Edge extension support

Options

Hi.

I'm "that guy". That one that uses Edge on a regular basis, not just for kidding or showing off.

I know, I have searched before, I'm not the first one to ask this.

But nobody have asked it lately so I'm tempting my chance: When will Edge's support arrive ?

Some of your competitor already have an Edge extension (like Lastpass). Well, I'm not trying to sound menacing or anything but the fact is here: They have one and you don't.

Is it planned ? Is it in development ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @LoosGuccreen. Not sure if you saw this post, but it's still basically the latest info I have to share. I can say that we are taking steps that are necessary for Edge support, but the 1Password for Windows team has some other higher priority items on their list right now that are preventing us moving forward on Edge specifically. The good news is that the APIs that we needed in Edge to add support are in current Insider previews, so things are moving along. It's slow, but given the amount of platform cooperation we need, I'm happy with how things are progressing. Unfortunately, I can't offer a more specific timeframe right now. I know this is not exactly the answer you're looking for, but I do want to reassure you that this is indeed something we are working on and unless something very strange happens, we will have Edge support in the near future.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• LoosGuccreen
    LoosGuccreen
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that's nice to hear ! Thank you for the feedback.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure, @LoosGuccreen. Stay tuned. :)

• Padaung
    Padaung
    Community Member
    Options

I'm another who 'uses Edge on a regular basis, not just for kidding or showing off'. It's a great browser.

This is encouraging news regarding 1Password extension support. My fingers are crossed* for it arriving following the release of the Creator's Update of Win 10 this spring :)

*Seriously, my fingers are crossed, and my legs and toes ;)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Padaung,

There are a number things we need to do but everything is looking promising and I think we're slowly making progress. We're working on Chrome at the moment because everything we do there will act as the scaffolding for Edge support later but it is still our intention to support Edge so that Windows users can make use of the supplied browser if they wish, just like Mac users can use Safari if they want to. I wish I could offer a timeframe but I can't. I have no doubt there will be an announcement though when we do to make sure anybody that has been waiting learns of its release :smile:

• joeday
    joeday
    Community Member
    Options

I'm a Windows insider and would be happy to help alpha/beta test the Edge extension. Not sure if you guys do that, but figured I'd offer. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joeday: Thanks for chiming in! When we have something we can share publicly, we'll let everyone here know. We'll be excited to share, and also to have passionate testers. :)

• cj_martinez
    cj_martinez
    Community Member
    Options

I'm here as a long time 1Password user (on iOS since the days of yore) who uses Dropbox sync for the vault. I'm considering moving over to the new subscription model but found out there is no Edge extension and guess what? I love Edge and use it as my main Windows browser. I read the team's answers from February and March 2017 and the linked post from November 2016, so my question is: what is the status or timeline for this at this stage? Those answers corresponded to older versions of Edge so I believe asking at this point is relevant. Thanks for all the work! 1Password is the most importan app in my phone :-)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up, @cj_martinez. Edge support is indeed coming. Edge extensions have to be bundled in with Windows apps using the UWP app system. Building 1Password into a UWP app is a significant undertaking beyond the regular desktop app. Our Windows team is hard at work on the UWP app. When it is available, it should also have the Edge extension built in. We have been testing it internally during these early development days with the UWP process, and it seems to be working fairly well. Right now, the UWP app is still in early development, so we don't have anyone using it extensively; we'll know more as we get results from more dedicated usage. Thanks for your enthusiasm for Edge and your patience as we continue to push forward to an Edge-compatible release. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In case it helps anyone else, we've had a pinned thread about this in the Windows category of the forums for a while now:

Edge and 1Password: A Work in Progress

And we'll be excited to announce when we have more to share. Cheers! :)

• cj_martinez
    cj_martinez
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your replies @jxpx777 and @brenty . Keep up the good work. I'll be upgrading soon and will adopt the Edge extension when available.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for the kind words. We're here if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.