1Password Opens Without the Master Password

Options
lanta
lanta
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Just upgraded 1Password 6 for Windows to version 6.3.359. I now find that if I close down 1Password WITHOUT first clicking the lock icon, the next time I start 1Password I do not need the Master Password.

1Password Version: 6.3.359
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @lanta,

Thanks for writing in.

That can be normal. Closing 1Password does not close it entirely, you still have the running 1Password mini in the background for the integration support with your browsers.

You should see the 1Password icon in your notification area on the bottom right, you can right-click on it to select Exit if you want to terminate 1Password.

You can also change the auto-lock timer in 1Password's security settings if you want 1Password to lock itself after you stop using the computer.

• lanta
    lanta
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for the updated information, Mike. I decided to try auto-lock, but it's not working for me. Here's what I did:

Clicked on the Settings icon, selected Options. Clicked on Security. Set Auto-lock to 1 minutes [sic]. Closed 1Password by clicking on the X in the top-right corner. Right-clicked on the 1Password icon in the notification area in the bottom-right and selected Exit 1Password to shut down "1Password mini" completely. Re-opened 1Password and typed in the Master Password. Got back into the Security settings and confirmed that Auto-lock was still set to 1 minutes. Then I minimized 1Password and used other applications in Windows for awhile.

After more than 5 minutes, I re-opened 1Password, and found that it was still unlocked (ie. not needing the Master Password again).

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @lanta,

Did you stop using the keyboard/mouse for one minute? It's one minute of computer inactivity, not one minute of inactivity in 1Password.

• lanta
    lanta
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, sorry. I understand now. It does indeed auto-lock if I don't touch the keyboard or mouse for the auto-lock timeout period. Thank you Mike.

• I'm glad that is clear now and you're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

This discussion has been closed.