To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confusion on migrating from standalone 1Password to 1Password account?

Options
pwhelper4tx
pwhelper4tx
Community Member

I've been reading pages on Agilebits web-site and it appears that establishing a (subscription-based) 1Password "account" enables one to copy one's password data from the standalone app to one's Agilebits web-site "account". I've watched the "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account", and it's left me confused. I'm perplex by two aspects: 1) the web-page related to this and the accompanying video talk about MOVING the data from one's standalone 1Password app to the Agilebits web-site "account" -- it does NOT say COPY the data from one's standalone 1Password app to the Agilebits web-site "account". 2) there's mention of "all my saved items have been moved into my account...With everything sync'd through 1password.com I don't need the old local vault anymore so I'll just click on Remove Vault". Huh?!? If remove my 1Password data from my standalone 1Password app, then how do I use the app anymore?!? The data's no longer there? Does that imply then that one can only use the standalone 1Password app when connected to the internet (which one, of course NORMALLY would, but not necessarily if wanting to read a 'secure note'), and what would happen if 1password.com's web-site is DOWN for any reason???

Let's assume I'm just not understanding how having an "account" really works, and that one DOES actually still have their password data, etc. still physically residing on a device (e.g. iPhone). If I delete, either intentionally or by accident, my 1Password app running on my iPhone, can I merely go to Apple's app store and re-download the app and somehow get all my password data back that's been, um, "moved", to my 1Password "account"? And, if so, what happens if this occurs -- i.e. delete the 1Password app on my iPhone and then need to re-download it onto my iPhone) -- while I am traveling say to a foreign country?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2.1, MacOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pwhelper4tx

I'd be happy to try and clear up some of the confusion.

When migrating your data to a 1Password account we recommend a MOVE operation (vs COPY) because with a copy you'll end up with duplicates. This is because before you're able to do the migration you're actually going to sign into the account with the app, and any vaults that are accessible on the website will also be accessible on your device. The apps are still a big part of the account offering.

A connection to the internet is not required to view your data (assuming you've already signed into your account from the device you're trying to access your data from). When you launch the app, if you have internet connectivity, it caches your data locally on the device. So in the future when you launch the app without internet access whatever data was already there will still be there.

If I delete, either intentionally or by accident, my 1Password app running on my iPhone, can I merely go to Apple's app store and re-download the app and somehow get all my password data back that's been, um, "moved", to my 1Password "account"?

Yes. You'd do that and then simply sign back into your account.

This actually works much better than a standalone vault because at least with iOS when you remove the app iOS also deletes all data associated with that app (i.e. your standalone vault). With an account the local cache will be deleted but all of your data still exists on 1Password.com and when you sign in you'll have access to it again.

And, if so, what happens if this occurs -- i.e. delete the 1Password app on my iPhone and then need to re-download it onto my iPhone) -- while I am traveling say to a foreign country?

Again you'd just sign into your 1Password account within the app and it'll re-download everything. :)

Ben

• pwhelper4tx
    pwhelper4tx
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds exactly what I need, and thank you for the clarifications. Given that, I assume then for my other devices, I would merely delete the vaults on each of them and then within the 1Password app's running on them sign into my 1Password account which would result in them getting populated with the data (from the first device) while avoiding the duplicates?

• Ben
    Options

Exactly. :)

Ben

• pwhelper4tx
    pwhelper4tx
    Community Member
    Options

I gave it a try (and did a backup first). Glad I did. I had overlooked that once one goes to the "account" model, you lose folders; only have tags. I understand how many might think of tags and folders as somewhat redundant ideas and that one of the positive things about tags (over folders) is that you can apply multiple tags to a single item. However, folders can be NESTED. That's a paradigm that's difficult to achieve with just tags. I really, REALLY liked having both folders and tags. Let's say someone has a folder "Medications" and a tag "drug". Alas, you wish to make a subfolder under Medications called "OLD". A simple drag and drop from Medications to Medications/OLD and I was done. With tags, I'd need to edit an old drug, and perhaps remove the old tag "drug" and create a new one named "olddrug" and then do a Save. What a pain. Now, let's say someone did that for their three kids. You can imagine the complexity navigating with "maryolddrug" or two tags like "mary" "olddrug". Ugh, well, you get the idea. I really like the flexibility of the account model, but lacking folders is pretty hard when you're accustomed to them. And, now I just learned that doing a backup isn't really an option with the "account" model unless one does an unencrypted export. Hmmm...

• Hi @pwhelper4tx - Thank you for getting back to us. Yes, folders is not supported with our new 1Password.com accounts. So I apologize and understand folders is an important feature for you. Another option, you can create multiple vaults to better organize the data. For example, I created a "Work" vault then added all my work related data to that specific vault. Then I just switch over to the work vault and search for the data there. I figured I would mention my use case since it might work for you. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and let us know if you have any additional questions. Enjoy the rest of your day!

This discussion has been closed.