Single user version vs. family version?

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Families

My wife has used the MAS "Family Sharing" version of my 1Password app for many years. If we start paying $4.99/month for the family subscription version, are there any advantages? Extra features? I'd be willing to consider the $60 annual payment if there were good reasons to spend it. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: macOS Sierra
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @LarryMcJ - We appreciate the support over the years :-) It's great to hear you're interested in giving 1Password Families a test drive.

When you sign up for a Families account you have the ability to invite up to 5 family members per subscription. Each family member has access all of our apps (Windows, Mac, Android and iOS) even future upgrades. You can even view your 1Password data via the web from any device. There is no sync set up required since we take care of all the syncing on our end. Each family member by default receives a Personal & Shared vault. Personal vaults can only be accessed by that member, not by you or anyone else. All members also get access to a Shared vault, and you can create additional vaults to share with specific members and manage things a bit more.

For instance, I added my banking and social account information to our Shared vault. Now my wife has access to this data in the case of an emergency. I love the peace of mind knowing my wife has access to this data and we have to ability to easily share items in a safe & secure environment. We include a 30 day trial giving you an opportunity to fully test out all features without having to add a credit card. You can read a little more about Families here - https://1password.com/families/

Let us know if you have any questions and we'll be happy to help out. Have a fantastic day!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Frank, thanks for the detailed reply. I did read about 1Password for Families on your site, but basically what I'm trying to ascertain is whether it's worth $60 change from just using the individual user versions we both use now. Could you point out any good reasons to switch? Or let me know of anything I can do with the Families version that I can't with the individual version? Thanks.

• Hi @LarryMcJ - For me personally, I found the value of sharing 1Password data with my wife. With Families, it's super easy and convenient to share any common 1Password data in a safe & secure environment. You just have to move the item over the Shared vault now anyone in the family has access to this data - https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

1Password Families is also more secure to use. When you create an account, we provide you with a unique Account Key. Your Account Key is a long string of randomized characters that you only know. The Account Key is used to fully encrypt your data in conjunction with your Master Password - https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

Account Recovery - You have the option when you create Families account to add a recovery member. Now if you or someone else listed on the account forgets their account key or master password, a recovery member can come to rescue. When an account is recovered, we provide you with a new account key and you also have an opportunity to create a new password -

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

With Families, there is no need to worry about backups or syncing with a third party. Everything is taken care of in house. We take care of all the syncing and backups on our end. You also have the flexibility to access your data from anywhere via the web. You just sign in to the Families account using your customized url domain and your data will be there waiting for you.

I hope this helped a bit. As I mentioned previously, you can always create an account and give it try to see how it works for you. I'll be more than happy to help out. Have a fantastic day!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

The ability to move logins or secure notes from my vault to my wife's sounds compelling. Obviously, now I have to share the login via email, message, etc., and then install it into her 1Password app.

1. If my current 1Password app has over 120 logins and my wife's has about 30, can we import these into the Families trial version?

2. Will our current 1Password apps work on our iPhones, or is there another app for Families (I don't see one)?

3. It sounds like there is also either a web app, or web page, that displays our 1Password data?

4. I want to make sure that viewing 1Password on our Macs or iPhones will display "only" that information designated for either me or her. I don't want a bunch of her shopping logins that I have to sift through :-)

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi @LarryMcJ - Thank you for getting back to me and I'll be happy to address your questions. So let's tackle them one at a time below:

If my current 1Password app has over 120 logins and my wife's has about 30, can we import these into the Families trial version?

Yes, you definitely can migrate over your existing data to the Families account. When you sign up for an account, you will provided with a Personal and Shared vault. Only you have access to your Personal vault, nobody else. The Shared vault is where you want to move any common data to share with your wife. She will have the ability to do the same when you invite her over to the account.

Will our current 1Password apps work on our iPhones, or is there another app for Families (I don't see one)?

You can use your existing apps with the Families account. You just have to add it under 1Password Accounts section under settings.

It sounds like there is also either a web app, or web page, that displays our 1Password data?

Yes, this is correct. You can sign in using the Families url you set up to access your data from any device. The only way to access your data is using the two keys - your unique Account Key and your Master Password.

