1Password extension for Microsoft Edge [Available now in the Windows Store]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@imacken: It's too early to say for sure, but at the very least we'll mention in here. You can also keep up with AgileBits and 1Password news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements. Cheers! :)

• bernardof
    bernardof
    Community Member

I see Lastpass is on the Windows store as an extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bernardof: They're (in)famously using a very different style of extension. 1Password's browser extensions rely on the native apps. This means we don't have to store any sensitive data in the browser (which is good), but also means we need robust API support for the two to be able to communicate. So we've been working with Microsoft to get what we need to be able to make 1Password work in Edge the way it can in other browsers. Cheers! :)

• bernardof
    bernardof
    Community Member

Ok cool - good to know! Thanks for explaining.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem! Have a great day! :chuffed:

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member

Like others here, the only thing stopping me from using Edge is no 1Password support, and since I'm not a big fan of Chrome, the wait is killing me!

I'm downloading the Creators Update right now. Any word on when the extension will be available? Will it support the standalone version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve23: Edge support will use 1Password 6 from the Windows Store when it's released, as that's required to use the APIs we need. So it won't be possible to support Edge in 1Password 4.

Currently Chrome on Windows has the benefit of being the only browser where 1Password can use Native Messaging, and since that's more efficient and reliable (no more fighting with antivirus software!) it's the best option today.

We don't have a time frame for Edge support, as there are a lot of different pieces to that puzzle, but it's what we're focused on right now. We're as impatient as you are. ;)

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member

@brenty: That's a pity. Any chance the standalone version will be supported at some later time? I really like 1Password 4 and I don't feel inclined to switch to 6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve23: I kind of doubt it, but you'd have to ask Microsoft their plans for Edge in the future, as currently the only way to get access to all of the APIs we need for Edge would be to distribute through the Windows Store. We definitely don't have plans to port 1Password 4 there, and I'm not sure it would technically even be possible.

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member

@brenty: I may have misunderstood you here. When you refer to 1Password 6, do you mean the standalone version?

• Hi @Steve23,

By 1Password 6, we mean the program itself. Right now, 1Password 6 for Windows only supports 1Password.com memberships. Over time, we'd like to add full support for local vaults and licenses.

There are no separate 1Password versions for different services. For an example, 1Password 6 for macOS and iOS can support both local vaults and 1Password.com membership.

We wanted to add 1Password.com service to 1Password 4 but its codebase wasn't flexible enough for it, so we've decided to build a new flexible codebase like the way macOS/iOS unified codebase have. However, it is not feasible for us to add both local vaults and 1Password.com at the same time, so we're working on 1Password.com memberships first and local vaults can be added later.

• Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member

@MikeT: So what I think you're saying is, 1Password 6 is the web-based version, 1Password 6 for Windows is a standalone program connected to the cloud, and 1Password 4 is fully standalone. Correct?

Why does macOS and iOS get all your attention, and when is 1Password 6 for Windows going to catch up? I really love your product - I've tried a few password managers and yours is clearly the best - but you seem to have your priorities screwed up.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2017

@Steve23: The Windows app gets a lot more attention these days. After all, we've built a new app from the ground up there — not something we've done on the Apple platforms in years. If you think that's "screwed up", the alternative would be not supporting Windows at all going forward. That would have been much easier! Personally, while it's a lot of work, I'm glad we went this route instead. :tongue:

Just to clarify, 1Password 4 is a mature Windows app with full support for local vaults, while the new 1Password 6 app has support for 1Password.com accounts. Neither is a "cloud" app; rather, the latter is a native Windows app that works with the subscription service so it can be used offline, and without a web browser. Cheers! :sunglasses:

• Hi @Steve23,

@MikeT: So what I think you're saying is, 1Password 6 is the web-based version, 1Password 6 for Windows is a standalone program connected to the cloud, and 1Password 4 is fully standalone. Correct?

Not really, it may be because our definitions of standalone/cloud is different. All 1Password products are local products with their own local database, they can differ on what goes in and out of the said database. I'll explain;

