Help with 1P-Extension for Safari.

Options

Hey there,
I installed 1Password on my new iMac. After installing the 1P-Extension it asked me to auth with 1P-Mini. It worked and I was able to use it.
All of the sudden while using it (Vault was unlocked) 1P-Extension asked for anorher auth. So i checked the displayed numbers again and it also was also working again.

My question is: Why did it need to auth a second time since it says there is only one auth necessary when installing for the first time.
Was that anything suspicous or did I do anything wrong?

1Password (AppStore) at that time was the only software installed on my iMac.

Regards and thanks for your help!

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

The same thing happened to me today, I put the extension on safari yesterday (first time for safari) and today after restarting my computer (which I had not done in a while) I had to reauthorize. So I restarted my computer again just to see if it would happen again and it did not. Also under the knowledge base, 1P says this...

'Authentication

1Password mini and the browser extension(s) can talk to each other securely once they know that they are talking to “the real deal”. That is, they need to mutually authenticate each other. 1Password mini needs to know that it is talking to the bona fide extension and the extension should know that it is talking to the bona fide 1Password mini process. Note that the use of “needs to” in one case and “should” in the other is intentional. That is because there are different threats involved."

So maybe safari and the macs did not completely talk to each other and the second time they finally did and now it is good to go.

Cheers,
    Conor

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dijjo,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this! I've moved your discussion to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum where there are a few other threads about a similar issue. I hope you don't mind!

Have you been prompted to authenticate the browser extension again in the last day or two? If not, and it has been working as expected, then perhaps something about the authentication simply wasn't saved correctly the first time you did it (similar to Conor's theory above).

As long as you don't keep getting prompted, everything is fine. But if it keeps happening, please let us know and we'll take a further look into it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.