no option to purchase 1password license outright [1Password 4 is no longer for sale]

Options
sylvsangco
sylvsangco
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Is there no option to purchase a one-time 1password license for Windows? From what I understand, I have to download the trial version, wait for the free trial to expire, and then purchase it. (I'm running Windows 7 on my PC.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sylvsangco,

Thanks for writing in.

We recommend checking out 1Password.com subscription if you haven't yet, it is going to be the future of 1Password on Windows and 1Password 6 is available with 1Password.com support. It supports Windows 7 and above and you get 1Password apps included on all platforms we support. To find out why this is better than the local license, I'd suggest reading this: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

• sylvsangco
    sylvsangco
    Community Member
    Options

No, I would just like the single license. I feel like you guys are force-feeding us this new subscription model -- even if it is the future of 1password -- by removing the option to purchase the single license on your home page. Do I have to wait for the free trial to expire before purchasing it?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@sylvangco, Dave Teare has stated that there will be both standalone and subscription versions of 1Password. The standalone version is currently at 1Password 4 with 1Password 6 being feature incomplete and a free download.

Try here:
    https://1password.com/downloads/

or here:
    https://agilebits.com/downloads/

Although it's not being offered, I would pay for a lifetime subscription account.

• Hi guys,

@sylvsangco,

You can buy the standalone bundled license at our old store here. We've stopped offering platform-specific license and switched to a desktop license that covers both Windows and Mac.

@wkleem,

Although it's not being offered, I would pay for a lifetime subscription account.

That's not sustainable and will never happen. Just keeping the servers running all the time along with bandwidth costs is very expensive, they have recurring costs and that's not including the costs of funding the customer service team along with the developers to keep working on new features all the time.

• zefunkyfisherman
    zefunkyfisherman
    Community Member
    Options

I wish to buy a standalone license for Windows, but all I see offered in the store are licenses for macs. How can I purchase a standalone license for a Windows computer?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zefunkyfisherman: Since we're no longer actively developing 1Password 4 we've stopped selling licenses for it. But shoot us an email at support@1password.com and we'll see if there's anything we can do to help. Just post the Support ID you receive here and so we can get back to you sooner.

• JohannesMP
    JohannesMP
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT with all due respect, moving to a web-based approach was a choice you guys made as a company, and so the problem of there now being servers that you have to actively maintain and cover the cost of every single month is a self-imposed limitation.

I've used 1Password through Dropbox on Mac since 2012 and it always served my purpose well:

• I loved that it was a single purchase, and not a monthly subscription
    • I loved that I had the option of storing Vaults locally, or on my cloud platform of choice, because that gave me peace of mind. No cloud service can guarantee they'll be around in 5 or 20 years.

I specifically chose 1Password over other more cloud-based password manager solutions for these reasons. I've probably been responsible for convincing at least a dozen people to buy it (back when it was still a $50 single license).

I'm one of those crazy people that prefer paying $400 for a copy of Photoshop that they own for life instead of a monthly subscription.

I feel the same way about 1Password. I am worried that a subscription model may not be the right approach, since syncing over dropbox or icloud had the same benefits to the user, without the added server maintenance cost on you guys.

• dillera
    dillera
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This is bad news. I made the mistake of installing 1P6 on windows 10 just now (a new computer) and realized all this subscription mess.

I'll just install the existing copy of 1P4 that I have and forget that you guys are ruining this great product. When the day comes I can't use it anymore on Mac without an 'account' then I'm moving to something else.

Sad.

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @JohannesMP,

I'm one of those crazy people that prefer paying $400 for a copy of Photoshop that they own for life instead of a monthly subscription.

First, you're not crazy at all, there is a huge difference between renting/borrowing an app and owning it for life. Not every app can justify the subscription model and every user has unique needs that will not be met by either one automatically. I'm going through this right now with leasing or buying a car, I don't know the best way to go there right now but I like the idea of having both options.

since syncing over dropbox or icloud had the same benefits to the user, without the added server maintenance cost on you guys.

That's not the case for all users, it is for you yes but not all. Let me explain:

First, iCloud does not allow you to share vaults with other users (family members, coworkers, friends, etc) and individually, you cannot sync more than one vault (due to how iCloud handles private databases for users). iCloud at the moment is limited to Apple platforms, no Windows and Android support.

Dropbox lets you shared a specific folder but you must give your vault's password vault to the other users, meaning they have the absolute power to see and edit everything in that vault. Now, you have to maintain various vaults to ensure you don't give anyone total access to your 1Password data. You're required to install the Dropbox client on the computers and keep it running, some users have concerns that Dropbox is requesting too much of the OS to keep running and many do not trust them.

The number of users not backing up their 1Password data is also increasing because of them being mobile first and desktop last, only the desktop apps can do automatic backups and to store in different locations. Dropbox/iCloud are not backup solutions.

So, as you can see, it is starting to get more complex over time. Ten or even five years ago, I would agree with you, the subscription would be an overkill. Now, it is essential for my family, many of who didn't use 1Password before but does now because it is simpler.

