1Password extension for Microsoft Edge [Available now in the Windows Store]

Comments

• punkdaft
    punkdaft
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate - 6.7.457 to start with before installing Edge extension. Now on 6.8.469 after uninstall / reinstall of Edge extension. Same error.

• @punkdaft: Well, you destroyed one of my theories off the bat, but I'll still take a gander. Thanks! :+1:

• Hi @punkdaft,

Do you use any anti-malware solution beside Microsoft's Windows Defender?

Another user who was affected by this also saw this issue with other Windows Store apps and it had something to do with the registry.

Once we get your diagnostics report, we can try to take a deeper look.

• punkdaft
    punkdaft
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT - no additional malware defence software. Today I boot my machine and the extension is working as it should, which is strange because I did reboots between installing 2 versions of 1password and the extension.

• Hi @punkdaft,

Hmm, that's good news in a way but we'll keep looking into it.

• Roanoke
    Roanoke
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hello bundtkate,

I'm using Win10 Professional (64-bit) with the latest updates and 1Password 6.7.457.
    Anti-Malware: G-Data Internet Security 25.4.0.1

Every time I try to start the extension the error message occurs.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the extension (two times). I restarted the computer and tried again but the error message remains.

• @Roanoke: Thanks for the extra info! Since you're still seeing this error, I'd like to ask you to e-mail us a diagnostics report, preferably generated right after you see the error. This may well show us nothing since this is a system dialogue and not coming from 1Password itself, but it's a good place to start and ensure we're covering our bases:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com and please use [#BEQ-18348-311] (including the square brackets) as the subject of your e-mail so that I will be notified when it arrives. We'll take a look and let you know via e-mail if we need anything else from you.

Thanks! :chuffed:

• vedichymn
    vedichymn
    Community Member

I can't get the extension to appear at all. I'm running 6.7.457 and the creators update all patched up. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the extension but nothing ever appears.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

@vedichymn: Can you be more specific? Have you enabled it in Edge ( ... > Extensions)?

• vedichymn
    vedichymn
    Community Member

@brenty Sorry, by "nothing ever appears", I meant that it doesn't show up in my Edge Extensions menu, even after I have installed the app. I've tried rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling and nothing seems to help.

• Wilhelm
    Wilhelm
    Community Member

Another bit of feedback: The extension stopped working again (for no apparent reason) this morning. I did all the normal attempts to recover to no avail, and then hit uninstall (last option). It flash up with Uninstalled and then re-appeared with the attached message. When I clicked 'Close' the extension was also removed. I reinstalled and now it's working again fine

• vedichymn
    vedichymn
    Community Member

@brenty Well, after the last round of windows updates it just magically appeared, so yay I guess?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vedichymn: That's great news! Thank you for updating me here! Weirdly, I've had extensions disappear after updates, but I'm glad that you've experienced the opposite in this case. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Wilhelm: Thanks for letting us know! That is pretty weird. Perhaps something with the Windows Store updating. I admit I still don't have a good handle on how that works, and I often find that apps "disappear" as, apparently, they are being updated behind the scenes. I wish there was more user feedback in these cases! :lol:

• ramac34
    ramac34
    Community Member

Just thought I'd let you know that I enabled extensions in Edge and turned on 1Password within the browser. So far so good and very exciting. I've been actually waiting to upgrade my Windows phone until 1Password got something working with Edge. I know I am like 1 out 7 people in the world who still uses a Windows phone, but no matter, it does what I need it to do. I will wait for the official announcement before I take that leap, but do you see any reason why I couldn't do it now? Many thanks to all you who are making this happen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Likewise, thanks for your patience, support, and passion! We're really glad (understatement of the year!) to finally share what we've been working on with you and everyone else. I think the blog post is about as official as you're going to get. But just to clarify, 1Password is not available for Windows Phone. I'm sure you'll enjoy it on your PC though. Cheers! :chuffed:

• ramac34
    ramac34
    Community Member

Is that an absolute, or a "just not yet" regarding availability on Windows Phone?

• ramac34
    ramac34
    Community Member

I answered my own question - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81177/1password-is-no-longer-supported-on-windows-phone. But shouldn't I be able to bring it up in the browser on the latest Windows Phone with the latest OS update?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is that an absolute, or a "just not yet" regarding availability on Windows Phone?

@ramac34: I always hesitate to say "never", but this is about as never as it gets. Windows Phone has no support for Edge extensions and will almost certainly never gain that ability now.

I answered my own question - https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81177/1password-is-no-longer-supported-on-windows-phone. But shouldn't I be able to bring it up in the browser on the latest Windows Phone with the latest OS update?

Microsoft has publicly declared the end of life for Windows Phone after effectively abandoning the platform for quite some time now, so we don't have plans to build a new app there. You may, however, be able to use 1Password.com in your browser...but I'm not sure how up to date that is now either. :(

• @ramac34

But shouldn't I be able to bring it up in the browser on the latest Windows Phone with the latest OS update?

I really wish it could work this way, but Microsoft Edge extension requires to be marked with "desktop device only".

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

Is this still the right place to report bugs in the Edge extension?

