Windows 10 / 1Password6 - Bug reports

Options

I reformatted my PC this week and was really glad to see that 1Password had been updated from v4, which felt very out of date compared to the version I use on my MacBook. So I've installed v6 on Windows but it's felt very difficult to use. There have been several issues with it this week, so I'll post them on here as I find them. Just one to start:

1. When I try to log in to a website on Chrome, it asks me to install the 1Password extension every time, even though it's already installed. It says "Looking for the 1Password helper. The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.". When I click 'Try Again', it works

1Password Version: 6.3.359d
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@codeknight: Thanks for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the confusion! The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app isn't meant as a replacement for 1Password 4 at this time, as it's a brand new app which doesn't have all of the features, and does not have support for syncing or editing local vaults (like the one you have in Dropbox). Unless you're using the 1Password.com subscription service, it isn't necessary though, so please continue to use 1Password 4 for now. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• codeknight
    codeknight
    Community Member
    Options

Ok thanks Brenty, that makes sense. Might be wise to change the 1Passwords download page to download v4 instead of 6?

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @codeknight,

Just to be clear, the Helper issue you were seeing is not related to a specific 1Password version. That's usually an interference from an anti-malware solution or a security program, it is blocking 1Password's ability to connect to the extension, it would affect 1Password 4 as well unless you've already configured the security tool to whitelist 1Password 4, it wouldn't apply to 1Password 6 because it is a different program. If you notice it on every reboot only, it may be because 1Password 6 is not starting automatically, this is something you can turn on in 1Password's settings.

Just to be clear, 1Password 6 supports 1Password.com service and once you sign in with a 1Password.com account, a lot of features are enabled and it does sync fine. It just doesn't support local vaults at the moment, which disables most of the features that requires writing data and it doesn't do automatic sync for local vaults only.

However, we have listed the 1Password 4 link below the download button on https://1Password.com/downloads/ but on https://agilebits.com/downloads, it does default to 1Password 4. Only difference is that the domain name, all 1Password downloads on https://1Password.com/downloads/ support the 1Password.com service.

We'd love to know the rest of the issues you've seen when you were trying 1Password 6.

• codeknight
    codeknight
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, but there's no security software installed - I reformatted this week; the only other software installed is Windows Updates and a couple of games.

Is 1Password pushing towards a subscription model then? I don't have a 1Password account because I don't need Teams or Family. Will 1Password 6 be totally compatible with the 1-off license fee?

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @codeknight,

We do offer 1Password.com Individuals, you don't need to use Teams/Families at all. With Individuals, you get the benefit of super-fast sync, backups, 1GB of secure storage, access to all of our 1Password apps and future upgrades at no extra cost and more. There's a month free trial you can try to see if it works for you.

However, we do want to help you fix this issue with 1Password 6 first if you'd like to try it for the moment and you can always fall back to 1Password 4 if we don't get it working.

Is 1Password pushing towards a subscription model then?

Yes, we are focusing mostly on 1Password.com service but that doesn't mean we'll stop offering licenses, it'll remain for folks who want it. We think 1Password.com is much easier to use, so we want to push this first.

However, it is only the new 1Password 6 for Windows program that doesn't support local licenses and local vaults at the moment (they'll be added later), we're working as fast as we can to implement all of the features into 1Password 6 first. The other 1Password apps was able to accommodate 1Password.com service without requiring a new codebase, so we're a bit behind on Windows.

This discussion has been closed.