Here's where 1Password.com can do what it can't with local vaults:

1. For more than one user, you can invite others onto your account (no need to share your master password), share vaults with specific permissions (read-only, no copy, etc) and so much more. You can create an isolated vault to share with a guest, like a babysitter or a contractor and revoke access to it later, something you cannot do with a shared vault via Dropbox or anything else.
    2. There is no step for syncing or backup. Just sign in to your 1Password account and 1Password app takes care of the rest for you, the data shows up right away. Plus you get access to 1Password.com web app for when you cannot install 1Password like at work computers.
    3. You actually get all 1Password apps included on all platforms, it's included in the fees and there are no extra costs, meaning you get all future versions as well. Sign in, you can automatically update to all versions forever. Even if you let your subscription expire, you can still try out newer versions in the future because we don't kick you off our services, we only limit the write support, you can still sign in and read your data with any 1Password apps.
    4. There are more benefits you can see here: https://support.1password.com/why-account/

That's why local licenses + upgrades and 1Password.com subscription isn't easily comparable, 1Password.com is not a simple sync service, it is so much more.

moving to a web-based approach was a choice you guys made as a company, and so the problem of there now being servers that you have to actively maintain and cover the cost of every single month is a self-imposed limitation.

Yes, that's a decision we've made and it's based on what our team experiences with our customers every day, we have a large number of users who had issues trying to get Dropbox (or iCloud, etc) to work by themselves and in a shared environment with family members, coworkers, and even just by themselves. The numbers of that compared to 1Password.com? Almost very little, that's why we made that decision, we want our customers to have the best possible experience when it comes to multiple devices and complexity of syncing/backing up that can only be negated by a central server managing these things for the users. We cannot replicate the same experience with a third party sync service that we cannot integrate on a deeper level, especially when these services have their own roadmaps and market that is not aligned with our own needs. And yes, we are actually seeing a lot of users willing to pay for this experience. Unfortunately, we totally understand 1Password cannot fit the need for everyone and we will keep trying to improve the value of 1Password.com service and we always review our pricing to make sure it is right.

That is not to say that 1Password.com will be the only method of using 1Password from now on. All we've done right now is stop selling new licenses to an old version of 1Password for Windows that we are not going to be providing new feature updates to anymore. The situation is awkward on Windows (yes, by us) by the fact that the young 1Password 6 for Windows does not support local vaults, which is something we still plan to add later down the line, it's just not something we can add right now. That is on us and us only. We are trying to expand our Windows team to speed up the development quickly but speeding development up has its own problems that can have the funny effect of slowing everything down.

I loved that I had the option of storing Vaults locally, or on my cloud platform of choice, because that gave me peace of mind.

I agree but that peace of mind is not promised for the future. There is a reoccurring development cost to maintain the support after you buy a license, we don't just stop working for you as soon as you buy our product. I'll explain more below but the problem is that the environment 1Password runs in is not static. The OS, cloud platforms, browsers, security, and so on changes every all the time, you still need someone to update the app to work on the future platforms. Firefox is killing off the support for the JetPack SDK that we use for our 1Password extension in Fall. If we didn't have anyone working on a new version, there would be no Firefox support later this year.

The only way to keep 1Password apps working all the time for you is to stay static; with the same OS, same browser version, same cloud platform, etc and the only negative thing that you'll get is security issues over time. Just look at XP for an example, Dropbox has removed support for syncing there and the massive number of security issues just by running XP alone is increasing every year. Now, this is a weird example because XP is more than a decade old but I'm just mentioning why owning an app for life isn't as good as it sounds.

However, license upgrades could fund the development as well but not a lot of folks want to pay the full price again after 3-4 years of free updates, so we still have to offer discounted upgrades. This sadly is unsustainable for some companies, which is why subscriptions is becoming a popular trend for businesses of all sizes. By the way, we're a small private Canadian company if you're curious, no VC funding or anything of that sort.

No cloud service can guarantee they'll be around in 5 or 20 years.

Yep, you can generalize that to local products too, no one can guarantee anything. Just because you have a license to 1Password 4, doesn't mean it will run on Windows 11 or 12 and without a usable app, you may not be able to read the data without going back.

The one thing that could, is a sustainable business model that feeds the humans (and their families) to keep working to update the apps for you all the time.

We can easily go out of business even if we sell licenses only. Imagine everyone buying a license 5 years ago and don't upgrade at all. Both Apple and Microsoft are now releasing OS upgrades every year, browsers are updating every month or two, and there are security related changes almost all the time. Dropbox themselves changes their APIs every few years. In fact, they're getting rid of their API version 1 in a few months, so you're going to see us updating 1Password apps on all platforms to support Dropbox API v2.

You're not just paying for the code, you're paying for the humans that cares about protecting your data all the time. Let's go further, the cost goes into feeding us and our families.

