1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini [Fixed in version 6.5.5]

Comments

• glow259
    glow259
    Community Member

iMac 27" 5K Retina Desktop | Mac OS Sierra 10.12.13 (lastest OS upgrade)

I finally downloaded after a temporary delay due to:
    'Uncomfirmed" with instruction to choose what to open it with. And of course, there
    is none. I was about to post this temporary issue only to find a temp. new download label
    1Password 6 where after installing it from 'Applications', the download software is no longer
    in the 'Downloads'. I'm guessing this is how it is when 'downloading directly from the website'
    It's now working. THANK YOU!

• rkemperroar
    rkemperroar
    Community Member

WOW that was very upsetting "1password mini not starting" but within 12 hours the problem was solved, so thanks for putting people on the problem to solve it so quickly. Makes me realize that maybe I am to dependent on 1password and need to find other solutions, just not sure what those other solutions would be. My only rescue plan when this happened was that I have an IOS version so I could manually enter information on my laptop, but hats off to the quick repair.

• Hi guys,

Everyone must manually download and install 1Password 6.5.5, even if you are on 6.5.4. Here's the direct link.

@gastonrampersad,

I've edited your post because you've included a link to 6.5.3, we've fixed this in 6.5.5 but if everyone see your link and download it, I'll fail to update to 6.5.5. I hope you don't mind that I've done the edit to redirect to 6.5.5.

• mjk
    mjk
    Community Member

The 6.5.5 install fixed the problem. Thanks to the folks at 1Password for the quick response. We really appreciate it!

• gastonrampersad
    gastonrampersad
    Community Member

@MikeT That's not a problem - once the correct information gets out there. I got different info from support on Twitter. I'll also update to 6.5.5. manually.

• gastonrampersad
    gastonrampersad
    Community Member

6.5.5 works as it should. Thanks!

• mikeormerod
    mikeormerod
    Community Member

I'm confused. I saw the update for 6.6.1-Beta 3, I'm currently on 6.6.1-Beta 1 and saw the note about manually installing using the link, but the link doesn't download 6.6.1-Beta 3, but seems to re-download 6.6.1-Beta 1 although the package says it's 6.5.5 !

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Hi everybody! We've fixed this issue in 1Password for Mac version 6.5.5, which was released couple of hours ago. You can install that version directly from the website and 1Password should be working properly again. If you install it and the issue doesn't go away, click Quit in the 1Password mini prompt, then open Finder, click Applications, and move 1Password to the Trash. Now install the latest version from the website and all should be well.

Thanks for the patience on this one. Let us know if you have any other issues.

• williewonder
    williewonder
    Community Member

Why did this problem occur when no software was changed on local mac?

What is 1Ppassword Mini?

Some comments referenced browser html showing 1Password passwords. Is this correct, and how does this get accessed?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Will you share a post-mortem? (Here or on your blog?)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

How will this work with the MAS version? Will this also be a delete and reinstall?

• R_Stevens
    R_Stevens
    Community Member

Having the same problem. Started today.

• dholton
    dholton
    Community Member

Thanks! The update works fine. I'd like to know what happened, too.

• howdytom
    howdytom
    Community Member

Why did this problem occur when no software was changed on local mac?

Also interested in this.

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member

So what happen if I bought the app from the Mac App store? Can I still reinstall (from the download link)?

How would I get future updates now since I will have a "downloaded" version instead of Mac App Store version?

• threesofar
    threesofar
    Community Member

Why after fixing this with the 6.5.5 link/install you gave above does it still show that my installed 1Password is 6.3.5?

• klakulak
    klakulak
    Community Member

I am running 1Password 6 on a Mac with the newest version of OS. Today when I turned on my computer and launched 1Password it would not open. When trying to launch via the Chrome App it would give an error message "Looking for the 1Password App. Couldn't connect to 1Password." I uninstalled and then reinstalled and it still doesn't work. The main 1Password app will also not launch on my Mac. So what am I to do. I have never had problems in the past.

1Password Version: 6
    Extension Version: 6
    OS Version: 10.12.3
    Sync Type: dropbox

• @treesofar It might be because the older version was running during the install. Try to hold the Control key down and then select "1Password 6 > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini" menu.

