get it back to centered and less about dragging it to center you could try typing this in terminal and then attempting to invoke. defaults delete 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper HelperWindowLocation No relaunch of mini should be necessary, so if it doesn't seem to work then you might be using the Mac App Store release.

This should kill the saved window location that its trying to restore to when you invoke and take you back to Apple's concept of "center" on the main screen (which is just slightly above the actual center of the main screen).

Rudy

• lyndondrake
    lyndondrake
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on the Mac App Store version… Should I switch to the non-App Store one?

• rudy
    Options

@lyndondrake,

The command for that one would be defaults delete 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper HelperWindowLocation

But it might be worth it to see if it behaves any differently.

Rudy

• lyndondrake
    lyndondrake
    Community Member
    Options

That works. Gets it back into place, and I can now get it to snap back to the "centre" spot

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! I'm really happy to hear Rudy's suggestion took care of that. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.