Individual to Family Questions

TroyKrueger
TroyKrueger
Community Member

I just upgraded from individual to family. I am now thoroughly confused. - I log in as the admin with my username and password, I see all of my previous entries, good so far. I invited a family member and they accepted, create their own username and password. Can I not share entries from my master personal vault over to the new family member? OR is it that each family member creates all of their entries from scratch. (maybe I'm getting it here- in order to share 'certain' entries to 'family' members, I would need to go to the 'team' subscription. ) Again to be clear, family members need to 'build' their own 'list of entries' from scratch and I cannot share with them from my original 'master list'. OH, also a sidebar. on my master login, there is no sync or backup in the prefs, but in the newly installed software on the client machine for the new family member, that software has the ability to sync and to backup,,,,, that confuses me, I restarted both machines and still the same result.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• TroyKrueger
    TroyKrueger
    Community Member

Update, SOoooo, I was able to allow access to a vault, to the newly added family member, I had to be logged into the account within the pref's, which was weird to me since I was already logged into the interface, nevertheless, I think I'm on my way to 'sharing' a vault from the admin to a family member. BUT, BUT, when logged in as the admin, I still do not have the ability to backup to dropbox, or anywhere for that matter, no options for backing up or restoring exist, I"m sure I'm missing something.
    Help?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TroyKrueger - Thanks for posting your questions! :)

OR is it that each family member creates all of their entries from scratch. (maybe I'm getting it here- in order to share 'certain' entries to 'family' members, I would need to go to the 'team' subscription. )

You indeed almost got it here! :-) Each family member has their own personal vault that's only accessible by themselves. In order to share certain login items, you move them to a different vault. Family accounts come with a Shared vault by default, every item you move there can be accessed by every family member. But you can create additional vaults to for sharing. One example that comes to mind could be a 'Parents' vault, that only you and your significant other have access too, but not the kids. You won't need a team account for this kind of setup.

OH, also a sidebar. on my master login, there is no sync or backup in the prefs, but in the newly installed software on the client machine for the new family member, that software has the ability to sync and to backup,,,,, that confuses me, I restarted both machines and still the same result.

As soon as you add an account to your installation of 1Password, sync and backup options are hidden, as we take care of both sync and backups for our subscribers. The fact that you see these options on your other machine is an indicator it's not signed in to the account yet.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. If you need additional information, just let me know! :)

• TroyKrueger
    TroyKrueger
    Community Member

thank you for your response,
    it all makes sense and we're getting there, but,
    I am signed into the family account on the 2nd computer and still, I see the option for Sync and Backup.
    I've attached a screenshot.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@TroyKrueger - This most certainly means that you have a local vault present - most likely from before you signed up for an account. In most cases this vault (called Primary) is not needed after moving your data over to your account. Make sure the data in your Primary vault is indeed also stored in your Family account. If it is, you can remove the Primary vault.

To remove the Primary vault, please switch to it from the main menu: 1Password > Switch vaults. Once you've switched vaults, you wil find the option to delete the vault in the same menu: 1Password > Delete vault...

• TroyKrueger
    TroyKrueger
    Community Member

what awesome, succinct support, - wow, perfect Roman, thank you for your excellent help. God Bless

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@TroyKrueger - I'm happy I could help! :)

If you need anything else, let us know. We're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.