Syncing 2 macOS computers and 1 iOS device

Options
iceout
iceout
Community Member

I am looking for clarification on the process of syncing 2 Macs and an iPhone.

If I have Mac A setup to sync to a local folder that automatically syncs to a cloud account
-then-
On Mac B I tell 1Password to sync to a local folder that is always synced up with the cloud account mentioned in the previous step
-what happens-
When I go to Mac B and add this new sync setting?
- will it sync the vault from Mac B to the folder or will it look in that folder to see if a vault already exists and grab it?
- is there a different step to take so I can start with the vault from Mac A on Mac B or am I supposed to start with a blank vault on Mac B and it will sync to the vault in that synced local folder?

In this case wouldn't the vault on Mac B have a different Master Passcode?

And then next question is can I use the WLAN sync from either Mac to sync to the iPhone?

I am sure this gets confusing reading so please feel free to pose any questions for clarification on my post.

All versions of 1Password software and macOS/iOS are latest versions

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• stevelack
    stevelack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Iceout,

You can start with the synced vault of your first installation by selecting "Find Your Data" and then picking iCloud, as described in this support article: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/.

However, the easiest way to sync across all devices is the sign up for a 1Password account. A 1Password account gives you access to everything 1Password has to offer — all the apps, seamless sync, web access, and sharing — for a single monthly fee and includes the full versions of the desktop and mobile apps at no extra cost. You can sign up here: https://1password.com/sign-up/.

The 1Password account uses Agilebits servers to sync your data across all your registered devices. Plus it will give you access to your data when you are away from any of your regular devices and need to access your data from another computer. It's actually a great deal. I recently switched from the standalone app on my Mac and iPhone to the Family Account and have found it to be a really good value.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the comment @stevelack
    Couple points.
    I am using sync with local folder and then I am syncing that with another computer via a separate cloud service other than dropbox or iCloud.

I have no interest in the 1Password account option.

• stevelack
    stevelack
    Community Member
    Options

I may be wrong, and one of the Agilebits team can probably weigh in on this better than I, but I think you do need to sync using Dropbox or iCloud in order to link multiple devices. You can probably copy your 1Password.agilekeychain from one device to another to share the password file. But, I think you'll have to manually keep it updated.

• iceout
    iceout
    Community Member
    Options

If that is necessary I can make that work. I would still wonder if I can sync to an iPhone via both Macs using the WLAN option or if that would break.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iceout,

You said you aren't interested in a 1Password.com account, but I wanted to briefly reiterate that, as stevelack mentioned, that is by far the easiest way to sync your 1Password data between all of your devices. That's because there are no sync settings to configure with an account - you would simply sign in to your account from the 1Password app on each device, and the data in your account will automatically sync.

Without a 1Password.com account, your next best sync options are either iCloud or Dropbox, as either of those options can be used to sync between the devices you're using (two Macs and an iPhone).

The sync options you're asking about (Folder sync and WLAN Server) are less than ideal for your situation because neither one will work across all three of your devices, so you would need to use a combination of both (and it won't work as seamlessly as the other options I mentioned above). Folder sync will only work between your two Macs and you'll need to also include the use of another sync service (it's a bit of a fragile setup and there's not much we can do if you run into problems with that). WLAN Server will only work between your iPhone and one Mac, and it will only sync when the 1Password app is open & unlocked on your iPhone and Mac.

If you really want to use Folder sync between two Macs, you'll need to set it up on one Mac first, then set up a sync service to sync the .opvault (or .agilekeychain) file to a local folder on your other Mac. Then, on that other Mac, set up Folder sync to point to that file. If you already have data in 1Password on that 2nd Mac, it will merge that data with the data in the sync file.

Does that help? If you have more questions about any of that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.