To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I'm checking that validity of 1Password mini. My identity was just stolen

What is 1Password mini and why does it keep coming up that I need to connect to it? My identity was just stolen over the weekend and I need to check the validity of everything. 1Password has every password to every important thing in my life and I need to make sure that the requirement to do something with 1Password mini is valid. Please explain. I'd really prefer to talk to someone live if at all possible. Can you provide me with a phone number?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I'm checking that validity of 1Password mini. My identity was just stolen & I need to check everyth

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @dhelmrobinson,

I've very sorry to hear about the identity theft. Depending on how it was abused, these things can take a long time to recovery from, so I wish you the best through what may turn out to be a not very pleasant process.

1Password mini is part of the 1Password application on your Mac1, but it runs as a program by itself. It is what is in the menu bar (if you have left 1Password mini to show in the menu bar). Mini is also what the 1Password browser extension talks to. Indeed, 1Password mini is what you are interacting with once you call up 1Password from your browser. It also handles data synchronization even when the main application isn't running.

It is a good idea to always keep 1Password mini running, as you can leave set from 1Password's General Preferences in 1Password for Mac.

1Password for Mac General Preferences

More on identity theft

You didn't describe the nature of the particular crime you have been victim to (and that is fine), so my comments here may not apply very well to your situation.

1Password is probably the strongest part of your security for the secrets you store in it. Note that we have designed 1Password so that we ourselves cannot get at your secrets. As a consequence even if the data we hold were to fall into the hands of bag guys they wouldn't be able to get at your secrets either. This is because 1Password uses true end-to-end encryption,.

But 1Password it cannot protect you against merchants who may store credit card details insecurely. Most credit card details are stolen from traditional retailers. Likewise things like social security numbers are stolen from the organizations (e.g., credit rating companies) that store those. Quite simply, attackers go after the weakest links, and 1Password is most certainly not a weak link.

As the US catches up with most of the rest of the world in moving to chip-and-PIN credit cards, merchants will have less exploitable data to steal, but even then this isn't a problem that is going to go away. But improved practices (particularly not storing sensitive information at all) will make things harder for those who try to steal and abuse identities.

1. On the Mac we call this "1Password mini", but in 1Password 4 for Windows it is called "1Password Agent" and in 1Password 6 for Windows it is called "1Password Helper" to follow the conventions used on those systems. As you specifically asked about "mini" I am going to talk about 1Password for Mac. ↩︎

This discussion has been closed.