Firefox used to be my default. Now it's Chrome. But...

When I click "open and fill" both Firefox and Chrome are launched. I've checked the Windows settings and all defaults are set to Chrome? Firefox just opens, Chrome gets the URL.

What gives?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 64
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:launching two browsers

Comments

• Hi @DoctorDan,

Thanks for writing in.

We've seen this before after Windows updates, they tend to damage the default settings for opening URLs. It is not our doing, it's Windows 10, it's been happening ever since Windows 10's first update came out.

To fix this, reset the default browser back to Edge and then back to Firefox. After this, it should only open in Firefox.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll try it.

• Let us know how it turns out.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

No, that didn't work. If you noticed, I said that Firefox "had been" my default browser and I changed it to Chrome.
    Behavior after setting chrome as default:

• choose a link in 1PW and click
    • Firefox opens
    • The, after a few seconds, chrome opend

Behavior after setting Edge as default:

• click link
    • firefox opens
    • a few seconds later, the system says something like - we've provided this great new browser called edge but you are not allowed to open it.

Behavior after setting chrome as default again"

• choose a link in 1PW and click
    • Firefox opens
    • The, after a few seconds, chrome opend

BTW - if I set firefox as default it opens one firefox window immediately and a second after a few seconds.

If it walks like a big and talks like...
    maybe this is a bug rather than a feature.

And I'm sure that you will tell me that no one has reported this before.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @DoctorDan,

It has been reported and in all cases, it is because of Windows 10's updates. Not to mention, many some folks noticed it months after the last 1Password update (meaning no change from us), the only commonality was the Windows update, the Nov 2015 one and a few other updates later.

My next suggestion is the following posts here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/259099/#Comment_259099

First, make sure 1Password's settings has the right browser set to open and if yes, try resetting the defaults manually for http/https. If not, the other suggestion is to allow Microsoft to reset it back to Edge and then set it back to Chrome.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

I'm confused. Your reply says "make sure 1Password's settings has the right browser set to open" and the url displays:

I'm also running win 10 and my preferences pane looks like this:

As you can see there are no 1PW .settings that relate to a default web browser.

Please help me out here. I'm baffled by the fifference.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Alsom you will note that the label refers to a double-click action.

Clicking on a url to open it is a single-click action an therefore, should be unrelated to this setting - but - it is not.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @DoctorDan,

It's the click on the item list in the main 1Password interface, clicking on an item only opens the detail view for that item but double-clicking on it will open in the default browser.

Your current setting is set to edit the item, if you expand the menu for double-click, you can change it to Open the URL in the browser and set it to Chrome.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

As you point out, this preference is supposed to relate to what happens after a double-click on the item list in the main 1Password interface.

My original question was about what happens when I single-click on the "open and fill" button associate with an individual item.

If the double click behavior is set to open Chrome and Chrome is also the default browser at the system level, then one chrome window opens.

If, on the other hand the double click behavior is to "edit", the single-clicking on "open and fill" opens TWO browser windows. One is always Firefox and the other is my system-defined default.

I hope your following this distinction. I have tried wording my description on it several different ways but the point that the single-click behavior on the url of an item is interacting, somehow, with this double-click setting seems to be getting lost somehow.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @DoctorDan,

Thanks for the clarification.

1Password does use that setting for Go and Fill as well. Once it has a browser configured (stored in registry), it will try to use it for everything. Without the browser configured, it will use the system's default browser. That's why I've asked to check 1Password 's double-click setting as it is the only way to set the browser explicitly and it stays even if you've set it back to Edit. That means if your default browser is set to Chrome but if you've set it to Firefox in 1Password, it will only open in Firefox even if you set the double-click option back to Edit. It definitely is very confusing and we're going to approach this differently in 1Password 6, every setting must be explicit, it cannot do more than one thing, and we must avoid using the registry, since previous settings could affect how 1Password works, not to mention what Windows updates does to the registry.

However, it definitely should not open in two separate browsers. Let's say it is a bug in 1Password, I've been trying this for the past hour, I cannot get 1Password to open two separate browsers for me, it is always the same browser I've configured as Windows' default and/or 1Password's setting. I've tried using Firefox as the middleman but it didn't do anything weird. I did notice Firefox opens two tabs if you set Firefox as default, the first "new tab" page and the site tab. This is a Go and FIll issue with Firefox, we're looking into a new version of Go and Fill that may fix this issue.

Could you email us your diagnostics report, it will list the registry settings 1Password is using, it may give us an idea. Use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member

Sent
    Thanks

• We got the email, will reply as soon as possible.

ref: UTF-63562-473

This discussion has been closed.