It's been working pretty inconsistently for me since I installed it last week, but after Windows installed a bunch of updates late last night, 1Password was working great in Edge this morning. Clicking/tapping the icon brought up 1Password mini, selecting a login item actually filled the form, the Ctrl-/ keyboard shortcut was working, and I think it was even auto-submitting logins. Awesome! Time to say goodbye to Chrome and Opera for good!

I put the Surface down for an hour or so, and when it woke up I was back to zero functionality: Ctrl-/ does nothing and neither does clicking/tapping on the icon in the Edge toolbar. Restarting Edge had no effect and neither did killing all of the 1Password processes and starting them up again. Uninstalling the Edge extension and reinstalling it restored all functionality.

Surface Pro (2017)
    Windows 10 15063
    1Password 6.8.469
    1Password 4.6.12.1

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@lhagan: Thank you for reporting this!

The issue you describe sounds like a known bug:

1Password extension does not work in Edge after the system hibernates with Edge running. Terminate both Edge and the main 1Password program (Right-click in notification area to select Exit) after waking up to fix this. {OPW-1420}

However, terminating all 1Password processes should have fixed the issue. :unamused: Am I right to understand that everything works for you after reinstallation?

Thanks!

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

@Greg: thanks -- I must have missed that known bug. Yes, everything worked after reinstallation until the next time the device hibernated. I was able to replicate this a few times yesterday, but when I tried the above workaround today, everything worked fine -- no need to reinstall. I am still seeing 1Password freezing sometimes (have to kill the process from Task Manager because the 1Password notification menu is unavailable).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, sorry about that! Glad to hear it's working better for you now. We'll continue to see what we can do to work around Edge's idiosyncrasies. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

1Password 6.7.457 was working fine for me in Edge yesterday or the day before, and today it stopped working. Same experience others have reported. As I was trying to figure out what was wrong, I removed the extension. Then I realized I could not easily re-install it. Thought I could go to the app like I can in macOS and install extension from there, but no go. And there doesn't seem to be a 1Password.com web page that will install the extension either, as there is for other browsers.

After reading through messages in this thread, I quit Edge and quit 1Password, then went to Microsoft App Store and reinstalled 1Password. (I don't know if anything was actually reinstalled. It didn't seem like it.) Anyway, I then had to re-enable the extension in Edge. But having done that I seem to be back in business. Like everybody else in this thread, I'm very pleased to have 1Password for Edge. Know you've got some wrinkles to iron out and will hope that does not take too long.

One small note: One of the great things about 1Password for macOS is that I can do nearly everything from the keyboard. I'm not able to do that in Edge. Pretty sure I saw someone else here mention using Cntl-\ to enter password but that doesn't work for me. :-(

Will

P.S. Windows 10 Home version 1703 build 15063.674. I'm pretty sure I have auto-update turned on and assume I have the latest version of Windows as of this writing (2017-10-17). Don't have any anti-malware software installed other than Defender.

• @williamporter: You're right that we can't install the Edge extension from the app or a webpage. Microsoft requires that Edge extensions come from the Windows Store, so it necessitates that we hand Edge a bit differently from other browsers.

If you see the extension go non-responsive again, generally quitting Edge, waiting a few seconds and restarting will correct this without the need to reinstall (with some exceptions as you see here -- we're still working on tracking a few issues down).

Finally, keyboard shortcuts, these were added in the latest beta, which is why you're seeing folks mention it here. If you use the 1Password 6 for Windows beta, you can use keyboard shortcuts in Edge, but this isn't available in the stable version of the app currently. :+1:

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member

Thanks Kate. I've just signed up for the Windows beta!

• @williamporter: Hooray! There's some pretty nifty stuff in there, I hope you enjoy it. :chuffed:

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

1Password extension does not work in Edge after the system hibernates with Edge running. Terminate both Edge and the main 1Password program (Right-click in notification area to select Exit) after waking up to fix this. {OPW-1420}

I'm seeing this issue not just after hibernation, but also after connected standby. Basically, 1Password stops working in Edge anytime the screen is turned off.

Manually restarting everything is kind of a hassle, so I created this PowerShell script to automate the process. I've set the script to run whenever the system wakes from connected standby or hibernate -- happy to provide instructions on how to set this up if anyone's interested.

`

terminate Edge

Stop-Process -name MicrosoftEdge

terminate all 1Password processes

Stop-Process -name AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop
    Stop-Process -name 1Password.Edge.Universal
    Stop-Process -name 1Password.Edge.Native

wait a few seconds

Start-Sleep 2

restart Edge

start microsoft-edge:

give 1Password some time to start up

Start-Sleep 5

close the 1Password window

Get-Process AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop | Foreach-Object { $_.CloseMainWindow() | Out-Null }
    `

• Bern
    Bern
    Community Member

I'm a 1P v4 user and am trying to understand if the v7 referred to will be a stand-alone product (i.e. a non-subscription product if I've understood the vernacular correctly?). And if so, will it be a paid or unpaid upgrade for current v4 users? Along the same line, has it yet been determined if v4 will be upgraded to use with MS Edge?

This discussion has been closed.