Trying to delete local vaults

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member

I migrated to accounts and I am trying to delete my local vaults. Here is what I tried:

1. disabled syncs (iCloud for primary; dropbox for secondary)
  2. Selected Preferences, then advanced.

However, I cannot uncheck the box allowing creation of vaults outside of Accounts because it is grayed out.

What step did I mess?

thanks.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgleason51: No problem! It sounds like you may just have more than one local vault. You'll only be able to disable that option if only the Primary remains, so just switch to each of your secondary vaults and delete them from the 1Password menu. Let me know if that helps! :)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that did the trick. question. My accounts personal vault has 413 records in the trash can, which appear copies of the records in my personal and primary vaults. where did they come from and is it safe to empty them from the trash?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgleason51: The short answer is that you should check to make sure you have all of your important data in one of your vaults currently before emptying the Trash. If that sounds like a tall order it is, and it's why I almost never empty my own Trash (in the app... lol), since I rarely take the time to make sure I haven't foolishly deleted something I still need.

The long version is that it sounds like you probably have these items in the Trash from moving the data. What actually happens is "moving" an item from Vault A to Vault B will create a new copy of it in Vault B and then send it to the Trash in Vault A. This is just a failsafe in case we make a mistake and want to revert the action. That way the item is available in the Trash in Vault A to recover if needed. Based on your description and what you were trying to do, that's almost certainly what's happened. Let me know if that helps!

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. To aid in the review, is there a way to delete items one by one? If not, there should be

• @rlgleason51,

Its certainly possible to move things to the trash one by one, but the trash works very much the same way as the Trash in the Finder. Emptying the Trash removes all the items in the Trash.

Rudy

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Can one move the trash contents to another (temp) vault? Or can the contents on my be either restored or emptied?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlgleason51: It's only restore or empty, unfortunately. You could, however, create another vault and move your non-Trashed data there. Then you'd be able to restore and move the Trashed data without getting it mixed with the rest.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I request that the trash be enhanced to allow Items to be individually deleted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's certainly something we can consider for a future version. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.