I just fixed up my example script that invoked
mysql with credentials. It was getting the username and password out of the item via jq which returned quoted strings. This caused issues that I didn't anticipate in the mysql invocation. By using -r it works as expected.
Here's my actual working example:
#!/bin/bash S=$(./op login agilebits) && D=$(./op item $S "MySQL localdatabase") && USERNAME=$(echo $D | jq -r '.fields | select(.designation=="username").value') && PASSWORD=$(echo $D | jq -r '.fields | select(.designation=="password").value') && mysql --host=b5local.com --port=3306 -u $USERNAME --password=$PASSWORD --database=b5