1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini [Fixed in version 6.5.5]

Comments

• johnsealey
    johnsealey
    Community Member

Me too! HELP!

Getting the 'Can't connect to 1password mini' dialog too. I've tried everything suggested to no avail.

May be unrelated but my menu bar extensions started behaving a little strangely at the same time this happened. I have Kiwi for Gmail and after startup two instances appeared in my menu bar and two kiwi apps started running, one of them showing the 'what's new' dialog you get after downloading an update. Only happened once though, after a restart the second instance disappeared. I also found two instances of another app (airserver) in my startup items. And now I can't stop kiwi from loading on startup even though I've removed it from my startup items. Anyone else getting weird behaviour like this or is it just me?

El Capitan 10.11.6 and 1Password 6.5.3

• jtucker
    jtucker
    Community Member

I have the same problem on one Mac after my wife rebooted it. I downloaded the "latest" from the website (claims to be 6.3.5) and got it working. It was necessary to move the prior version to Trash AND empty Trash before that worked. Not emptying Trash didn't work. Our other Mac is running 6.5.3 with no trouble but hasn't been rebooted recently.

Oddly, the 6.3.5 version claims it's licensed from the Mac App Store, not my license purchased from Agilebits web store. Not possible ... no 1Password in Mac App Store purchase history.

• juanra
    juanra
    Community Member

Update: the date change made it work. Resetting the time back was ok, until the machine got rebooted. So it is a temporary fix.

I am curious as to why the date on the system would keep the application from starting. Is it a certificate issue (maybe an oversight!?)? I wonder why the application can't run locally due to a date issue (I do have the Families plan).

• RannyWelton
    RannyWelton
    Community Member

Having the same problem and tried all their reinstalls and reboots at least 3 times. Run diagnostics and sent to Agilebits. Set up Lastpasss with some key PW's to hold me over and just now, went through the same drill of putting the app in the trash, clearing the trash and rebooting. Thought I would try one more time and it works! Go figure.

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

I confirm that the date change works to get 1Password started.
    I know you already know this but wanted to get on the post list so I can follow the fix.

• dholton
    dholton
    Community Member

I, too, am having the same problem on my Macbook. The mini isn't loading. I can't connect to my browser either. I tried all solutions listed, even reconnecting via app store although I don't think I installed it that way. I also tried using the terminal line. That didn't work either. I have El Capitan 10.11.6. 1PWv6.

I've had to log into another computer (Mac) and use alternatives to get to my passwords. Thanks in advance for fixing ASAP.

• kmccann007
    kmccann007
    Community Member

I am having the same issue - support ID is [#QHA-68149-159]. MAC OS 10.12.3

Deleted and reinstalled Version 6. No Dice. Rebooted 3 times. No Dice. Submitted my Diagnostics Report.

Also ran the terminal commands in this post https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/ - still didn't work.

Need help ASAP here - can't login to critical apps without the passwords.....

Thanks!

• juanra
    juanra
    Community Member

Quick question: am I supposed to post my support ID here?

• deeptinker
    deeptinker
    Community Member

As others have reported, I was getting certificate invalid errors on the 1 Password mini after I rebooted my server (for an unrelated issue). Downloading a fresh copy of the (6.3.5) installer and installing it fixed the problem.

Is this related to the item reported in TidBITS (http://tidbits.com/article/17057) where another developer was issued a certificate from Apple that expired?

BTW, my laptop (which I have NOT rebooted) continues to run just fine using 1 Password 6.5.2. Why is the version on the 1 Password web site only at 6.3.5?

• Jacob
    edited February 2017

Update: The below info is now out of date. Please read my post below.

Hi everyone! We've fixed this issue in 1Password for Mac version 6.5.5. You can install that version directly from the website and 1Password should be working properly again. If you install it and the issue doesn't go away, click Quit in the 1Password mini prompt, then open Finder, click Applications, and move 1Password to the Trash. Now install the latest version from the website and all should be well.

Thanks for the patience on this one. Let us know if you have any other issues.

• hgi2001
    hgi2001
    Community Member

The problem exists only after a reboot. It looks like a certificate error with the 1Password-helper.
    Temporary Fix: Set the date a few days back, start 1Password and set the date back to the current date.

• @hgi2001 Please see my post right above yours for a permanent fix. :)

• kmccann007
    kmccann007
    Community Member

Version 6.5.4 just fixed this issue. Thank you!!

