Two related problems

I've been remiss in asking about these two problems, they've been occurring for well over a year and through several versions of 1Password. Whenever I use "Open and Fill" two things occur that shouldn't.

1. Every time 1Password logs in, it also opens a second browser tab in Safari of "Favorites".
  2. When the login credentials automatically populates, I still have to click "Submit" or "Login", etc., even though I have all logins configured to automatically do this if the site permits. It will not happen in any of my logins.

Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I just now realized I posted one of these problem (opening two tabs) back in May 2016 and it was never solved. The other, regarding the need to always press SUBMIT or LOGIN when using Open and Fill, has never been posted and is a new problem.

On some sites I am able to get around this by changing 1Password to "Always Submit" rather than "Submit When Enabled". I thought either should work if the site allows, but clearly this isn't true.

Should I try changing all my logins to "Always Submit"?

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

Check your settings in Preferences > Browsers. Do you have a checkmark in "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords"?

The per site setting "Submit when enabled" refers to that setting.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Yes, it's checked. I think it's important to note that in every instance of 1Password not automatically submitting, if I change "Submit if enabled" to "Always submit" it works perfectly. This is true even here in your own forum.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I have over 120 logins. Is there a batch method to change them from "Submit if enabled" to "Always submit"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ: That's definitely not normal, and I think it would be better if we get to the root of the problem rather than making you resort to editing individual logins. Can you tell me a bit more about your setup? Which browser version are you using, and do you have the Mac App Store version of 1Password by any chance?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@brenty: Over the past couple of days I had forgotten about submitting this problem because I've been busy trying out 1Password Families and have made a lot of changes in Preferences. One change was to turn off "Automatically sign in after filling in usernames & passwords", then turning it back on.

For whatever reason, it is not working as expected, except on sites where you have to click on "Sign In" and a Javascript credential window opens. I don't think there's any way to get past these other than to just fill them from the Menu Bar 1Password after they've opened.

Regarding the extra homepage tab that opens "every" time I click on "open and fill" in 1Password, that's something I'm going to have to live with. I have Safari configured to open each new page in a new tab. If I change that to open every page in a new window, the problem goes away. I would guess 90% of browser users prefer new pages to open in a new tab, though.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @LarryMcJ,

It's hard to say what we can do about the tab issue you're seeing and I'll explain why. The way that 1Password works is when you click on a website field in a Login item we take the stored URL and pass it to MacOS. From the viewpoint of 1Password that's it, task completed. We leave it to the operating system to pass it to the default browser and then the browser takes over. A default copy of Safari has the following settings.

General tab

• Safari opens with: A new window
    • New windows open with: Favourites
    • New tabs open with: Favourites

Tabs tab

• Open pages in tabs instead of windows: Automatically

With these settings open and fill opens a single new tab and takes me to the site stored in the website field. I tested two scenarios; where the single active tab was empty (so displaying the favourites) and when the single active tab contained a loaded page. I also tested when there was no Safari window open at all but the application was running and this opened a new window with a single tab open for the site stored in the website field. I would be curious to learn:

1. How you have those options set.
    2. What you're seeing. I've read the conversation so far but I'm not sure I'm really picking up on the bad behaviour.

In your reply to Brenty you said:

For whatever reason, it is not working as expected

I almost get the feeling that maybe the computer autocorrected you and you wanted it to saw now working based on the rest of the sentence. Would I be correct or misunderstanding? The way that submit after filling works is to simulate the pressing of the enter key after we've filled the fields and left focus on the password field. The reason we do it this way is twofold; 1. Most sites respond to this 2. Attempting to interact directly with specific components on the page is likely to be very unreliable across a selection of sites. If my suspicion is correct and the majority of sites are now working then it sounds like you're experiencing the expected behaviour. It's hard to say in retrospect but if you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password then it's possible a particular file that is easy to create in the AgileBits Store was perhaps missing in the Mac App Store and your tinkering caused 1Password to finally create it as it needed to for this to work. That's just a theory though, I could be wrong. All that really matters is whether it's working or not.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Definitely either an autocorrect or mistake on my part, since I wanted to say "it is now working".

Regarding the tabs, maybe these screenshots will help. Whenever I click on "open and fill" with Safari "closed", Safari opens with a tab of Favorites on the left (not in focus) and the target tab for 1Password on the right (in focus). This happens 100% of the time I use "open and fill".

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

What does your General tab look like? That's pretty much what my Tabs tab looks like although by default the When a new tab or window opens, make it active isn't enabled. Enabling it didn't see any difference for me when I tried using open and fill.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Yeah, I tried checking and unchecking that preference and it didn't make a difference, either. Here's a screenshot of the General tab and I've already played around with changing the configurations of the first four, but maybe I missed something.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @LarryMcJ,

It's odd. My homepage wasn't set but I tried setting it to what you have and I still can't replicate the behaviour you're seeing of a second tab opening.

What happens if you try the following?

1. Copy a URL into a new note in the Notes application.
    2. Select the URL and right click. Select the option titled Make Link.
    3. Close Safari and click the link in the note.

Does it open without the surplus Favourites tab or with?

