Problems getting 1Password to detect and fill in fields

I don't know if there's something I'm doing wrong, but it seems that 1Password is quite poor at detecting username/password fields compared to the builtin password manager features of Chrome and Safari, both when detecting and saving new logins as well as when auto-filling the fields.

Case in point: this very forum. I registered for an account, and 1Password picked that up and offered to save a new login. So far, so good. But when I go to the sign-in page, it doesn't seem to detect the fields. Also, opening 1Password mini and clicking the login item doesn't fill in the fields (as I would expect), instead it just reloads the login page - again with the username and password fields empty.

Another case in point: my company uses a locally hosted Atlassian Confluence as a wiki. 1Password did not autodetect my login, so I logged out, went back to the login page, filled out my username and password and did a manual save through 1Password. When I inspected the created login entry, I saw that the fields were called j_username and j_password - I can't see why 1Password didn't automatically pick this up the first time around.

First off: am I doing something wrong here? It seems weird to me that detecting these input fields should be so hit-and-miss - after all, the builtin browser password managers have this nailed almost down to a 't', I can't remember the last time I had any such issues.

Second, a couple of improvement suggestions: I'd like a visual indicator that 1Password has detected the fields before I submit the form (highlight the detected form fields, put the keyhole logo on the right side of the text field, etc.) Right now, whenever I go to a new site and login for the first time, I have to cross my fingers and hope 1Password detects my login. It'd also be nice to have a "fill in form" button, to fill in form fields without submitting the form. Again, having no idea wether or not 1Password is detecting the form fields, I'd really like to be able to find this out without actually having to submit the form.

Thanks for any and all help

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni

Hey @henrikwl,

It's tremendously helpful when we receive detailed feedback like this - thank you for taking the time to write it all up. Let me through each element of it and see where I can help.

1Password Forum
    I tried to reproduce the issue but when I registered a new test account, auto-saved a new Login item and then used that new Login item on the Sign In page for the Forum it was able to fill in the details. My steps in more detail were:
    1. Go to https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/register
    2. Enter my email, a username and use 1Password's Password Generator to create and fill a new password for me.
    3. Click "Sign Up".
    4. I was prompted with an AutoSave prompt and I used it to save a new Login item. Then the forum registration was complete.
    5. I clicked "Sign in" in the top-right of the website to take me to the Sign In page.
    6. I used Command \ to fill in my newly created Login item. The new item was filled.

I also signed back out, went back to the Sign In page and clicked on the 1Password browser extension and clicked on my new AgileBits forum Login item which also resulted in the login details filled. From what I can tell, this was the same process you followed, would that be right or was there something slightly different in what you did? Also, in my case I was using Chrome 56.0.2924.87.

Atlassian Confluence
    Hmmm, that should have worked. You mentioned you have a self-hosted version of Confluence, I tried the hosted Atlassian version using the following URL and I was able to get an Auto-Save prompt automatically for when I signed in by either hitting Enter on my keyboard or by clicking the "Sign in" button. While both worked, the most reliable method to trigger Auto-Save is to use the Enter key to sign into a website.

https://id.atlassian.com

I also found a hosted version of Confluence - it was version 5.10.0 and 1Password also prompted me to Auto-Save in that case also. May I ask if you have the exact version of Confluence listed under your sign in page on Confluence? I might be able to find the same version to test myself if you can let me know.

Improvements
    These are some great suggestions, we have been playing around with some UI improvements around displaying some indications of what fields will be filled however this isn't something we have decided to make into something releasable just yet. It's great to hear there is interest into something like this though. I do agree that having more visual indicators of what fields will be filled would be a great addition even for the purpose of providing confidence in what will be filled by 1Password.

Thank you again for taking the time to make these suggestions and I hope to hear back from you to help me understand if you did anything different when you were creating those Logins. Hopefully since they worked for me then there was just something slightly different you had been doing that caused this.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• henrikwl
    henrikwl
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Thanks for the swift reply!

To be honest, I don't know what could have been the issue with the forum login page here, because when I try again now everything works as expected. The form fills out just fine, whether it be by me clicking the item in the extension window or doing the keyboard shortcut.

As for the self-hosted Confluence, it's at version 5.5.3, and it still does not detect new logins. It does fill out the one I created by manually saving, but any new logins are not detected. Worth noting might be that this particular login page is not using https. Shame on our ops guys for slacking on this, I know, but it's on an internal network only so I guess we can let it slide - and, more to the point: I don't know if the extension by default maybe ignores anything login-related happening on non-https?

Indicators really would be hugely helpful, especially on logins that aren't already in 1Password. In my case, I was unlucky in that my initial experience when deciding to really commit to using 1Password has been so flaky, so my trust in the ability to reliably detect new logins is sadly not where it should be. This will no doubt improve over time as I use 1Password more and more (I'm not planning on giving up on it just yet ;) ), but having the indicators would at least remove the annoyance of logging in, cursing the software and logging back out again. Glad to hear you're at least considering it!

Edit: I did some testing with various other login pages on our internal network that use regular http and not https - various admin consoles, etc. None of these triggered the save login dialog. All of the https login pages I tried triggered the save dialog. So I'm assuming there's something there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @henrikwl,

It shouldn't matter if the page is over a secure channel or not. What we will do is pop up a warning if you try to fill a non-secure page with a Login item that indicates it was saved on a secure page as that's something people in general probably don't want to do but that's the extent of this.

For your Confluence site issue, can you check something for me please. Can you open 1Password, enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Browsers tab. Do you have any entries in the text box in the Autosave section? These are sites 1Password has been instructed to ignore in terms of asking to save new Login items and I wonder if maybe the address you access the Confluence site is here? It's just a thought but it would explain the behaviour you're seeing.

• henrikwl
    henrikwl
    Community Member

That box in the Autosave section doesn't contain any entries for the domain I'm trying to log on to.

I know that my sample size isn't necessarily significant, but from my testing and probing during the day it does in fact seem that regular http forms are not being autosaved, but https forms are. Weird.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hello @henrikwl,

On the extension side we look for the presence of a password field and an indicator that there was a submit action performed. On the client side we look for whether there is a Login item for this domain and password already stored when it receives a message from the extension. Is it possible you have multiple services hanging off of a single internal domain (ignoring subdomains) and that two or more use currently use the same password?

Using Confluence as a test, what happens if you visit the site and type complete nonsense into both fields, something there is no way 1Password has recorded anywhere in your vault?

• henrikwl
    henrikwl
    Community Member

Well, I sincerely wish I knew what I was doing wrong, but now it seems to be working. I could swear that I've been doing the exact same things all this time, but apparently I'm wrong. Being a developer myself, I'm not unfamiliar with this class of error, and there is no more frustrating thing.

I guess there's nothing to do but close this as a case of PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Code, for those wondering). I'm rid of an annoyance, and you guys don't have a bug to chase. Win win! :)

Thanks for your help and patience, your service mindedness is a huge factor in favor of sticking with the product.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @henrikwl,

Well the good news is 1Password is working as we hope it does and as you expect it to. Please keep us updated if you find it starts to misbehave again. Fingers crossed though you find 1Password works well and now fills and asks to save where expected :smile:

This discussion has been closed.