Unable to open 1Password, error message "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini"

aaaashy
aaaashy
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

this should have been sorted a LONG time ago, in fact i used to get a message saying there was more than one version but it under stood that there might be a backup copy on an extra HD, but your app has been playing DUMB and i need to use an app and the ****ing PW is in 1PW

you really are not having a good week are you????

btw i am on OSX 10.11.6 and running 1PW v6..5.3

i know your problems with the apple auth, but understand that only concerns this who are running sierra. which i am not

i really need to use the app NOW

please sort asap

it is seriously not funny when the password manager goes apeshit

grrrrrrrr

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: no idea
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: just trying to open !PW
Referrer: forum-search:will no logimn

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aaaashy,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password! It sounds like it's a very frustrating problem, but I'm having trouble understanding what's happening on your Mac. Are you unable to launch the 1Password app?

You mentioned something about previously seeing a message about having extra copies of 1Password, and that you had copies on a backup drive. If you're seeing a different message now when trying to open 1Password, does it happen to be the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error? If it is, and if you're using version 6.5.3 from our own website, you'll need to manually install our update for version 6.5.5. You can download it from this link: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM4

Once the download completes, open the downloaded .pkg file and complete the brief installation. Once you do that, 1Password should work properly again. If you install it and the issue doesn't go away, click 'Quit' in the error about 1Password mini, then open the Applications folder on your Mac and drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Now download/install the latest version from our website again and that should take care of the problem.

Please let us know how it all goes! Or if I misunderstood the problem you're running into, please let us know exactly what happens, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• aaaashy
    aaaashy
    Community Member

yes, previously i had been receiving messages about having two copies of 1Pw (one on my main HD and one on my backup HD, who doesn’t?), and that annoying question was easily resolved by just telling the app to ignore one and update the other

this time it was, as you suggested, "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini", but now with no option to do anything other than ask for help, and wait until you gave an answer ... which in turn, obviously prevented me from accessing 1Pw .... which is a REAL PROBLEM

unfortunately 1Pw does tend to hide all passwords behind its closed doors, as it should so you will say, but when things like this occur it can suddenly prevent a user from actually doing what they need to do, which is a disaster

fortunately i also have 1Pw on my iPhone and so was able to find the password required and open the app

but it does bring up this issue of never automatically giving me the password when required, so i have taken to also using OSXes Safari password system, even tho it is possibly relatively unsafe, because it was getting tiresome repeatedly having to go to 1Pw, open it, and search for a password, for a simple website login ................... which, of course, defeats the reason for having a special password manager at all, in those particular cases ...... no idea how you are going to resolve that issue!!!

i do not know why i had this specific problem, i know you have recently had issues caused by a new diktat from Apple about how it requires certification for its OSX 10.12, but had also heard that this did not apply to users still on 10.11 like myself, maybe it was a new issue .... but one thing is for sure, if i am going to use a password manager it had better open when i need it, or i will stop using it

maybe every time i get a message like that (in future, assuming this sort of thing WILL happen again), one of the things that i am told on not being able to open your app is to get the update (and supply the link)

i do appreciate your personal response to my angry request for help, but these sort of issues do suddenly take over ones life, when i am trying to just get work done, and there has to be a way out of this

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aaaashy,

It sounds like 1Password is working on your Mac now - if so, I'm very happy to hear that!

The "extra copies of 1Password found" message you've seen before is unrelated to the recent problem you ran into with the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error. There are different things that can cause that message, but in this case, there's a very specific reason why version 6.5.3 from our website stopped working and gave that error, and we posted a blog article on Sunday to help explain it: 1Password for Mac 6.5.5: Manual update required

We were just as surprised by this as you were, and from what we know, we did nothing wrong to have caused it. This problem wasn't specific to 1Password, as other apps were also affected. The error message doesn't accurately describe what happened, but we posted another blog article a few days ago which has more technical details, if you're interested: Certificates, Provisioning Profiles, and Expiration Dates: The Perfect Storm

As soon as the problem started last Saturday, our developers scrambled to figure out why that was happening, find a solution, release an update with the fix, and communicate everything to our customers. They were able to do all that within a few hours, but I'm sorry if you had trouble finding the solution right away. For the record, we posted information about it on our main support site, in an announcement post at the top of our Mac forum, in a new support article dedicated to the issue, at the top of an existing support article about a similar issue, in the two blog articles I previously mentioned, on our Facebook page, and on our Twitter account (and other places).

This unusual (and unexpected) problem was unique in that it caused version 6.5.3 to stop working at all, and the only way to solve that was for us to release an update. Our developers have submitted bug reports to Apple and are working with them to help make sure this type of problem doesn't happen again.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, and we truly appreciate hearing your thoughts about how this affected you. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have more questions about what happened. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.