Allocating a login item to a particular vault.

Options
Pandatol
Pandatol
Community Member

Perhaps I am missing something, but I find 1Password, although effective, quite difficult to follow as it does not seem to me to be very intuitive.
( I expect to get flamed for this! )
Can someone advise me please, how can I allocate a login item to a particular vault?
Paul

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• stevelack
    stevelack
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pandatol,

There is a way to do that in 1Password. Just open up 1Password, highlight the item you want to move or copy to another vault and select the menu item ITEM.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pandatol,

I hope stevelack's answer was helpful for you! In case you're curious, we have more information here: Move items between vaults

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• Pandatol
    Pandatol
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying to categorise my items because my list has become so long and difficult to manage.
    Can you advise please, should I be putting different items into several different vaults or is there an easier, more convenient way to split up the address list (such as financial, property, personal, holidays etc)?
    Paul

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pandatol,

...should I be putting different items into several different vaults or is there an easier, more convenient way...

There are different ways to organize your data in 1Password, so it's a matter of figuring out which way works best for your needs. For example, some customers like to keep all their personal data in one vault and all their work-related data in another vault. Some like to keep all their data in a single vault and organize it by using Tags.

...to split up the address list (such as financial, property, personal, holidays etc)?

I'm not sure exactly what type of items you're trying to organize. When you say "address list", are you talking about Login items (which are used to sign in to websites by filling your username and password), or are you talking about Identity items (which are used to fill web forms that ask for information like your name, street address, email address, etc)?

If you can elaborate a bit on what type of information you're trying to organize and/or how you'd like to organize it, we might be able to give a more specific recommendation. Thanks! :)

• Pandatol
    Pandatol
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, thank you.
    Please excuse my delay in reply, I'm travelling.

I put everything into 'Logins'. I have a huge list now.
    They are all Logins I think, such as Bank accounts, Airlines, Holiday hotels, Property, Medical etc. etc..
    They almost all want to log in to a web page except for Credit Cards. I haven't tried from filling items so far.

How can I set up new Headings such as the ones just mentioned please? ( Either that or I suppose I could set up a lot of vaults ).
    Thanks for your advice.

Paul

• Hi @Pandatol,

Right now the best way to organize things into groups like Bank Accounts, Airlines, Holiday Hotels, etc is with Tags:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-mac/#organize-with-favorites-and-tags

An item can have more than one Tag if you wish. Then you click the Tag in the side bar and 1Password will show you all the items that have been tagged with that Tag.

So clicking the Airline Tag will show you a list off all the items you've tagged with "Airline"

Hopefully that will get you on the road to organizing 1Password in a way that works just right for you!

– Andrew

• Pandatol
    Pandatol
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Andrew,

That you so much for your helpful advice. I found the Tag system very useful.

Another thing, I can't understand the difference between 'log-in' and 'passwords'. Most of my entries are for logging in to a webpage using a password. So which one should I use?
    Also, can I switch between these sub-headings? And if so how?

And are there any tangible differences between 'Secure notes' 'credit cards' and 'Bank Accounts'?

Thank you for our kind assistance.
    Paul

• Hi @Pandatol,

Most of the time you'll want "Login", those are the best way to easily login to a website. Login items store Username, Password, URL, and any other details you need.

A "Password" item is useful if you only need a password but as I said, most of the time you'll want to make a Login item.

This discussion has been closed.