[UI] Size of the "copy" button in v6.3 [Fixed in 6.4]

Options
grossolini
grossolini
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I liked it when, previous to v6.3, the "copy" icon was larger than the others. Now they are all the same size, and it gives me pause every time I need a password.
Please keep in mind than not everything is web-based, and half my passwords are SSH or some other tech that requires me to open the main app, look for the password and copy-paste it in the right tool. So finding the right button quickly matters to me.

Here is a screenshot:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz1P7lhSviUURjdvUy1mZVFmNzg

Regards,

1Password Version: 6.3.370d
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Win10 build 15025
Sync Type: n/a

Comments

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about the access problem with the link for the screenshot. I just changed it to Public.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @grossolini,

Thanks for reporting this.

First, I've moved your thread to our Windows Beta forum as you're using a beta version at the moment.

Secondly, there's a bug where the buttons next to the fields are not scaled correctly. You may notice if you use Control + +/- shortcut to increase or decrease the font size across the interface, the buttons aren't scaling with it.

We'll get that fixed as soon as we can.

Please keep in mind than not everything is web-based, and half my passwords are SSH or some other tech that requires me to open the main app, look for the password and copy-paste it in the right tool.

We hope to support this better in the future when we re-implement Auto-Type in 1Password 6. For now, what you can do to speed this up: bring up 1Password mini via Control + Alt + \, search for the item you need and right-click on the item to select Copy Password like this:

Custom fields will show up via the submenu if you have more fields.

In addition, if you focus the field and press Control + C, in the main app, it will copy the content for you right away.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah thanks for the tips but, as I said before in another thread, I had to disable the keyboard shortcut that pops Mini up. I am a developer and Windows triggers the same shortcut with Ctrl+Alt and with Alt Gr, so that makes 1 key unavailable to me, which I need as part of my daily routine... When I try to use a key that I never use like "^", 1Password does not bind to it. Pretty much all other keys get used often.

• Hi @grossolini,

Sorry, I didn't recall the other thread. Did you change your forum avatar by the way? I normally remember by the avatars.

We'll see if we can get the full hotkey editor implemented soon, we've tried a while ago but there was some kind of conflicting issue with Windows not accepting a full combination. Hopefully, the next attempt will be better.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT maybe I hadn't set up the avatar for that thread, yet.
    Anyway I found a key that works for me, so no worries there. Thanks for the tips, that saves me from having to find and click on the smaller button, and generally improves my flow.

• You're welcome and that's great to hear.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

May I suggest an improvement over your suggested workflow? Could you make it so hovering over an item in Mini enables us to copy the main password via Ctrl-C? Right now, copying applies to the search box and I'm not sure what use case there is for this. That would greatly improve the flow by avoiding the keyboard-mouse-keyboard interface switch.

Example: when I am in a keyboard-based tool, I could bring up 1Password mini, search, use arrow keys to select the password I want, and then either copy its main password right there, or perhaps bring up a menu with the keyboard's Option key (right now it applies to the search field, not the selected item). This would allow me to work much faster.

Thanks,

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

In addition, hovering over each field by pressing Control + C in the main app will copy the content for you right away.

I'll +1 @grossolini 's workflow suggestion as that would streamline mini usage greatly.

Also MikeT, your comment quoted above doesn't quite work for me. Simply "hovering" over each field doesn't copy anything. You have to "click" anywhere on the highlighted bar before Ctrl-C pulls the contents. I would like hovering better, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I've noticed that as well: hovering isn't enough, we need to click before being able to copy the field value. I don't mind though, I'd rather have a full-keyboard approach.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi guys,

I apologize for my inaccurate info about the hovering support, I've just checked in again with our team and found out hovering is not going to be supported, we may revisit in the future if we can find a way to make it more reliable to use. For now, you do have to focus the field by clicking into it or focus the item and then use the arrow key to get to the field before using the shortcut to copy. We might look into supporting double-click to copy the field if possible.

As for the keyboard shortcuts in 1Password mini, it's not yet fully implemented. We're working on redesigning 1Password mini for the upcoming 1Password 6.4 update and we do want to make 1Password completely controllable with just keyboard only but it's going to take some time. This is important for accessibility reasons as well.

@grossolini,

Could you make it so hovering over an item in Mini enables us to copy the main password via Ctrl-C?

Yes, it is in the plan but it most likely will be Control + Shift + C that we already have in the main app's item list.

Right now, copying applies to the search box and I'm not sure what use case there is for this.

There isn't because there's no full keyboard shortcut support in 1Password mini. We default to focusing the search box, so that you can type right away to narrow the list and any text shortcuts you use, it's in the search field only.

@jhamer,

You have to "click" anywhere on the highlighted bar before Ctrl-C pulls the contents. I would like hovering better, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Sorry, I've corrected my original post, it now requires an explicit focusing for the moment. We liked the idea of it but the chance of copying the wrong data is high when you could have a different field focused accidentally or maybe the search field is focused. We'll revisit it in the future.

• jhamer
    jhamer
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding the hovering clarification... Understood and thanks. I like the idea of double clicking as well, if that makes it into the mix.

Appreciate your efforts!

• We do want to figure out how to blend the buttons next to the field, so that you can just click once on the field to copy it, like in the macOS version. That might negate the need to do the double-click as well.

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member
    Options

Any news on mini keyboard support?

• Hi @tylex,

No news, we're starting the process of redesigning it in 1Password 6.4 updates now but shortcuts will arrive later.

• Speaking of which, the field buttons now scale with the font size changes in 1Password 6.4 betas. @grossolini

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT I'll be concise: I care less about their size, than about the size of the password button relative to the others (see screenshot in my first post). Or any other UI trick to make it stand out (bold edges could work, or a different background colour, etc).
    I just need to not have to think about it.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@grossolini: It would be strange (from the design point of view) to have one element bigger than the others. :) But your point is taken, we will discuss it internally. We are constantly trying to improve the design and the UI of 1Password 6 and your feedback is crucial. Thanks!

• @marksmyth You will like the 6.4 update then. We've redesigned the user interface for these buttons to make them clearer and accessible (to users of screen readers, too).

Cheers,

Alex

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marksmyth: The desktop app isn't optimized for touch, though we'll be making improvements there. In the mean time, if you simply tap on the field, you'll get the Reveal, Large Type, and Copy options to the right. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.