Keyboard sometimes takes forever to pop up

Lyman
Lyman
Community Member

For the last few months I've been have the problem of the 1Password keyboard sometimes taking up to 15 seconds to pop up when I tap a text field.

This gets annoying especially when I want to just type something quickly and can't even get to the keyboard switch dialog without digging through the settings app.

Disabling Auto Filling seems to fix it but that kind of removes one of the best parts of the app. If i try opening the 1password app to see if that will in turn load the keyboard faster I notice that the app also doesn't load right away. (My thought being it was removed from memory)

I'm using a Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1 (and the latest versions before that too) and have had this problem on all beta and final versions of the app for the last few months.
I had this problem when I was rooted, but did a factory reset, unrooted, and locked my bootloader and it still persists.

Comments

• Hi @Lyman. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Android device:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Lyman
    Lyman
    Community Member

Thanks @peri , I just sent the email.

• Thanks for sending us the diagnostic report! I have responded to your email. Let's continue our conversation there. :smile:

• andrewhayes1979
    andrewhayes1979
    Community Member

Hi

I'm also having issues with the 1password keyboard on Android when Automatic Filling is enabled...as mentioned above, automatic filling is 90% of the appeal of using the 1password keyboard...it's a shame to keep it disabled.

I'm a programmer by trade, so I'm somewhat technically minded.

The keyboard is fine with automatic filling enabled IF it's operating on a web page with only a handful of form inputs on it...like a login page.

However, if the site contains a large number of form inputs (100s), the keyboard simply doesn't pop up after focussing an input...it takes 30sec to 1min to actually appear.

I would imagine performance degrades linearly as the number of inputs increases.

I don't know whether this is your keyboard implementation, or the underlying Android accessibility functionality you hook into to achieve the automatic filling.

I've recently been upgraded to Android 7 Nougat...if anything, it seems to be slight worse performance there than on the previous version of Android.

For e.g. I engage in commenting on the following site: http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk...on there, each comment seemingly has an attached textarea/form hidden by javascript to allow replying...on an average page there's 100s of these textareas...enabling automatic filling on the 1password keyboard simply kills it, it doesn't pop up.

I've made a JSFiddle here as a test:
    https://jsfiddle.net/bqfbekhh/4/

...this dumps 1000 textareas onto the page when run. With automatic filling enabled, 1password keyboard takes ~10sec to pop up...so it is reproducible, it isn't just one particular site.

Details:

• 1password 6.5.1 for Android
    • Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
    • Android 7.0

Cheers

Andy

• Hi Andy,

Thank you for the detailed feedback! The JSFiddle that you shared was very helpful in reproducing the issue. Here's my slightly technical take on what this testing revealed...

It looks like the issue is related to a combination of two factors: the number of accessibility events generated when the 1Password Keyboard becomes active and the number of accessibility nodes in the view hierarchy for a page. Not only does the number of text fields on a page directly influence the number of accessibility nodes, but it also indirectly influences the number of accessibility events. Depending on the accessibility events involved, this means that performance may actually degrade quadratically.

The good news is that I was also able to identify a couple of opportunities to improve performance here. We're getting ready to publish a new beta soon, so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze an improvement into that one. If not, I should be able to get it into the next one. If you'd like to help with beta testing, please let me know and I'd be happy to give you a shout when it's ready.

Cheers,
    Michael

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

@Hi, sorry for resurrecting this slightly old thread, but I'm also having the problem whereby the 1Password keyboard sometimes takes ~10-15 seconds to pop-up after a text-field is selected. I'm just wondering if the fixes that mverde talked about in his post have made their way to the Android stable release now? If not, and they're still in beta, I would be quite happy to try the beta to see if it improves my problem.

Thanks, Paul

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member

Hi, I decided to do a bit of investigating over at 1Password's changelog web-site. It seems the 1Password Android Beta 6.5.2BETA-1 has "1Password Keyboard is now more responsive on screens with many text fields." as one of its improvements.

I will now change over to the 1Password Beta, and see if this improves my problem with the keyboard delay pop-up.

I don't suppose there's an ETA for when 6.5.2 will be released to the stable channel?

• Thanks for jumping in, @pbryanw! Beta builds typically take between a week and a month to push to stable, but that can always change depending on what issues we might find. This one is looking good so far, so I think it won't be too long now.

If you want to try out the beta and skip the wait just sign up according to these instructions:
    https://support.1password.com/betas/?android

Otherwise just keep an eye out for the next stable release!

This discussion has been closed.