Asked for Account Key after deleting and reinstalling

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Out of nowhere - “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”.

Comments

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

I had a similar problem except that my version of 1Password is from the App Store. I deleted the old version and reinstalled. It then asks for my account key as well as Master Password. I can't find my account key anywhere. What do I do?
    I have access to 1 Password on my iOS device but not my Mac now.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kboatc,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with 1Password! Since the problem is now different than the one from the other discussion, I've moved your message to a new thread in order to avoid confusion. I hope you don't mind!

It sounds like 1Password is asking you to go through the initial setup, as if it's the first time you've ever used it on your Mac. But that shouldn't normally happen when you delete and reinstall the 1Password app, because your data is stored separately from the app. After you deleted the Mac App Store version of 1Password, did you download it from our website? If so, that explains why it didn't automatically find your data, as the Mac App Store and website versions store data in different locations.

So, you have a couple options. One is to delete the copy of 1Password you downloaded/installed from our website (just drag it to the Trash, don't use any app cleaning tools), and then reinstall it from the 'Purchased' section of the Mac App Store. Then try to open it again. If it works, it should ask for your master password like usual. If it still gives you an error, we'll help you to solve that.

On the other hand, you can continue using the version you downloaded from our website if you want to. It sounds like you chose the option to sign into a 1Password.com account, which is why it's asking you for information such as an Account Key. If you don’t have an account on 1Password.com, you just need to go back and choose a different option from the first setup screen. For example, if you sync your 1Password data via Dropbox, select 'Dropbox' on that first screen (under "Used 1Password before?").

Does that help? Please let us know how it all goes and if you still have trouble or if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

I re-installed from the App Store 'purchased' section. The error is still the same.

I tried re-installing again and I now don't have any error messages but the 1Password App on my Mac is empty when I sign in.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kboatc,

I'm confused about which version you most recently reinstalled and can open. If you reinstalled the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) and are now able to open it, you should still see all your data there unless it was somehow removed. Or if you reinstalled the AgileBits Store/website version (1Password 6.app), it sounds like you went through the initial setup and chose to create a new standalone vault (which would explain why it's empty).

In either case, if you have all your latest 1Password data on your iOS device, that should make it easy to get things back to normal on your Mac. We just need to figure out which sync method you were previously using between your Mac and iOS device.

On your iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary. Near the top of the screen, you should see "Sync Service". Which sync option is shown to the right of that?

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

I reinstalled from the App Store on my iMac. There is zero data available.

I used WiFi for my password syncing previously.

When I go to Settings>Sync>Primary, I have a page which shows 'Primary Vault' and immediately below an option to 'Start Syncing'. Below that shows the number of items.

If I select 'Start Syncing', I am presented with an option to 'Choose a Sync Method'. If I select 'Sync with WLAN Server' as I did before I get a message saying I've never synced to this iMac before and I can 'Start Sync'. When I do that a message box appears that says 'Sync Problem - The operation couldn't be completed. Connection refused.' Both are operating off the same WiFi network.

When I select 'More Info' I get the following message:

Sync Problem
    Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain
    Code=61 "Conection refused"
    UserInfo={_kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=61,_kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1}

I'm also confused :)

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help! This would be maddening without you reaching out to assist.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kboatc,

I'm very sorry it took longer than usual to get back to you! Thanks for checking the sync settings on your iOS device, and also for the details about what happens when you try syncing via WLAN Server again. It's all very helpful for us!

From your description, it sounds like sync had been turned off in 1Password on your iOS device (which is why it said 'Start Syncing' instead of 'Sync Service'). It also sounds like your 1Password data was somehow removed from your Mac - if you had used an app cleaning tool when deleting the 1Password app, it may have deleted the data as well.

Before doing anything else, it's a good idea to create a backup of the 1Password data on your iOS device and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: iOS: Create a backup

Once you've done that, you can try setting up WLAN Server again if that's how you'd like to sync your data. You'll also need to enable the WLAN Server option in 1Password on your Mac, and you'll need to have 1Password open and unlocked on both your Mac and your iOS device. Please make sure you follow the steps here: How to use the WLAN server

Does that help or do you end up getting the same error as before?

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

That seems to have worked.

Just to be clear I had not touched the sync option in iOS nor had I made any adjustments to my iMac version. I simply updated the 1Password through the App Store and received the message that there was an error and I could no longer access my information from the iMac. I have never used an app cleaning tool so it wasn't that either.

Bottom line - I appreciate the help and it seems to be working normally again.

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

Not working normally after all!

I can't sync between my iMac and iOS because I get an error indicating as follows:

Sync Problem
    Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured.

Dismiss More Info

Under More Info

Sync Problem
    Error
    Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=7027 "Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured."
    Userinfo={OPErrorHelpKey=https://support.1password.com/wifi-error-7027/,NSFilePath=,NSLocalizedDescription=Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured.}

Dismiss

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a trick for getting it to sync again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kboatc: You can't switch between systems, or you'll get that error since the vault doesn't match. That wreaks havoc with 1Password's sync state, which it uses to avoid conflicts when you make changes on multiple devices. Where do you have your data currently? The best thing to do would be to backup your data there, and then start over on the other devices to sync all your data over. Let me know where you're at and I can walk you through it.

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

Where is it easiest to start? I have backed up my iOS data and restored to the iMac, so my data is updated in each place. I also have a couple of other iOS devices that need to be synced as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kboatc,

It looks like you're getting an error message very similar to the one from this knowledgebase article: If you see error 7027 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Does that article help at all? If not, can you please let us know a few more details:

Thanks!

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

macOS Sierra Version 10.12.3
    1Password on Mac Version 6.6.2 (662004) Mac App Store

iOS Version 10.2.1 (14D27)
    1Password on iOS device 6.5.2

It seems my explanation hasn't been clear. I never changed anything except for updating the 1Password apps. Without doing anything differently I suddenly had error messages as described above. Currently, 1Password refuses to sync because it says I'm trying to sync with a different vault than original. Why would this have changed? I have no idea.

I've managed to backup my iOS data to my Mac and have restored the data and now have access to my passwords on both Mac and iPhone. However, I can't sync and it's driving me crazy!

brenty commented that I could backup my data and then start over with my other devices. He offered to walk me through it but I haven't heard back.

I really appreciate the help and look forward to having this resolved as I love the app when it works as it should.

Thanks!

• kboatc
    kboatc
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved!
    I backed up and then deleted my app on my Mac. This did nothing to solve the issue.

I then backed up and deleted the app on my iPhone. This allowed me to sync to my Mac again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kboatc: Thanks for following up. I'm sorry you ran into trouble there in the first place, but I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you've already done what I suggested and started over with 1Password on your iPhone. Backing up the data was my chief concern. Better safe than sorry. We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.