1password extension data not matching desktop app

Options

My 1password is synching on my mobile devices and on my app on my Windows 10 PC however when I use the extension it is auto filling the data incorrectly. I have tried un-installing the extension and restarting the helper.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @biscomaloney,

Thanks for writing in and sorry filling isn't working. Hopefully we can get this resolved for you.

I would like to clarify that 1Password doesn't auto-fill like most password managers. This is for a very good security reason - 1Password doesn't do this in order to help prevent your data from being enter into a web page when it wasn't intended. This is a common way data can be stolen if you use a built-in web browser's autofill functionality and you accidentally click on a phishing link in an email / sms message. 1Password always relies on a clear user action before it will fill your data.

Is there a particular web page that you're trying to use that isn't working as expected?

Is it a login item you're trying to fill or something else?

If you could provide me with the exact URL for the webpage your trying?
    I can try it out myself and see if I can reproduce the issue.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• biscomaloney
    biscomaloney
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@matthew_ag Its not an autofill (sorry bad description). I use the extention to select my credit card that fills in the form. When I do that the form is being filled with incorrect information (doesn't match whats in my mobile app or desktop app). It happens on every page that I try to use the extension to fill credit card information.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @biscomaloney ,

Sorry about the poor filling of the Credit Card details, may I ask for a few examples of website where this isn't working. We have tested the filling on a lot of various websites and for the most part it works in our tests however it would be great to test the websites that you have tried too. That way we can examine what's going wrong and hopefully fix it :chuffed:

Ideally, a URL link to the exact website(s) you tried would be really useful for us to determine if we can reproduce this.

Thanks for letting us know and looking forward to hearing back.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• biscomaloney
    biscomaloney
    Community Member
    Options

@matthew_ag https://www.netflix.com/YourAccountPayment but this happens on several sites. It fills the form in the right places but the information from the card doesn't seem synced from the database (I recently updated my credit card number). That makes me suspect an issue with the extension synching with the 1password app.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @biscomaloney,

Ah - that makes more sense now. Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like more of a problem with the Credit Card item itself, rather than the filling. Just to explain a little further, the extension doesn't store any of your 1Password items itself. Whenever you attempt to fill in an item into a web page, the 1Password app always sends the item over to the 1Password extension which then attempts to fill it into the web page.

So I'd like to clarify a little more about what you're seeing (without asking for any specifics about your credit card of course).

• When you view your Credit Card item in the 1Password app on the same computer as your extension is installed does it look like it have the your updated credit card details?
    • And when you fill that same Credit Card item, is the old data being filled or is only part of the old data being filled?
    • Could you try creating a new Credit Card item with the new data and see if that fills the correct information?

Thanks for your patience. Hopefully we can figure this one out.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• biscomaloney
    biscomaloney
    Community Member
    Options

@matthew_ag

1.) Yes - Same
    2.) Old data filled
    3.) No it doesn't - weird

One other tidbit - If I hover on the credit card item in the extension I see the correct information being displayed. The right click to fill the information inserts the wrong (old) information.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @biscomaloney ,

Hmm, that is indeed weird. It might be possible that your web browser is filling in the credit card rather than 1Password filling them in. You can check this by disabling the web browser's built-in form filling feature if it's still enabled and then opening the web page with the billing form again.

Hopefully this is the issue, let me know if that worked.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• biscomaloney
    biscomaloney
    Community Member
    Options

@matthew_ag

I'm still stuck. I tried clearing form filling and even tried in a fresh install in firefox, same problem. Seems to only be an issue with credit cards. The new bank account entry I entered to your point above seems fine if I left click on the entry, but right click doesn't complete the field.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @biscomaloney,

When you say right click doesn't complete a field can I ask you to expand a little on what you mean? The way that filling works is 1Password looks at the complete page and attempts to determine which fields to fill and this behaviour is regardless of how you instruct 1Password to fill. So if you had believed/hoped that right clicking on a field would cause 1Password to focus on that field then I have some bad news.

It could be this has developed into two different issues. One would be the old Credit Card item and the other would be correctly identifying the fields to fill on a particular page. Out of curiosity can you try something for me please. Can you try editing the broken Credit Card item and add a note or similar, something to force 1Password for Windows to save changes. Now edit and remove whatever you added so the Credit Card item looks at it normally should. Do you find the old Credit Card item still fills using the old information or is it now filling the correct details?

If you have a page where we're not correctly identifying a field would you feel comfortable telling us about the site here on our public support forums? We do our best to improve the filling but it's mostly a reactionary affair where we learn about a site we weren't aware of via our users and how 1Password is behaving as hoped.

• biscomaloney
    biscomaloney
    Community Member
    Options

I have resolved the issue. I created another credit card entry and deleted the old ones and it seems to work ok now. Not sure what the issue was. Thanks for your help

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @biscomaloney,

Thanks for letting us know and I'm glad it's now working for you.

If you've any other questions about 1Password or hit other issues feel free to reach out again.

All the best,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.