• jtodd
    jtodd
    Community Member
    Options

Subscription models are non-starters for my company. We have software life spans of 5+ years, and from both a cost and risk perspective this is unworkable. We use our own filesharing systems, and all platforms must be self-contained. The architectural decision to force users to use your service solution is extremely disappointing, and we will be migrating away from 1Password. This move is highly surprising, and generally entirely antithetical to privacy and stability concerns of people who run large systems at scale. We are happy to pay the price of well-written software - just tell us the cost. It is a false argument to say that the only way your families will be fed is to move to a subscription model - we're not quite that new here to believe that. I will simply take my dollars elsewhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017
    Options

@jtodd: I think you'd be right if users had different expectations with regard to software. However, most people expect it to work out of the box without a lot of fuss, and be continually improved. The only way for that to truly work sustainably (without banking major updates for upgrade fees that is, which frankly also frustrates most people — both because of the unpredictable financial outlay and migration confusion) is to charge accordingly.

But I don't know your situation. Maybe most of the software you're using that you only pay for once every 5+ years is static and doesn't change substantially over time. Security software in general doesn't work that way (and shouldn't, and really can't), and frankly 1Password users expect — and deserve — more than that. It wouldn't be outlandish for us to charge a subscription just for the work we're constantly doing to improve browser filling, and a 1Password.com membership offers far more than that.

• dvkwong
    dvkwong
    Community Member
    Options

The main reason I used 1Password was because it was offline, and I could control where my data is stored.
    In this day and age where governments are undermining the security of the internet I would feel safer not storing data in the cloud.
    I understand you guys want to make more money via subscriptions and is less coding maintenance.
    Unfortunately I will not be one of these customers......back to Keepass

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @dvkwong,

Thanks for writing in. We do understand and we've built 1Password.com knowingly that our servers and protocols will be compromised and still keep your 1Password data protected, which we already succeeded recently with the Cloudbleed situation. Even if we're entirely breached, it doesn't give them access to any usable data, it's all encrypted. You can still access your 1Password data locally and the said attackers will not be able to get into your data without knowing your 1Password master password and Secret Key together. In many cases, it will be easier to breach your computer to grab your local data and run a brute-force attack. We also do external security audits all the time and we have a 100K security bounty program.

In addition, we built 1Password.com because it allows for a much easier experience for most of our customers and it has worked as well given the positive feedback we're getting already over the past few years. It's not about revenue, it's about simplifying the overall 1Password experience by removing the sync/backup out of the equation, making it easy to share data securely between family members, friends, and co-workers.

Regardless of what you choose to do, we'd also ask that you consider advocating for your government to protect the Internet and promote security for it. It impacts everyone, regardless of what tool they use. Keep in mind that everything you do in 1Password or KeePass can be easily compromised by the said governments (or any criminals) compromising the sites you're visiting. No password manager is going to protect you from these compromises. You'd have to stay completely offline, including no online banking.

• badankan
    badankan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Just adding a couple of general thoughts, if it's out of range what can be posted then please delete it :)

I feel that people are misunderstanding each other here.. In terms of storing data at third party cloud servers, the data is out of the users control. There can be intrusion on the third party (1Password, KeePass, Google, Microsoft etc) that can lead to data leaks. Now, whether the data leaked is encrypted or not, the issue is still that the data has gotten in to malicious users hands.

The comparison towards online banking is not really fair, the bank is responsible for the data that is stored and there are government agencies enfording this. Also, if there is an intrusion to the banks system, they are held responsible and often the government (or the bank itself) guarantees the money that you have at the bank to some degree.

Even if the data leaked is encrypted and salted, the age of quantum computers are rapidly closing and when they are generally available, cracking some cryptos will take mere seconds instead of years.

Talking about work experiences, our password management needs to be on a server located in a secure datacenter without internet access, so using an online services is out of the question for us, but then again we also need auditing on passwords, something that not all products support yet..

Just a couple of thoughts..

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @badankan,

Thanks for writing in.

There are legal compliance standards we and any cloud service providers have to comply with and we're willing to work with any standards that our customers want us to comply with in order to provide additional assurances. We do have a technical whitepaper that goes into details on what metadata is included or not included.

However, we do understand that 1Password.com will not meet everyone's requirements and as such, 1Password is not a good fit for your use case, we most likely won't have any customers that will require dedicated secured isolated data centers, this is not our target market at the moment. On the other hand, if we provide a self-hosting version of 1Password.com, that's a different story that could meet a lot of requirements but this is far down the line and no promises if it will happen. In this case, you'd set up your own server stored in the dedicated isolated data center and have a special VPN access to access it remotely.

We're just getting started and we're starting small, so who knows where we will be at in a few years.

• badankan
    badankan
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

Thanks! I look forward to when you have 1Password server ready, and am willing to give feedback to what we need in features and auditing if wanted :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @badankan,

If and when we do have it available, may we reach out to you via email? If so, is the email address correct in your forum's profile?

This discussion has been closed.