Still offer one time license purchase?

On 1Password website, I can only find monthly subscription. Do you still offer one time license purchase (Pro version)? If yes, how much for single purchase and families purchase? What is missing in pro version compare with monthly subscription in term of features?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jefflau1030: While it is still possible to purchase a standalone license, we've de-emphasized this on our site since a 1Password.com subscription is the best option for most people — especially new users.

In your case, a 1Password Families plan would mean not having to purchase multiple licenses across various platforms, for each family member. There just isn't a way to bundle things in this fashion across app stores without the 1Password.com service.

Apart from giving you (and your family) access to all of the apps, 1Password.com also includes the web interface, does away with sync configuration entirely, and makes it easy to share vaults with family members: you each simply login to your account on your devices to access your personal data and any vaults that have been shared with you.

But the most important feature for me is one that isn't particularly exciting for most people: automatic backups and item history. I sleep better at night knowing that I always have a backup of my most important data — and I don't have to spend my waking hours working out a backup strategy either.

Those are all benefits that unfortunately aren't even possible without the 1Password.com service, and if any of that appeals to you, I think you'll be in for a treat. But don't take my word for it: just sign up for a free 30 day trial and see for yourself. And by all means, let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• Thanks Brenty for your response! Does it mean that I would be able to choose purchasing a license or go with monthly subscription at the end of trial period? Is there anyway to just go ahead with purchasing a license before the end of trail period?

If I understand you correctly, then the missing feature with pro version is NO backup automatically, right? Please clarify.

• Sorry, @brenty forgot to @ mention you in the previous reply.

• @brenty another question I have is about he pricing. I was going to install 1password on my Mac and found the price is 6x more expensive than the price of standard alone license on iPhone. Why is there so much different? What is the different between the 2 versions on Mac and iPhone? It is confusing me. Please clarify.

• RomanRoman 1Password Alumni

@jefflau1030 - The trial you're currently on is for the subscription. New subscribers receive a 30-day trial period. In case you decide not to continue with the subscription at the end of the trial, you can of course choose a license instead. You'd need to move your data out of the account vault into a local vault, though, and we'll be able to help you with that. But please give the subscription a thorough try, I think you'll see that it's a great offering.

Regarding the pricing difference I must say that it's a consequence of the realities of the App Store marketplace: people are not ready to pay the same price for mobile apps as they'd pay for equivalent desktop apps. About $60 dollars is a reasonable price for a Mac app compared to other similar offerings. But most people value mobile apps far less, although they offer similar feature sets. The price difference is also great reason for a subscription: you don't have to worry about these things, or things like upgrade pricing when new major versions come out. You just always have the most recent version of 1Password on all of your devices, no matter what. :)

• @Roman Thanks for the info!

• RomanRoman 1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @jefflau1030! Please let us know if you need anything else. We’ll be happy to help! :)

• @Roman I have another question, if I get the standalone app on Mac, does the price already including the standalone app on iOS? or I need to buy the iOS standalone app as well? Please clarify.

In addition, if I have 2 family members including me at home, then do I need to get 2 copies of standalone app on Mac and 2 copies of standalone app on iOS? or one copy of standalone app on Mac and 2 copies of standalone app on iOS? Please advise.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@jefflau1030,

if I get the standalone app on Mac, does the price already including the standalone app on iOS?

It does not. The mobile apps are not included with a license. The iOS app is available for free in the iTunes App Store, and there is an in-app purchase available for Pro features:

1Password 6 for iOS - iTunes App Store

Pro features in 1Password for iOS

In addition, if I have 2 family members including me at home, then do I need to get 2 copies of standalone app on Mac and 2 copies of standalone app on iOS?

Licenses are per-person, so yes, you'd need two purchases of each. In that case you may find the subscription offerings to be less expensive. Only our subscription offerings (1Password Families) allow multiple people access under one roof.

Thanks!

Ben

• Thanks @Ben ! If I bought 2 copies of standalone app on Mac then how do they co-exist in one Mac?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks @Ben ! If I bought 2 copies of standalone app on Mac then how do they co-exist in one Mac?

From a technical perspective you wouldn't need to apply both licenses for 1Password to operate. However to remain within the licensing agreement you'd need to have purchased one for each individual using 1Password.

Ben

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Also we just announced a very special Family Day offer you may be interested in:

AgileBits Blog | Secure Your Whole Family with Our Special Family Day Special!

Ben

• Thanks @Ben for the info! The special offer is great ONLY for a big family with more than 5 family members, but additional 5 members are not really benefit to my case because our family have 4 members ONLY and 5 is already more than enough. Is there any other special offer that is really benefit me?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

@jefflau1030

The offer also includes double the storage space for Documents as 1Password Families normally offers (2GB vs 1GB). This can be incredibly useful for storing things like scans of passports, credit cards, wills, and other important documents that you want to securely store digitally.

I really think that especially if you plan to use 1Password with your family not only would 1Password Families be the better solution, but would also be the less expensive solution.

Ben

• Thanks @Ben ! May I just double check if standalone license purchase still in option to consumer? I personally don't prefer subscription, would like to use 1 password if I could go with standalone license purchase. Please double confirm.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @jefflau1030

We're no longer marketing the standalone license offering. While it is still possible to purchase it (I'll email you a link), we are no longer recommending it for new customers. It requires more technical skill and attention to configure and maintain and as such we strongly feel the subscription offering is the better choice for most people.

That said, there are some that are comfortable with the level of technical skill required to set up the standalone product, and if you're one of them, then you're welcome to give it a try. I just don't want you to be put off on 1Password altogether because of that. The subscription service is definitely easier to use, especially if sharing with a family.

Ben

ref: YJU-71756-735

• I understand the benefits of your new subscription service, but prefer to use my current standalone license and buy a new one in the future.

Will you still offer standalone licenses for major 1Password releases, e.g. 1Password 7?

• FrankFrank

Team Member
    edited February 2017

Hi @nhat - I completely understand and you're free to continue using your standalone license. We're just happy you're using 1Password. As far as future releases, I rather be honest and say I really don't know.

A great way to stay up to date with 1Password news is our blog - https://blog.agilebits.com

Let us know if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to help. Have a great day!

• @Frank thanks for your straight answer. 1Password is an essential app on all my devices, keep up the great work :)

• FrankFrank

Team Member
    edited February 2017

You're very welcome :-) I'm happy to hear 1Password is essential to you (me too) and I appreciate the kind words. Feel free to reach out to us anytime, we're always happy to help out.

This discussion has been closed.