I want to make sure that viewing 1Password on our Macs or iPhones will display "only" that information designated for either me or her. I don't want a bunch of her shopping logins that I have to sift through :-)

Love this! So funny :-) Yes, you only have access to your data. Each member receives a Personal vault when they create an account. You only have access to your specific Personal vault and then the Shared vault. So no worries, you don't have to see the shopping logins.

You're very welcome and I'm glad I was able to help out. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions. We're always here for you!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Last question. Our current 1Password apps are from the MAS. If I sign up for the Families trial on your sight, it's going to require my email address. Will this conflict with what we have configured now with the two individual 1Password apps? I don't want to mess up anything we have configured now. Thanks again for all the great help!

• Hi @LarryMcJ - Great question and thank you for checking with us. You don't have to worry about any conflicts using the same email address. I actually signed up for my Families account using the same email address. You're good to go!

I would recommend signing up for a Families account here - https://1password.com/families/

During the sign up process, you can even use the same master password. Also make sure you print out your Emergency Kit. This contains your Account Key a space to write in your Master Password. Keep this in a safe & secure location. It's been a pleasure speaking with you today. Keep me posted, I'll be more than happy to help out if you need any assistance with getting started. :-)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, Frank!!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Frank, sorry for the additional questions, but I signed up for the trial and just have a few more questions.

1. I added the Families account to my Mac and to iPhone, but in the iPhone it displays I'm in the trial mode and I can upgrade for $6.99. I already own the iOS Pro version of 1Password, so what is the $6.99 for?

2. If I decide to keep the Families subscription, how do I pay for it? And can I pay for an annual subscription and save over a monthly? Then, I suppose the key I have now becomes validated and works on my Mac and iPhone for 12 months.

3. Last, when I go to the 1Password web UI, though it looks exactly like my Mac, clicking on "Open" in any Login does nothing. IOW, it won't seem to do an "Open and Fill"...or maybe it's not supposed to?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Frank, I'm really liking the Families version...quite sure I'll change to the subscription model from what we have. One other thing, after the migration process I now have "Personal" and "Shared" vaults, so should I delete the old "Primary" vault since it causes duplicates when "All Vaults" is selected?

• Hi @LarryMcJ - It's great to hear back from you and congrats on the new Families account :-) I'll be happy to address your questions:

I added the Families account to my Mac and to iPhone, but in the iPhone it displays I'm in the trial mode and I can upgrade for $6.99. I already own the iOS Pro version of 1Password, so what is the $6.99 for?

Yes, we include a 30 day free trial to give you a chance to test drive all the features before having to associate a credit card to the account. Once you subscribe, that upgrade message will go away under settings on your iPhone. The $6.99 is if you decide to subscribe through iTunes which come with limitations since you can only choose "monthly" as a billing cycle. I would recommend subscribing through our website on the billing page once your trial is coming to an end so you have the option of selecting an annual billing cycle.

If I decide to keep the Families subscription, how do I pay for it? And can I pay for an annual subscription and save over a monthly? Then, I suppose the key I have now becomes validated and works on my Mac and iPhone for 12 months.

If you're happy with the Families account after your 30 day trial. Log into the Families account and then click on the account name on the right hand side then select Billing from the drop down menu. From here you can add a credit card to the account -
    https://support.1password.com/1password-com-billing/

Last, when I go to the 1Password web UI, though it looks exactly like my Mac, clicking on "Open" in any Login does nothing. IOW, it won't seem to do an "Open and Fill"...or maybe it's not supposed to?

You're correct, when you click "open" it will bring you to the website then you can use the browser extension to take care of the rest. Open and fill is not an option via the website compared to how it works in the apps.

One other thing, after the migration process I now have "Personal" and "Shared" vaults, so should I delete the old "Primary" vault since it causes duplicates when "All Vaults" is selected?

Yes, you can definitely delete your Primary vault once everything has been migrated over to your Personal vault. To do this -
    Open & unlock 1Password on your Mac > Click 1Password in the menu bar, choose "Switch to vault" from the drop down menu > Select your Primary vault from the list > Click 1Password in the menu bar and select "Delete Vault". You will have to enter your master password before the vault can be deleted.

Great questions! Let me know if you run into any additional questions as you begin to explore your Families account. I'll be happy to help out. Enjoy the rest of your day :-)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Again, thanks for all your tolerance and help. I know I'm being anal about this, but I just want to make sure it's working as I expect and I don't want to lose any data along the way.