I'm also curious, do you have any other extensions installed and if you disable them is the issue still present?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

No, from Notes the URL opens as expected, in a single tab without the extra tab. 1Password is one of two extensions installed, the other is "Save to Pocket", which I just added, so that can't be the problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

Well I'm currently out of ideas. I would be curious to learn if you see the same issue in a brand new OS X user account but it would require a little bit to perform the test. It would require creating a new user account and then creating a test vault for 1Password in this user account and installing the 1Password Browser Extension in Safari there too. I fully understand if that sounds like too much faffing about though. What it would potentially teach us is whether it's something specific to your user account or this Mac.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

We're on travel and using the same MBP, so actually, it's no trouble at all. I'm using 1Password Families and my wife has an account on this MBP and has her 1Password and Safari installed on her account. First, know that this occurs on both our Macs at home when we were using individual 1Password accounts. I just installed the Families trial a few days ago, but she already had 1Password and Safari setup on this machine. I simply converted her 1P account to Families.

With Safari configured the same way as with me, when I go to her 1Password account on this Mac, everything is exactly the same as with me. All 1Password logins open the extraneous Favorites tab, whether or not they're in her personal vault or our shared vault. So, to answer your question, it's not account specific. And since it happens on both our iMacs at home and also on this MBP, it's not machine specific. The only thing left that could possibly cause it is we have something configured wrong on three Macs in either Safari or 1Password, yet you say your configuration looks the same as mine. Is there anything in 1Password's preferences that could affect this? If so, I don't see it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @LarryMcJ,

I've tried everything I can think of to replicate what you're seeing. I even played about with options that I couldn't imagine would be a factor on the off-chance that I was assuming something I shouldn't have.

If I have just an empty tab in Safari open (so a window exists) then whether I use open and fill from inside 1Password or click on a link in another application it will open a new tab. If I have no window open at all then everything I've tested has 1Password behave the same as if I clicked on a link in another application.

Are there any must have Mac utilities that you can't be without, pieces of software that would be present on all Macs? I know I have a number myself. I love Magnet to help with window management, Cookie to help keep my browsers caches tamed and so on. Are there any you can't be without that purport to help/interact with a browser at all?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Sorry, but there are absolutely no such apps or plugins. In fact, on my MBP I keep things very lean since all I use it for is travel. But even on my iMac, I just don't use any of those apps. I'm pretty much a purist when it comes to apps...only using what's necessary. What's so odd with this is I'm seeing the same thing on both my Macs and also my wife sees it. On this MBP she has a Families account since I setup that trial version recently, but back home we both have individual 1Password apps setup on, and we both experience this behavior.

Oh, well...it may remain an unexplained mystery forever :-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

It has me stumped. We're running the same version of MacOS, 1Password, browser and extension and we've checked as many settings as I can think of. There has to be a reason but I don't know what it is. For the moment at least though it has me somewhat defeated.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Would it help if I report it via email support and reference this thread?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @LarryMcJ,

Not really, you'd probably find the email makes it way to me :lol: I work with the extension a lot so myself and two other colleagues tend to handle the majority of these types of questions both here in the forums and in our ticketing system. Email support is great for if we ever need to review a diagnostic report (useful for certain issues but not all) or if a person feels uncomfortable using our public support forums. I didn't go down the route of a diagnostic report because I didn't think it would help given what it contains.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

OK. Not that it makes any difference, as I'm not going to stop using 1Password, but have we pretty much reached the end of the road on this one? If so, I'll just acclimate to the extraneous tab opening or try to adapt back to opening Safari with a new window instead of a tab, though I'd rather not do that.

I think what still puzzles me most is that it's happening to two users and on three differentl Macs. If it was just on my machine, my account, I could understand it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I don't want to say we've reached the end of the road permanently but we may need an epiphany, that eureka moment where we make some connection that wasn't considered before. I only say that given we've looked at everything obvious.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Just one more thing I noticed while changing some settings. If I set "New windows open with" to "Empty Page" it works fine. But if I set "New windows open with" to any of the other four options (above the line), then Safari opens the desired 1Password target and the extraneous tab.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

Thanks for your patience while we've been trying to figure this out! I wanted to let you know that I reproduced this on my own Mac in different browsers, and I reported it to our developers so they can look into it (I don't know if it's actually a bug or if there's a reason it behaves this way).

In case you're curious, I was able to find that 'open and fill' only opens an extra tab if no other windows/tabs are currently open in the browser, and if the ‘New windows open with’ and ‘New tabs open with’ settings (in Safari > Preferences > General) are set to Favorites, Top Sites, Homepage, or Same Page. So if it bothers you, there are a couple workarounds: you can either have a window/tab open in Safari before using 'open and fill', or you can change those Safari settings to 'Empty Page'. Or of course, you could simply ignore (or close) the extra tab. ;)

ref: OPM-4828

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

@Drew_AG: Yes, earlier in the thread I mentioned the two workarounds I'd already found, but I appreciate that you're still working on this. I've already chosen to just configure Safari to "Empty Page" for now. I do prefer it to open with Favorites, so I'm hopeful there will someday be a solution. I'm just happy that someone was able to replicate it :-)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Wow, I'm so glad to hear @Drew_AG was able to reproduce this issue! Hopefully we'll be able to sort it out in the near future.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, Jamie. It's certainly not a huge deal, but I'm also glad it could be reproduced. As good as you folks are, I know it will eventually be found :-)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

:)

This discussion has been closed.