One database with iCloud sync to two devices - but different vault password

Options
SamSR
SamSR
Community Member

I have 1Password installed on two Macs and iPhone — I use iCloud sync between them.

Recently 1password stopped working on one Mac (the 'cannot connect to 1password mini error' - couldn't fix it)

So I uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled 1Password on that Mac.
Connecting to the existing iCloud database on startup gave an error and didn't work.
So I created a fresh new vault, with a new password.
Then in 'Preferences > Sync' I connected to iCloud, and when it indicated existing data, I merged the two.
This worked, and it is syncing new entries between all devices as usual.

So now I have the iCloud data on two Macs, but each uses a different password to unlock 1password.

Is this ok?

If I install 1password on a new Device, and sync to iCloud, which vault password is now valid?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX El Capitan
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @SamSR,

I'm sorry you had some trouble with 1Password! Thank you for the details about the steps you took, that's definitely helpful for us. I'm curious about the fact that you needed to set up the 1Password app again after deleting and reinstalling it. The 1Password data on your Mac is stored separately from the app, so deleting the app won't delete your data. When you reinstalled and opened the app, it should have found your data and asked for your master password like usual. Did you by any chance use an app cleaning tool when you deleted the app (which may have also deleted your data)? Or did you manually delete any files/folders related to 1Password?

But getting to your actual question: as long as 1Password is syncing correctly between your Macs and iPhone, it's ok if each Mac has a different master password. But that might get confusing, so it's better to make sure they all use the same one.

I don't know which master password is associated with the data in iCloud now, but it's easy to solve this: Choose which master password you want to use on all your devices (old or new), then change it to that master password on any device using the other one. In other words, if you want to use the new master password, change it to the new master password on the Mac and iPhone that use the old one. Or if you want to use the old master password, change it to the old master password on the Mac that uses the new one. Then it will be the same on all three.

To change the master password on a Mac, open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Security > Change Master Password.

To change the master password on an iOS device, open the 1Password app and go to Settings > Security > Change Master Password.

Does that help? If you have any trouble or questions, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• SamSR
    SamSR
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying everything. This is a relief :-)

And yes I did use AppCleaner.app to uninstall 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is a relief! Thanks for following up. I'm glad Drew was able to help, and we're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.