i have two vaults primary and personal and just want one.

Options
tgibbon
tgibbon
Community Member

How do I consolidate my two vaults into one and avoid hundreds of duplicates. I have 3 devices iPhone iPad and MacBook
Thanks

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:How to migrate back a single account from a Family Account and consolidated to primary vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tgibbon: If you truly have 3 (or more) different vaults on completely separate devices (i.e. you haven't sync'd a single vault between them previously), you won't actually have any duplicate items at all since each will have a unique identifier. It sounds like you've simply done extra work by entering much of the same data on multiple devices, and unfortunately that would mean they'll be different enough to not be duplicates, potentially making even more work for yourself as you sort through it — just as if you'd written similar notes on scraps of paper at the office and at home: which is the one you want to keep?

Can you tell me a bit more about what you've done with your setup in the past and what you're trying to do going forward? 1Password won't be able to decide for you what is the "correct" version of similar data you've entered across multiple devices, but there's probably a plan we can come up with that will at least make the process of unraveling things less confusing.

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, My three devices are synced but my problem is that that I have Primary(522 items) and Personal Vaults (560 items), All Vaults (1082 items) some files are in both vaults and some not. I prefer to just have one vault with all items. I've attached three files showing how they appear and I'm trying to find a way of consolidating the two vaults and removing all resultant duplicates
    Cheers
    Tony

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tgibbon: Ah, I see what you mean. There isn't any way for 1Password to decide for you which is the correct version of each item, and frankly that would be a bit scary. The best thing to do would be to delete all but one in cases where the items are effectively the same (using the "Duplicate Passwords" section under Security Audit in the sidebar may help), but take care to check if you've updated some information in one copy or another, so you don't discard anything important. Just to make sure we don't ignore something obvious, if one of these three vaults already has a complete, current copy of all of your data (Primary?), it may be best to delete the data from the other and simply move that over. Let me know what you think!

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

First let me thank you for your attention to my problem, Customer Service from Agilebits is great and I'd be happy to endorse this if you tell me where to write it.
    Your suggestions are logical, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on
    Tony

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tgibbon: Thank you so much for the kind words. I don't feel great about not having a nicer solution for you, but I'm glad to at least offer some suggestions. We always appreciate it if you take the time to leave a review in the iOS or Mac App Store, but just spreading the word about 1Password makes a big difference to us since we don't advertise much, and also to those you share it with since it can help them take control of their digital security — and we're always here if you have any other questions, comments, or suggestions. :chuffed:

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Slowly getting rid of duplicates but not sure how to move items from personal vault to primary

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tgibbon: First, make sure you don't already have a nearly identical item in the destination, or you'll end up with another duplicate situation.

Also, are you planning on using a 1Password.com Account going forward? If so, the Primary vault isn't part of it, the Personal vault is, so you may want to focus on getting your data into the Personal vault instead, so that you can remove the Primary completely to avoid confusion in the future. Would it help to create another vault to serve as a temporary workspace?

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like a good idea, I have been getting rid of the duplicates in the personal. I suppose that I should use the 1password account going forward. But how do I move an item from one vault to another?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tgibbon: If you select an item (or hold down ⌘ to select more than one, or ⌘ A to select all), just right-click and go to Share > (vault name) > Move. There's also some great illustrations in our knowledge base. I hope that helps! :)

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, great progress I have an empty Primary and a Personal without duplicates. Will my iPhone and iPad sync to this new arrangement as they are still unsorted or do I have to do each one manually. I haven't used a 1Password account before is this the way to get all devices with same info? I appreciate your help and hope for your sake this is my last request, you've been very patient

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, great progress I have an empty Primary and a Personal without duplicates.

@tgibbon: That's AWESOME! It' sounds like you're right where you need to be. I just have one question to make sure:

Have you already setup 1Password on your iPhone and iPad? If the answer is yes, just delete the app and install a fresh copy from the App Store. That will be simplest. Then continue from here.

If you already have a clean slate with 1Password on your iOS devices (or you just took care of that above), all you need to do is login to your 1Password.com Account when setting them up and you'll have the same Personal vault and data you do on your Mac:

Setup 1Password for iOS

Will my iPhone and iPad sync to this new arrangement as they are still unsorted or do I have to do each one manually. I haven't used a 1Password account before is this the way to get all devices with same info?

Yep! That's the whole beauty of 1Password.com: you just login to your account on each device to access your data — no sync configuration required. There's just one loose end we need to tie up:

On your Mac, go to 1Password Preferences > Advanced and disable the local vault option. This will remove your empty Primary vault, and you'll only have your 1Password.com Account left, so that everything is the same on all of your devices. That way, any changes you make to your data on one device will automatically show up on the others.

I appreciate your help and hope for your sake this is my last request, you've been very patient

I doubt that it will be, especially since you're just getting acquainted with 1Password, and that's okay! This is what we do, so don't be shy about asking any questions. Either way, let me know how it turns out. We're here for you! :)

• skycowboy
    skycowboy
    Community Member
    Options

I just used the above advice and selected all in my personal database, which highlighted everything. I then went up and selected both personal and primary databases and Voila, there was a side by side comparison (or at least a vertically oriented side by side), which made the comparison relatively simple.

Make a note of which needs to go where and you should be good.

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm you're right, when I come to delete vault it won't accept my master password which is the one I have in my emergency kit

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

it accepts my master p/w when I log in to my account

• tgibbon
    tgibbon
    Community Member
    Options

Cracked it, I was confused as to which master password it was asking for in the first instance

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@skycowboy: I'm glad that helped, and I appreciate you taking the time to share that tip! It can certainly be disorienting at times managing multiple vaults — especially at first, before you have a clear workflow established. Be sure to let us know if there's anything we can help with. :)

@tgibbon: I'm glad you brought that up, and that you were able to get it sorted out. Having different Master Passwords can definitely be confusing. The local vaults will have their own Master Passwords, which could be different from the one you choose for your 1Password.com Account.

We recommend long-time 1Password users use the same one when creating a 1Password.com Account, provided it's long, strong, and unique; but it's also a good opportunity to consider creating a newer, better Master Password — taking care to save it with your Emergency Kit in a safe, just in case. And having a 1Password Families or Teams Owner/Organizer around to perform recovery is a great option too.

Anyway, it sounds like things are going well, but we're always here if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.