Two login questions

1) I can't log on to my Citi account whether I’m using my Mac or iPhone and I don’t know where the issue lies, though I do know what happens.

When I click on the link to the account (https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/citi.action) it fills in both my username and password just fine, but when I click on the Sign On button nothing happens. In order for it to work, I have to re-enter my username—the same username that appears in the 1PW autofill.

2) When I try to log into my US Bank account from my iPhone 7 (https://www.usbank.com/index.html) I have to hand enter both my username and password. It’s not happening for me. Page one asks for my username and nothing happens when I click the bottom of the phone screen. If I click inside of the username box so that the cursor appears in it, the keyboard pops up on my phone and I no longer have access to 1PW and the key. If I were to type in my username, hit the Log in button the same thing happens at the password screen on the next page.

I’ve seen this happen before with a couple of other logins, but unfortunately I can’t remember which ones. (Where I don’t have access to the 1PW key to access my log-in information.)

Any advice you can provide on these two issues is appreciated.

Thanks.

Chip

1Password Version: 6.5.3 & 6.5.1
Extension Version: 4.6.2 & 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.12.3 & 10.2.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@RCMjr: First off, thanks for your patience. I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you, but I wanted to be sure to test this on my Mac with my own Citi account first to make sure I know what I'm talking about here. Unfortunately I don't have a US Bank account, but I think I can help there too and perhaps you or someone else will be able to confirm or deny my findings. On with the show!

While I wasn't able to reproduce what you're describing with the Citi login, I've had enough experience with their site to know that you're not crazy — rather, it is — and I have an idea of what's going on. That page uses a weird popover login form that causes some issues both for 1Password filling and for us as users, since it makes us bring it up manually in many cases. I think you'll have a much better experience on your Mac using this URL to login to your Citi account:

https://accountonline.citi.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do

While you can try just editing the login to change the URL, the best thing to do would be to manually save a new login for the site using the browser extension, since that allows 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better in the future. Just follow these steps to manually save a new login:

1. Navigate to https://accountonline.citi.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosumbit disabled

iOS is a bit more difficult, since they go out of their way to not let you use a number of login pages based on the browser's user agent. You'll get an error with a link redirecting you to yet another problematic page. The workaround is to use Safari itself (which their website will accept without complaint) with a different URL (which you can easily add to your existing login item on your Mac):

https://citimobile.citibankonline.com/GMP/JSO/presignon/launch.action#signon

Alternatively you can use 1Browser in 1Password with the same page you change its user agent (in Settings > 1Browser > User Agent) to "Safari (iPhone)". Either way, since they're using a different domain entirely in each case, you'll need to have both in your login for 1Password to fill in both places. But depending on what you're trying to do, you might want to just use their app instead of the website, which seems like it is designed to make us not want to use it. ;)

Moving on to US Bank, while I can't guarantee this will work for you, not having an account to test with myself, I think this URL might work better for you:

https://onlinebanking.usbank.com/Auth/Login

I got there by selecting "Online Banking" through the "Log In" menu in the top right of the page you referenced. The initial page doesn't actually have a login form; rather, it's loading this other page in a frame there, and as such Safari won't allow interaction with it. 1Password can fill if you go directly to that page though, on both Mac and iOS. The caveat is that I can't tell you if it will work on the second step, so please let me know!

Here I think you might benefit from creating a "generic" (for lack of a better term) login by hand in the main 1Password app itself, rather than saving manually using the extension. Try this:

1. Open the main 1Password app
    2. Create a new Login item
    3. Fill in the username, password, and website fields
    4. Save it and try it in the browser

In this case, since 1Password has no information about the page, it won't be trying to fill the form it originally saved even if it changes. It will just do its best to find a username and password field. I've found this to be useful to create a single login for some sites that insist on splitting it up between multiple steps. Otherwise, manually saving a login for each step can help.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that from your description it sounded like you may have been trying to "tell" 1Password where to fill by tapping in the field first. Unfortunately there just isn't any way for that to work; 1Password either sees and understands the form and can fill it, or it doesn't. But it's certainly an interesting idea, and perhaps someway it will be possible for us to interactively give 1Password "hints" about what we'd like it to do.

Anyway, I hope that this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Thanks for getting back to me. I made things a little confusing because I posted this question twice—once with two questions and once with three. You can see my response to @jxpx777 here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75352/three-login-questions

Anyway, I got the Citi card figured out using my Mac yesterday. I don't know where I found that same login that you posted here, but I did. However, when I tried it on my phone I was getting a different error. If you're interested, you can see a screen shot in the other post.

I did what you suggested here about resolving the Citi iPhone login and I think I'm all set. It works in a testing environment, so I'm hoping it will work when I actually want it to. (Sort of like taking your car in to the mechanic and how the noise goes away the minute you pull in.)

As for US Bank, I found this login and it works just fine: https://onlinebanking.usbank.com/Auth/Login?isWidget=true. One small issue, however, and it's not a 1PW issue, is that it keeps asking me what year my mother was born even though I've checked the box about not asking me anymore on that device.

If you're interested in working on the other Citi error I was getting (see the other post) I'll be happy to be the guinea pig if that will help. If you don't want to look into it, that's ok too.

Thanks.

Chip

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RCMjr: Any time! Was the error something about "not supported on your device"? If so, that's the one I was seeing, and using Safari or changing the 1Browser user agent helped. If you're referring to something else though, Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

I see you posted a screenshot in the other discussion of exactly what I was referring to, but I just want to make sure there isn't something else. Did you try my suggestion for that? Either way, we'll get to the bottom of this! We're interested in helping with any login issues you encounter, and I am personally motivated when it comes to Citi since I interact with them regularly myself. ;)

The US Bank issue (with the "security question" I think being asked each time) may be with their site, but I just want to make sure we're not overlooking anything. Are you experiencing this in 1Browser or in Safari? In either case, have you tried the other? It sounds like cookies aren't being stored for it.

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member

@brenty, I got Citi to work using the alternative login site and I can do it without problems on both my Mac and iPhone.

I just tried logging into US Bank and this time it didn't ask me the security question. I did change the 1Browser to Safari(phone) the other day when you first suggested it.

That brings up a new question, however. I don't know what 1Browser is? I see that I've got Safari for Mac, iPhone, & iPad, along with Chrome and Firefox. I assume that since I'm using an iPhone that's where I should keep it?

Chip

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @RCMjr,

I hope you don't mind if I enter the conversation but I can help at least explain what 1Browser is. Like all browsers on an iOS device, 1Browser uses the webkit made available by iOS to offer a browser inside of the 1Password for iOS app. Now since iOS 8 and Apple's introduction of iOS extensions the need for a built-in browser inside of our app is significantly less than it once was. I personally don't make much use of 1Browser at all, preferring to use iOS Safari and our extension. Of course it was very different prior to iOS 8 though. Back then there was no way for 1Password for iOS to interact with iOS Safari. To offer something better than jumping between apps and copy and paste we added 1Browser to 1Password for iOS. That way we could offer something like the extension experience you have on your Mac.

Some people still like to use 1Browser so I would say it's really just a personal preference. You should find our extension works just as well when used in either iOS Safari or the Firefox iOS app. Things are a little different in the Chrome iOS app as we have to pass the data to Chrome and it fills but for most sites it should work as expected. I'd say go with your preferred browser :smile:

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad lil bobby was able to help! I'm actually the opposite: I usually use 1Browser, since I have all of my stuff in 1Password already anyway. But it's definitely convenient to be able to use 1Password in Safari and other browsers (and apps) now too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.