Troubles Upgrading from 1Password Version 3 to Version 6

AidanDanner
AidanDanner
Community Member

I work in the I.T. Department of my company, and we have an executive who's running 1Password Version 3 on his iPhone 5s. The app is becoming unstable, so we thought it best to upgrade him to Version 6. Unfortunately we have run into many roadblocks attempting to migrate his stored password data from Version 3 to Version 6, and would much appreciate any assistance that could be provided:
[1] We carefully followed the instructions on the "How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your iPhone or iPad." After installing Version 6, the iPhone never offered to import data, so we went with the suggested alternate iTunes route. We did that twice, successfully creating two separate back-ups, but each time, 1Password Version 6 stated that the back-up file is not compatible.
[2] We then attempted to synchronize 1Password 3 with the executive's DropBox account. 1Password 3 claimed we're entering incorrect DropBox credentials. Further research seems to indicate that iPassword 3 for iOS can no longer sync with DropBox, due to DropBox having changed its API.
[3] We then installed the legacy Version 3 on the executive's MacBook, connected the MacBook and his iPhone to the same WiFi network, and attempted a WiFi sync. The ultimate aim here was to sync the 1Password 3 on the iPhone with the 1Password 3 on the MacBook, then sync 1Password 3 on the computer with DropBox, then finally sync 1Password 6 on the iPhone with DropBox. Unfortunately we were unable to get the WiFi sync to function; the sync button on the computer remained greyed out, and the computer never asked for the temporary credentials that iPassword 3 was generating on the phone.
We're now at our wit's end and would be most grateful for further suggestions. THANK YOU.

1Password Version: 3
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @AidanDanner

Thanks for taking the time to write in. We'd be happy to help! Yes, unfortunately after 1Password 3 was retired in 2012 changes in both iOS and Dropbox have brought it to a point of minimal functionality. This will only get worse when iOS 11 is released and 32 bit apps will not run at all.

Could you please see if an update to 1Password 3 is available? v3.7.2 was the last release, and would be the latest version. You can check this in the App Store under Updates > Purchases. Do not use the search box (this only searches apps that are currently available for sale on the App Store), but instead scroll until you find 1Password 3. Check to see if it says "open," or if there is an update that can be installed. If there is an update, please install it, then reinstall 1Password 6. That should trigger the upgrade prompt.

If you are already using v3.7.2 then I'd suggest attempting to import the backup via an alternate method... using Dropbox. Please save a copy of your .1ptbackup file in Dropbox. From there instructions for completing the rest of the process can be found here:

Unable to import from 3.7.2 to 6 — AgileBits Support Forum

Please let us know how it turns out. Once you get through this you may want to suggest upgrading to a 1Password.com subscription account to the executive. That way they'll always have access to the latest versions of all of our applications for all of their devices, and accessing their data is as simple as signing into their account:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

We also offer a solution for Teams that may be of interest to you.

Teams - 1Password

Ben

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

Hello, Ben! Sorry for the delay, it took a while for us (the I.T. Department) to again get hold of the exec's phone. The version installed on the phone is indeed 3.7.2. So yeah, for some reason, the upgrade prompt on the phone is not being triggered when installing Version 6.

The .1ptbackup file that Version 3.7.2 generates is claimed by Version 6 to not be a readable file format, when using the method described here: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#if-you-aren-t-prompted-to-import-your-data. How do you think using Dropbox, instead of iTunes, would change the outcome?

Thanks again for all your help, it's really appreciated.

• Hi @AidanDanner

How do you think using Dropbox, instead of iTunes, would change the outcome?

I can't say that I know for sure it will. But I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point. There are only two ways I'm aware of getting the data from v3 -> v6 and those are iTunes or Dropbox (if the "don't prompt me again" option has been selected on the upgrade dialog). If iTunes isn't working all I have left to suggest is to try Dropbox.

If that does not work please shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75334/
    When you do so you'll get a support ID back from our auto-responder, BitBit. Please post that ID here. That way I can connect up the conversations and see about getting a second set of eyes on the issue.

Thanks.

Ben

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

Thanks, Dan, we'll give the Dropbox method a try. Last question: is there any way to re-install Version 3.7.2 on the iPhone while maintaining the integrity of the stored passwords? We were thinking maybe reinstalling the old app, then installing Version 6, might help with getting that upgrade prompt?

• is there any way to re-install Version 3.7.2 on the iPhone while maintaining the integrity of the stored passwords? We were thinking maybe reinstalling the old app, then installing Version 6, might help with getting that upgrade prompt?

The only way to safely do that would be if you had a known good backup, but I'm not sure we can be confident of that fact at this point based on the error you were getting while trying to import that backup into v6.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

Ben: we attempted your suggested Dropbox method and unfortunately got the same result. Version 6 says, "Invalid File. The file you are trying to import is not in a format 1Password can understand." If I remember correctly, this is precisely the same error message that the iTunes transfer method generated. Question: can these back-up file generated by Version 3 be opened by any desktop version of 1Password?

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

Another question: on the executive's iPhone, in the Settings/About section of 1Password 3, the version reported is 3.5.9 (April 11, 2011). However using the method you suggested (App Store/Updates/Purchased), the version show is 3.7.2? Is this an expected disparity?

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

SUCCESS. On the iPhone, we downloaded 1Password Pro 3.7.2 from App Store/Updates/Purchased. We then restored into it (that is, into Version 3.7.2) the back-up that I had made from Version 3.5.9. We then exited 3.7.2, re-launched it, and at long last, it asked if we wanted to import into new 1Password. The import was successful.

So what apparently derailed us here was that App Store/Updates/Purchased showed the 1Password app on the iPhone as being version 3.7.2, whereas it was in fact 3.5.9. Scrolling further down the App Store/Updates/Purchased list, we saw an option to install 1Password Pro 3.7.2, which we did, and that led to success.

• Excellent! Thanks for the update @AidanDanner. Glad to hear that worked out. Yes, not being on 3.7.2 could certainly cause that. :+1: :)

Ben

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

Thanks for all your help, Ben!

We're having one further, and comparatively minor, problem. The executive in question had various versions of 1Password installed on his MacBook, so we un-installed all those (and all associated data) using steps found on your website. We then downloaded and installed the newest version of 1Password, synced that with Dropbox, and all seemed well.

However, every time 1Password on the MacBook is launched, it asks the same series of questions again, about lock-out timing, icons, newsletter subscription, etc. 1Password does not seem to remember the choices made earlier.

Can you advise on a fix for this?

• @AidanDanner

Thanks for all your help, Ben!

You're most welcome!

1Password does not seem to remember the choices made earlier.

That's a bit strange. I don't see any open issues in our bug tracker that seem related. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from the Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With the email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75334/
    • Your forum username: AidanDanner

so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• AidanDanner
    AidanDanner
    Community Member

FIXED. When exiting 1Password, it kept asking if we wanted to enable the browser extension. When I finally clicked on the "Don't ask again" option, ALL the pre-launch and post-lunch user-preference questions stopped being asked.

• Okay, that is definitely a bit strange, but I'm glad to hear that resolved it. Did you end up installing the browser extension? If not, would you mind sharing why? The ability to fill passwords directly into websites is one of the primary reasons people use 1Password. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.