1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini [Fixed in version 6.5.5]

Options

Comments

• spearson
    spearson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, This has been resolved, take a look at this support page to download v6.5.5 and install it. It will address the issue.

Hope this helps.

• @jamavikateam You are overthinking this. You should be able to use the new version just like you did it before :)

• howdytom
    howdytom
    Community Member
    Options

jamavikateam, I can’t agree more. I was thinking exactly the same about subscription model. 1Password is a great application and I really appreciate Agilebits outstanding response time.

However, this is not the way loyal customer should be treated. I am not going upgrade to your subscription only.

• Yappoo
    Yappoo
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with the sentiments of other users in this forum. I do appreciate the somewhat prompt repair of the program.

1. 1Password is a very useful tool.
    2. For a password program, stability, reliability, and security are crucial. My belief in the first two of these values with 1Password was shaken by the agilebits programming/certificate management errors this weekend. And inattention to certificate expiration raises questions about security as well.
    3. I do not plan to upgrade to the subscription model. I was considering the subscription model now as I now have PC's to manage... I have reconsidered though.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

roustem, thanks for the speedy answer. Glad I do not have to jump through hoops today. :)

• nyMark17
    nyMark17
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Where are the backups? Before I download the 6.5.5 version, I want to be able to grab the backups. I can't the folder anywhere on my Mac 2015

Is it safe to just install the 6.5.5 version and then everything will be ok, just like it was before with all my passwords being there?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the post-mortem!

(and for mentioning PDFPen Pro; that App crashed on my Mac until I updated and I had no idea why)

• juanra
    juanra
    Community Member
    Options

@jamavikateam While I was not happy at all with getting hit with this problem (I did panic there for a little while), I don't think AgileBits deserves all of those comments. For the record: I am NOT an AgileBits employee, just a customer. Dealing with IT issues as my day job, I can say that AgileBits responded very quickly. While I still have questions that remain unanswered, I think they did a great job fixing the problem very quickly. I don't think they did this with a plan to "force people" to upgrade or change to a subscription plan. Of course, I have NO inside knowledge of this. Their product is great, but you can always use another product -- I have and I do. But believe me, AgileBits' speed and overall response to this issue yesterday was much better than when I've had issues with some of their competitors and their products.

For AgileBits employees: I know you're human and mistakes happen, but waiting until last minute to renew a certificate has shaken my faith in 1Password. No, I'm not dropping the product, but it's kind of a cause for concern.
    I do want to thank you for the quick fix. I'm sure there was quite a bit of running around the office yesterday.

• seansassenrath
    seansassenrath
    Community Member
    Options

Fix worked perfectly, thank you!

• threesofar
    threesofar
    Community Member
    Options

The "option quit" method of killing both 1Password and 1Password Mini, COMBINED with killing all browsers that have the plugin, then running the 6.5.5 install package, was enough to finally get 6.5.5 on my Mac. The extra steps that are necessary were not very clear to me as they were 1) not in writing on any of the install screens, though a reply above said some of them; and 2) the browser instance needing to be killed was not mentioned at all.

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Hello: Well...most above were Sierra users with the malfunctioning 1PW Ver 6.5.3..

I STILL use Yosemite... OS 10.10.5 no where NEAR Sierra...

SO.. Why did my 1PW 6.5.3 A:SO stop working? I have had NO updates to Yosemite in quite a while?

Just so you know...
    Thanx for update 6.5.5 on my Yosemite is working again..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@jamavikateam: I'm really sorry for the confusion here. This doesn't actually have anything to do with subscription versus license. As mentioned, either way the app is the same, and you should really be using the latest version for the latest improvements anyway, even if it weren't for this particular issue. If you're still having trouble with the update, be sure to let us know because we're here to help no matter what. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@howdytom: As mentioned previously, this is a minor update to the existing 1Password for Mac app, which works for all Mac 1Password users. I'm clear on how you feel you've been mistreated, but if you're having any trouble updating, be sure to let us know so we can help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nyMark17: You can find backups of your local vaults in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/, but it's important to keep in mind that your data is completely separate, and therefore unaffected, by updating the app itself. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@three-cushion: It's rather confusing to be sure, but you can find some details on our blog, and we'll be following up with another post later as well. All you need to do is download the latest version and you should be good to go though! :)

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password 6.5.5 (downloaded from your site, not the MAS), running on a 5K iMac and Sierra 10.12.3. After running CleanMyMac 3.7.2 (which deleted unused language and cache files) and then after restarting my iMac, I found that when I tried to launch the 1Password app I would get the "failed to connect" dialog. I followed the advice on your website here without success:

https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

What worked for me was to move the 1Password app from /Applications to the trash, then download a fresh installer from your site and install it again. It then worked fine.

I am merely posting this experience here to help those who may have found themselves in the same situation as me.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
    Extension Version: 4.6.3
    OS Version: MacOS 10.12.3
    Sync Type: DropBox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@juanra: Indeed. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. It was our understanding that the provisioning profile wouldn't cause this issue, so now that there's a fix out there we're continuing to investigate this with Apple. Thanks for your understanding. :blush:

• jswx
    jswx
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your post. Deleting and installing the app fixed my issue

• schrino
    schrino
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I'm still running 6.3.5 without problems. If I want to update, I still need to follow the above steps?