Just thought of one more regarding backups. I thought the Families subscription took care of backups on your site? But looking at "Backups" in Preferences the ones on my local machine are still displayed. And if I "Backup Now" it adds yet another one.

• Hi @LarryMcJ - Oh no worries, I want to make sure you get the most out of using 1Password Families :-) I'm here to help. Yes, we take care of all the backups. I think the reason you 1Password on your Mac is still creating a backup is due to your Primary vault. Once your Primary vault is removed, that will go away ;-) Keep me posted and have a wonderful day.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

There is probably no turning back now. I've deleted my old Primary Vaults and we're completely setup on Families. Still a few issues to figure out, but as soon as I do I'll purchase the subscription.

1. (This one scares me a little) I moved 22 Logins from my Personal Vault to our Shared Vault and now those 22 Logins are in my Personal Vault Trash. They're still in the Shared Vault, but I'm afraid to empty the trash in my Personal Vault without your OK. When an item is move from a Personal Vault to a Shared Vault, is it normal for it to also go to the Personal Vault Trash?

2. I was using the 4.6.2 Safari Extension and a few minutes ago I happened to see something on your site saying 4.6.3 was the latest. I downloaded and installed it, and now when I press the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar nothing happens. Until I hear back from you I'll keep trying to figure out why this happened and see if I can find the 4.6.2 version. Should I be using the one from your site or the Apple Safari Gallery? (UPDATE on the Extension. I uninstalled 4.6.3 and installed 4.6.2 from the Safari Gallery and everything is working again.)

3. As you said, the backups in Preferences went away when I deleted my Primary Vault. But now that they're taken care of on your side, how often is 1P backed up? And where can I grab the last backup should I ever need it?

Thanks again, Frank!

• Hi @LarryMcJ - I hope you're having a great day so far. It's a snowy day here in Connecticut :-) I'll be happy to address your questions below:

(This one scares me a little) I moved 22 Logins from my Personal Vault to our Shared Vault and now those 22 Logins are in my Personal Vault Trash. They're still in the Shared Vault, but I'm afraid to empty the trash in my Personal Vault without your OK. When an item is move from a Personal Vault to a Shared Vault, is it normal for it to also go to the Personal Vault Trash?

This is normal behavior. When "moving" items over to a separate vault it will move them to the trash. You also have to the option of "copying" the items over to another vault and the data will remain in both locations. But keep in mind, when you make changes to the original item, the copies won't update as this would result in sync conflicts and duplicates. I hope this helped.

I'm happy to hear the Safari extension is working again :+1: Yes, you have to remove the older version to avoid the confusion.

As you said, the backups in Preferences went away when I deleted my Primary Vault. But now that they're taken care of on your side, how often is 1P backed up? And where can I grab the last backup should I ever need it?

We back up everything regularly. Anytime you make a change or add a new item, your data is backed up. If you ever want to create a back up on your end, you can follow the steps in this guide to export your data - https://support.1password.com/export/

If you do export your data, remember when it leaves 1Password it's no longer encrypted. You want to make sure you add the file to an encrypted external hard drive. But again, we take care of the backups so need to do this unless you want to.

You're doing great! I love the questions and I'm happy to hear you're exploring all the features. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Have a wonderful day!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I know about the snow in CT...I used to live in RI. Also, we have friends in Wolcott, CT who are coming down to visit us in Gulf Shores, AL next week while we're on vacation here. They're hoping the airports aren't closed when they are supposed to fly out :-)

Thanks for the clarifications, so now I can empty the trash without worrying :-) The reason I asked about the export is probably a moot point. I generally reinstall macOS every couple of years, but I just realized I wouldn't need anything but my account key and password and the rest would happen automatically.

Thanks again for your help!

• On behalf of Frank, you're very welcome.

Rick

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Quick additional question. Should I wait until the trial is almost up before subscribing to the Families version? Or will the subscription begin at the end of the trial? Thanks.

• Hi @LarryMcJ - Great question and it's nice to hear back from you :-)

You can add a credit to the billing page now then once your trial has ended your card will be charged. We won't charge you until the trial is over. Thank you for checking with us and let me know if you have any further questions. Enjoy the rest of your day.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• Anytime, Larry, we're always happy to help :-)

This discussion has been closed.