Copying a new generated password doesn't work [1Password.com acct is required in 1P6 atm]

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: A Thread Just for My Bug Reporting, Feature Inquiries, etc..

Comments

• ddmmyyyy
    ddmmyyyy
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hello, and good morning to you

Just a quick one really.

Has anyone else noticed that the "copy" button doesn't seem to work on the Password Generator?
    Although, of course you CAN easily highlight and copy manually, this really makes the need for the button obsolete.

Anyway. That's it. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Although quite minor, this could potentially cause a problem, as the user would be forgiven for thinking they had copied the generated password and then enter it into a form (which you generally can't see with it being a password field). I hope that makes sense.

Thank you and have a great day! !

• @ddmmyyyy ouch, that's true, copy does not work! I'll get to fix it asap. Thanks for letting us know :)

• @ddmmyyyy i've found that we could do better job by explaining why Copy does not work. There can be a number of reasons, in my case i had no vaults where it can save new item, because i have had only frozen 1password.com accounts or local vaults attached. As soon as I have active 1password.com account attached - Copy creates new item in my personal vault. Are you able to create new item?

• ddmmyyyy
    ddmmyyyy
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm really sorry, but I don't quite understand what you are referring to within your question.
    If you mean can I generate a new password, then yes. I can do that all day long.

The only way to copy the chosen password into a form however, is to manually highlight, and then copy as you normally would.

• Sorry, i was not clear enough - when you click "+ New Item" button, does it work?

Copy button first tries to save new Password item, then it copies password to clipboard. If clipboard copy doesn't happen - most likely it failed to save item to your vault.

Are you using beta version? I can add more details to diagnostic report and we can figure out what's not working in your case.

• Hi @ddmmyyy,

To be clear, 1Password 6 does not support local vaults, the ones you load via Dropbox, OneDrive or via local folder. It cannot save new data, which is why if you try to copy the generated password, it doesn't work because it cannot autosave a new password item into your local vault. This is a behavior we will improve in a future update to explain 1Password cannot save the data.

You have to have a 1Password.com account, which is fully supported in 1Password 6, in order to take advantage of the Password Generator's ability to save the new password items.

This discussion has been closed.