• geni
    geni
    Community Member
    Options

Another trouble with that app.
    Some time ago I had also problems after an upgrade which couldn't achieved.
    At that time I knew I MUST HAVE a second source - Switched my over my data to KeepassX
    Today I had to do some urgent business, failed with 1 pwd and was very happy to have KeepassX
    Sorry but 1pwd is .....

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still not confident that AgileBits understands the seriousness of this problem. Not being able to access our passwords is UNACCEPTABLE. I've read the post-mortem blog post by Shriner. I wish it spent less time trying to solicit sympathy for "missing Valentine's Day" and more time explaining what AgileBits will do to prevent this problem from happening again. From what I can tell, the only action AgileBits has committed to is to renew its certificate earlier. Duh. I have never seen this problem with any other Mac software, so I can't help but ask about flaws in design of 1Password. In the post-mortem blog comments, Dave T says "most of the heavy lifting is performed by 1Password mini, and as such the main app can’t run without it." This sounds like an Achilles Heel in the software design. Why can't 1Password be designed to run independently from the 1Password mini component, at least temporarily to allow us access to our main application? What am I missing here?

• roustem
    edited February 2017
    Options

@syncrasy What do you think we should have done differently?

It makes no sense for the app that was working yesterday to stop working today. What happens to the users who do not update the app regularly or decide to stick with an older version or not upgrade to the next major version? We will work with Apple to get to the bottom of this and will keep you posted.

Re: 1Password mini. It is the component that does most of the heavy work and because if that it has the entitlements. If we move or copy these entitlements to the main app then the main app won't be starting either. You would also have issue like concurrent SQLite access and others to deal with.

Re: "I have never seen this problem with any other Mac software". 1Password was one of the first apps that started supporting TouchID on Mac and required the new entitlements because of that. Soulver and PDFPen are among other apps that were hit by this issue: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/20/mac-apps-fail-launch-expired-apple-certificates/

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

According to Michael Tsai (a Mac software developer) Apple might be the one to blame for this: http://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/02/18/fixing-and-explaining-pdfpen-8-3-1s-crash-on-launch/

Even if it is, I like they way AgileBits took ownership of this issue.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

In case you all forgot, a couple of three years ago, APPLE had a very similar problem with certificates and all MAS software. Sure, it was a third party but......if you make stuff complicated enough, there will be times when it just doesn't work. :)

• jimpm
    jimpm
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

@roustem mentioned about 1Password needing certain Entitlements for TouchID, etc. Honestly, I don't care about TouchID. Perhaps Apple will (or does) require these Entitlements to be granted for the App regardless of TouchID.

For me, I'd rather know 1PW is going to work with or without the Certificate. I sent Feedback to Apple because causing an app to suddenly stop working like this is totally unacceptable.

Maybe 1PW needs a fallback method or a stripped-down version of the app that doesn't require Entitlements (at least for emergencies). Gaining access to the logins/passwords is crucial. I suppose worse case I would try to retrieve passwords via iOS or Windows 1PW. I simply do not like that apps (not just 1PW) that have been running just fine can suddenly stop working or that I cannot install old versions on an older Mac without "permission" from Apple. (Apple is becoming way too controlling for me.)

BTW, AgileBits, thanks for fixing 1PW so quickly.

• juanra
    juanra
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty No problem. I know stuff happens, and though I panicked there for a little while, the quick response from you guys was great. Hope Apple can figure out a way to prevent this from happening again, because it hurts customers. There has to be a way to allow end users to be able to access their vaults no matter what (data availability is one of the aspects of security).
    Anyway, keep up the good work!

PS: you guys did great staying cool while some people got kind of nasty.

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem ... I understand that Apple's entitlement process is the (main) cause of the problem and I appreciate AgileBit's swift response. I don't know what you could have done differently before the incident (well, I suppose you could have renewed the certificate earlier). But what I'm mainly concerned about is what is AgileBits doing now and in the immediate future to ensure 1Password remains accessible. If 1Password must use Apple's entitlement scheme, aren't we still vulnerable to another failure? As jimpm suggested, I would like 1Password to include some sort of fallback method that doesn't rely on entitlements, at least in case of emergency. Do you have any information about whether AgileBits is considering this or a similar solution? If not, can you please suggest it to the powers that be?

• roustem
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thank you for the clarification, @syncrasy!

At the moment we are working with Apple to determine the cause of this issue. Hopefully, it could be fixed on our side with a different configuration or with a change in macOS.

We also will make sure to renew the provisioning profiles more often to at least minimize the possibility of this problem happening in the future.

Let's get to the bottom of this and then think about the fallback options. Implementing something to guard from this particular issue might not protect from a different scenario. Our team responded to this issue in just a few hours, on Saturday night. And there are a few fallback options already available: mobile apps for iOS/Android and web access through 1Password.com.

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem ... Thanks. But since I don't have (or want) a 1Password.com account nor use 1Password for mobile, those fallbacks don't pertain to me. I would be looking for a fallback mode built in to the desktop 1Password software (i.e., a design/program change). Also, the Emergency Kit appears to apply only to 1Password.com accounts, so that doesn't help me either. At this point all I can do to ensure access is export a text file as a "safety" copy and put it into an encrypted folder on my Mac. But those ascii text files obviously are not user friendly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Keep in mind that even if you don't use 1Password.com, the mobile apps are a free download. As roustem mentioned, we're not going to implement anything in haste. Once we have more information, we'll be better equipped to mitigate issues like this in the future. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.