1. 1Password.com is a separate platform where we provide an integrated 1Password experience by taking out third party sync/backups, licensing, and the difficulty of sharing data between users out of the equation by allowing our own servers to manage these for you. It's not a program at all and it is not a "web" version of 1Password or 1Password 6 specifically, it's a platform we can use within our 1Password apps but it doesn't replace them. The apps and 1Password.com service are two separate products. 1Password.com are constantly updated and there are no major versions, the apps have to be updated to support newer features on 1Password.com.
    2. 1Password.com service have APIs that we can use in our native programs to connect to it. We also built a web app where you can sign in to your 1Password.com account with a web browser. So technically, the web version of 1Password is the web app that you can log in at https://my.1Password.com or if you have Families/Teams, you get a special domain at https://team/family name.1Password.com.
    3. In 1Password programs, we must manually build against the said 1Password.com APIs. 1Password does not stream data from our servers. When you sign in to your 1Password account first, we download all encrypted data from the servers and then store it into your local 1Password database to decrypt when you need to access it. When you unlock, we communicate with the servers on what we need to do, the servers are in charge of keeping everything in sync for you but the servers does nothing else. Encryption, filling, everything else is still in charge by the 1Password programs. It's the same program for all services; local vaults, 1Password.com, Dropbox, etc. There is no such "web" or "cloud" version of 1Password programs. Instead, there are 1Password programs with support for 1Password.com.
    4. All 1Password programs, except for 1Password 4 for Windows, have a local database where we download data into, it does not matter where it came from, it can be 1Password.com, local vaults via Dropbox, iCloud, and so on. The difference is how we read and write to this local database, that means we have to take the time to build the custom code for each service. Note that the features we use work against the database, not the data type specifically. In other words, when we add the ability to favorite an item, it works the same way for 1Password.com, local vaults, and so on because they're all part of the same database. The differences will be how we sync to the services, we "export" to a different format. 1Password.com is sending a command to update a specific row in your 1Password account stored on 1Password.com servers, Dropbox is updating a specific 1Password file stored in your local vault folder/file, iCloud is updating a row of the private 1Password database stored in your iCloud account and so on. So, by focusing on finishing up 1Password 6 and 1Password.com, it does not mean we have to go back to the beginning for local vaults, most features work the same way because we're reading/writing to the database and the way we sync, it'll be tuned for that specific data structure. We just haven't done the custom code for local vaults because it is not that simple as we have two separate formats (agilekeychain/opvault), 10+ year worth of internal format changes and so on that has to be built.
    5. As you may notice the exception for 1Password 4 for Windows, 1Password 4 does not have a database, it reads/writes to the 1Password folder directly. To support 1Password.com service, the program must have a dedicated database and more code to support it. We did try for a long time to overhaul 1Password 4 but it didn't work out and as the result, we lost a lot of time. Instead, we went with a brand new codebase (alas 1Password 6) and it now has a database. After this, we started with 1Password.com because we still have 1Password 4 with local vaults and it would be more efficient to focus on 1Password.com first as there was no effective Windows version that supports 1Password.com. The codebase is not designed to work only with 1Password.com, it has the database that is agnostic to what data goes in and out.
    6. 1Password 6 for macOS and iOS has a unified codebase that we rebuilt 2-3+ years ago and at the same time, we were also looking at 1Password.com and used the unified codebase to learn how it can work. Naturally, 1Password for macOS/iOS has the best-supported database out of all 1Password apps and we're working on updating all 1Password apps to match the parity as fast as we can. We cannot reuse code between all apps, so every new feature has to be built by hand on each platform we're on.
  • Steve23
    Steve23
    Community Member

Thanks for that @MikeT. I am currently using 1Password4 for Windows connected to a "database" in OneDrive, and I have the 1Password app on my Windows phone. All I want is for it to work with the Edge browser. It would be nice if the phone version was read/write rather than read-only, but I can live with that for now (I hear you have removed it from the Windows Store).

When 1Password6 finally gets released with a "standalone" option, will we be able to pay a one-off fee for it like 1Password4, or will it be subscription-only?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Steve23: It's too early to say. Local vaults aren't something we're working on now, so we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. It's no good selling a "standalone" version without that.

It won't be possible for 1Password 4 to support Edge, but we're working hard to get 1Password 6 back in the Windows Store. Thanks for letting us know what's important to you!

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member

Just thought I'd chime in to say I'm looking forward to the extension as well. I'm guessing that it will be announced via email or will it be announced first on the forums?

• Dwimmerlaik
    Dwimmerlaik
    Community Member

Just thought I'd chime in to say I'm looking forward to the extension as well. I'm guessing that it will be announced via email or will it be announced first on the forums?

• jshepler
    jshepler
    Community Member

I have to say, I am very frustrated to hear this news. I have bought the 1Password app on the Mac Platform, Windows Platform, and the iOS platform multiple times. I did this because I used this to be a cross platform solution since even before there was a Windows version. I have been waiting for quite some time as has everyone else to get this product to work with Edge. I really do not want the subscription model, I would rather just continue to purchase the software the same way I have in the past and continue to use it as I have been. Now you are saying that this will not be possible with my current version of 1Password 4. I feel that this is abandoning a big portion of your user base. I have refused to use Edge up to this point because of the lack of a working extension for it and now I learn that there never will be an extension for it? So what are those of us that are not interested in the subscription model of licensing and want to maintain our own local databases in something like OneDrive or Dropbox supposed to do? I had to switch from using Dropbox for syncing to OneDrive due to corporate firewall policies. I would never get an exception for a third party site pushed through.
    It seems to me like my only choices are to abandon Edge forever or to abandon 1Password forever, am I missing something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dwimmerlaik: I think it's more likely that we'll have a blog post about this (rather than email), but we'll definitely announce it here as well. Thanks for sharing our passion! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jshepler: I'll admit that I don't use Edge full time either, even though I rather like it, primarily because it doesn't work with 1Password. So I feel, perhaps similarly, that I'm used to going without it, so if it doesn't work out in the end (success isn't guaranteed), that I'm at least no worse off than I was. And if you haven't been using Edge in the first place, you won't be losing anything either if you're not able to use it with 1Password in the future.

