set up an account, then downloaded the 1Password app, but my master password will not open the app

richardtimbie
richardtimbie
Community Member

I downloaded and installed the 1Password MAC app (and paid $64 for it in the App Store) before I set up my account. When I set up my account and got to the "download app" step, I downloaded another copy of the MAC app and deleted the earlier copy. When I installed the new copy and opened it, it did not recognize my master password. Help.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @richardtimbie,

I'm sorry you've having difficulty setting up 1Password on your Mac! From your description, it sounds like you bought/downloaded the Mac App Store version of 1Password, then signed up for a 1Password.com account, then downloaded the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (and deleted the Mac App Store version). Is that correct?

If you were immediately asked for a master password when you launched the AgileBits Store version, that means you must have used the AgileBits Store version on your Mac before. In other words, it found existing data on your Mac, and it's asking you for the master password associated with that data (i.e. the master password you chose when you first used the AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your Mac). If you remember what that master password is, you should be able to unlock it and add your account.

If you don't know the master password it's asking you for, you'll need to reset the 1Password app on your Mac in order to remove the old data, and then you can set it up by signing into your account. To do that, open the 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data in the menu bar. After following the instructions it gives you, open the app again and you should see the 'welcome' screen - you should be able to sign into your new account from there.

Does that help? If I misunderstood or you're still having trouble with that, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.