• hgi2001
    hgi2001
    Community Member

@Jacob our posts have overlapped.
    The solution works fine. Thumbs up for the fast solution. Great :)

• juanra
    juanra
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

6.5.4 seems to have fixed it.
    It'd be nice if someone at AgileBits could explain what the issue was. I still have several questions:
    1. Why does 1Password seem to want to connect to 1Password mini every time?
    2. What is 1Password mini doing?
    3. If it's a date or certificate issue, why wouldn't the software allow you to work with the software and local cache of the password database?
    I didn't have a packet capture running, though it now sounds like a good idea to see what is going on.
    Thanks in advance. :)
    Oh, and thanks to AgileBits for the quick patch/fix. Much appreciated. :+1:

• nle
    nle
    Community Member

The build number after downloading and installing @jacob's link still shows "Version 6.5.3 (653000)".

• mumblingsages
    mumblingsages
    Community Member

Just me or is the .pkg also numbered incorrectly? The d/l package file name I'm getting is 1Password-6.3.5.pkg

• tmbwood
    tmbwood
    Community Member

I get this message: Validation failed. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error - 67050.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Jacob
    edited February 2017

An update on what I said in my previous post: We had to pull version 6.5.4 because there was an issue with the in-app updater. We've now fixed that and released 6.5.5. You can only install this directly from our website — an in-app update will not succeed. Hope this helps! Thanks for bearing with us.

• TreefrogsGA
    TreefrogsGA
    Community Member

Still not working. I have a license only. "Looking for 1 Password App" is error message. I am on MacBook Air, 10.12.3.
    Cannot get results trying to run diagnostic report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Nekoninda: That's not a bad idea at all, but it would mean knowing in advance that the problem would happen...and just pushing a new version with a fix (which is what we've done) is a much better solution long-term I think. And fortunately you don't need to login to the forum to view posts (like this one). I'm glad to hear that the update helped!

@TreefrogsGA: It sounds like you may still have a copy of the old version running in the background. Closing 1Password completely (hold Control while you select Quit from the menu) or simply restarting your Mac should resolve it. However, can you tell me more about the issue you're having with the 1Password5Troubleshooting utility?

• TreefrogsGA
    TreefrogsGA
    Community Member

Finally got it to work by downloading the Beta version. It was the only version my computer would recognize. Glad y'all were on this!

• mnations
    mnations
    Community Member

Hello, my 1 password is failing to connect to 1 password mini, can no longer access it, it won't open.
    Can someone please help?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Hello, my 1 password is no longer connecting to 1 password mini

• mmwaikiki
    mmwaikiki
    Community Member

I am having the same problem
    1password 6
    macbook pro using latest macos

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Same problem here as well, Mac and Windows, all browsers.

Is this a problem at Agile?

EDIT 1: Curiously it is working on another mac.

Summary:
    Mac A: 10.12.3 1P 6.5.3 working OK
    Mac A: Windows 10 in Bootcamp, 1P 6.2.333 working.
    Mac B: 10.12.3 1P 6.6.1 beta 1 not working
    Mac B: Windows 10 in Bootcamp 1P 6.2.333, not working.

Maybe it is a beta problem but the fact of the other reports and that release version in Windows is also not working makes me think not.

EDIT 2: Now stopped working on Mac A. So definitely not a beta issue.

Attached is the screenshot. Quitting and restarting produces the same result as does restarting the machine.

• gastonrampersad
    gastonrampersad
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

I got a response from their support team on Twitter, see this tweet.

[Edited by MikeT: This tweet was outdated, please download 1Password 6.5.5 instead: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.5.5.pkg]
    I just rolled back to that version - it works.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Just found the fix in this threading another section:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/75487/1password-failed-to-connect-to-1password-mini-fixed-in-version-6-5-5#latest
    Agile need to post this in all sections as the app can't update itself to apply the fix....very serious.

EDIT Ignore comments about Windows not working in my previous post. It is now, may have been a different issue.

• POPSYNIC
    POPSYNIC
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

This problem is affecting most people - here is the latest on the matter from 1Password https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

Does make you think about what would happen if 1Password went away though doesn't it ? - as in, how would we access our important passwords locked up in 1Passwords software?

• howdytom
    howdytom
    Community Member

I have just installed 1Password-6.5.5.pk and it's working again.

This discussion has been closed.