As I mentioned previously, we're not able to get access to any of the APIs we need to support Edge with 1Password 4, as it requires the Windows Store, which is only possible with the new 1Password 6 Windows app we've been building using Microsoft's latest tools. 1Password 4 is no longer being actively developed (though it will continue to receive any critical fixes), but it wouldn't be possible to do any of that regardless. Sorry I don't have better news for you.

• As of today 1Password Beta shows up in the Windows Store when I search to open it locally, and then when I click that it shows 1Password Alpha in the Windows Store. Right above where a download button is it says, "1Password Alpha is currently not available."

That's exciting and I thought I'd FYI everyone interested.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ShieldSean, it is too early to get excited, but we are working on it! :chuffed: Please stay tuned.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Troneas
    Troneas
    Community Member

Up! We need edge extension :p

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're working on it. :tongue:

• atrius
    atrius
    Community Member
    edited June 2017

First of all, thanks for 1password. I don't know what I would do without it. it is an awesome application especially on MacOS.

I know it is off the topic but I just wanted to say I think what ShieldSean is referring to is an issue that still needs to be addressed.

What he is seeing isnot a new alpha/beta but the leftovers of the current version's public alpha/beta stage many many months ago (close to two years?)

• Currently there is no way I can find 1password in the Windows Store with the keyword "1password". The only way I could figure is to type it in Cortana.
    • Cortana will then find a 1Password Beta app in the store but the landing page will say 1Password Alpha
    • You can go ahead and install it but then when started the app says it has expired and final version should be installed which it links to
    • Trying to update to a new version works, yet it installs a v6 version that is buggy and way too old compared to what is currently available.
    • Update functionality also does not work in my experience with this supposedly "latest" version.

At this point one needs to give up and google "download 1password windows"

If the person is not lucky, then they will end up on agilebits.com's download page, which has the latest Mac version but for Windows there is only version 4 available. It may give the impression that v6 is not publicly available for Windows.

Only finding download page of 1password.com and knowing Windows Store will not give you a stable version of the application will get you the latest version of 1password v6 for windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@atrius: Regarding the 1Password.com download page, it does include the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there.

I'm sorry for the confusion about the Windows Store version though. For obvious reasons, we don't want to remove the app from the store completely, as some folks are still using it. But it is only available to users who have already "purchased" it, not for new downloads. That's a compromise we made since, as you mentioned, it is very out of date. Months, not years. If you're seeing an app that's years old, you're on a very outdated OS. And unfortunately we can't remove the older older version without removing the app from the store completely.

We're working on an updated version, but this will not work on outdated Windows versions (it will require Windows 10), and I can't say when it will be ready. In the mean time, if you're using a Windows device capable of running any Windows desktop app (i.e. not a phone or other UWP-limited device), be sure to install the latest version from the Get the Apps section in your 1Password.com account.

I don't think this is off-topic necessarily. It's unfortunate that it isn't! You're right that these issues haven't been fully addressed, but the only way to do that is for us to finish the new version...and until then removing the app entirely isn't an ideal solution either. We've just got to keep working on it.

• Once_Nice_Twice
    Once_Nice_Twice
    Community Member

And now it is June. Got Windows 10 Creators on desktop and laptop. Nothing for Edge, yet. Can't force Firefox to grab that 1Password extension, not by begging on my knees, not by brute force. I was with the dark side (LastPass) for too long. I am desperate to come over and be a longtime paying client of Great Time that produces and supports Great Product - HELP, Mr. Wizard...

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@Once_Nice_Twice, thank you for reaching out!

1Password extension in Microsoft Edge requires an UWP app and we are working really hard on it. I have no news to share at this point and I hope for your understanding.

As for the extension in Firefox, please send us an email to support+windows@agilebits.com and we will be happy to help you with it.
    You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Suapport ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thank you very much in advance! I will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Once_Nice_Twice
    Once_Nice_Twice
    Community Member

Greg - Will report same by e-mail - the answer seems to be to download the Firefox extension using Chrome (gag me with an old sock!), then drag into Firefox to install. That worked.

Inability to upload > 200 CSV rows from one file? You should just tell us about that - I figured it out, but many will fail that barrier.

Best, John

This discussion has been closed.