• Thank you for your feedback, everyone!

We posted the details about what happened on our blog:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/02/19/1password-for-mac-6-5-5-manual-update-required/

• jamavikateam
    jamavikateam
    Community Member

So... are you folks now forcing people to upgrade to your cloud version? This 'BREAK' in the program was created by you, yes? So that those of us who refused to update HAVE to update. This is VERY uncool. You basically decided to sabotage the program so we'd HAVE to download the new version! There's no other explanation. You basically LOCKED us out of our passwords so we'd be held hostage and have to upgrade. VERY unhappy about this, and you can tell me all day long this isn't you forcing us all to upgrade, but under the circumstances, all of a sudden, we can't get to our passwords, RIGHT at the VERY moment you are trying to get everyone to switch to the idea of keeping their passwords in the CLOUD? Unbelievable. This is the world we live in, where software companies will lock you out of your VALUABLE passwords in order to FORCE you to do what they want you to do. Bad, Bad, Bad!!! smh. -VJ

• @jamavikateam There is no such thing as a "cloud version" of 1Password. The same Mac app works with both 1Password accounts and with the older local vaults.

Are you having trouble with the latest update?

• roustem
    edited February 2017

@howdytom This is a question for Apple. It was our understanding that expired provisioning profile should not prevent the installed app from being launched but apparently it is not the case in macOS 10.12.3 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I really hope it is a system bug that could be fixed.

• roustem
    edited February 2017

@Steve_H There is no need to do anything if you are running the Mac App Store version. It is using a different certificate that has not expired.

• jamavikateam
    jamavikateam
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

I own a version I bought from you. Not from the Mac App store. And my mistake... I meant to say SUBSCRIPTION version of 1Password. You guys are moving us all to your subscription version and this is your way of making sure we all go in that direction. I don't want to be on your subscription service. If you are moving us all there, and are going to drop that bomb on us in the next few months, it would be VERY good to tell me now so I can find another solution for my passwords that won't require me to pay a monthly fee for the service. I sincerely feel that this 'break' was your way of making us all upgrade to a version of your app that will eventually "break" and be subscription only. That's what it smells like to me anyway. And by the way... I can't even get into my email now to confirm my email for this forum because I'm locked out of my passwords! -VJ

• HomerJay
    HomerJay
    Community Member

6.5.5 fixed the issue for me as well.

However, I created my crash-log first, sent it to AgileBits and THEN saw the entry (the update) on their webpage :) Should have looked there sooner (although I did google....well duck-duck-go...and didn't find it then).

Issues around expiring certificates seem to be very common in the Apple-world. How many times did I have to change a Mac's date, so I could use an installer on a usb-stick created some time ago!

I wonder if setting back my Mac's date would have helped here?! Anyone want to try? :)

Anyway, this is what I call fast support! Thank you AgileBits!

• roustem
    edited February 2017

@jamavikateam If you look at crash logs and error messages in the Console you will see that they are coming from macOS. I am not sure what else to offer you here.

If you are having a hard time trusting our team then I am not sure how you are able to use 1Password, that must be really painful for you :(

• jamavikateam
    jamavikateam
    Community Member

I WAS trusting... until I started to read posts in your support area indicating you were moving us all in the direction of subscriptions. So yeah, it's becoming painful, which is why I stated, let me know if in six months you're going to suddenly announce that the next upgrade is "subscription only." I'd rather have some warning so I can find another solution. If that's not the case, and you're NOT going to give us the ultimatum, then I'll stay with 1Password. -VJ

• @jamavikateam Did you install the latest version? Did it fix the problem for you?

• jamavikateam
    jamavikateam
    Community Member

Thanks for the PDFPen post. I'll take your word for it that it's the same issue. I'm not a tech, so I have no idea what I'm looking at. Anyway, I'm forced to download the upgrade no matter how I look at this if I want to get into my passwords. I'm going to be VERY disappointed to learn that this was a way to get us to move to subscriptions, and I hope that's not what I'm looking at. With Twitter and Facebook and Google pulling the shenanigans they're pulling, it's hard to trust anyone fully these days. Anyway... nothing I can do but upgrade. Thanks for your time. -VJ

This discussion has been closed.