1Password doesn't work with most banking apps?

Options
pdp
pdp
Community Member

New user. I think I have everything installed on my iMac and iPhone, but I just want to make sure of something: 1Password doesn't work with most banking apps? Is that correct? Not Citibank or BofA or any of them? This seems nuts.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:banking apps

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pdp,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

You can see the list of apps that have added support for 1Password (and made us aware) here:

AgileBits Blog | Apps ❤ 1Password

Please do note though that any apps that are missing aren't a result of us not wanting to work with them. We're happy to work with, I imagine, just about anybody to get our extension integrated in their app. But it is something they actively have to include in their app. We provide all of the code necessary for them to do so, but they have to take that final step. We can't do that for them.

If you know of an app that doesn't have 1Password / password manager support please feel free to reach out to them with this link:

Developer Outreach

That provides them with all the information they need to include support in their app.

Thanks!

Ben

• pdp
    pdp
    Community Member
    Options

The thing is, well, two things.
    1. Since no banks are on your list, I should harbor no hope that suddenly they will start working with you. They must have their reasons to keep their distance. I really wish I'd known about this before I signed on to a family plan.
    2. It's now much, much more complicated to use mobile banking. Before, I launched my banking app, input my (admittedly kinda sucky) password, and that was that. Now, I have to find and launch your app, input a vastly more complicated password, scroll down a list to find my bank's icon, copy the password, get out of your app, find and launch my bank's app, paste.

Your app has made my life more complicated, and weirdly none of the reviews or user comments I read mentioned that as a possibility. Before I cancel my subscription, maybe you can convince me that this product is worthwhile.

• pdp
    pdp
    Community Member
    Options

OK, one more thing. I was notified via email that your response had been posted. I happened to have my iPad in hand. I clicked on the link, read your response, then clicked the box so I could respond. Up came a pop-up window asking for my credentials for the Agilebits community forum (because I had signed on previously on my iMac). But there was no way to populate that pop-up using 1Password. That pop-up window didn't have the "share" icon to access 1Password. I had to back out and find another way to log in on an actual web page rather than a pop-up. If your own web page doesn't work seamlessly with your product, how can I rely on it?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pdp,

Since no banks are on your list, I should harbor no hope that suddenly they will start working with you.

And you may very well be right. My thoughts:

1) A lot of banks will not allow you to use a password of greater length than 16 characters. The bank I use only recently started allowing passwords greater than 8 characters. This is terrible security, but they continue to roll with it.
    2) Likewise, many do not allow the use of special characters (either limiting you to a very basic set of characters, or disallowing them altogether).
    3) Banks are heavily insured, have fraud detection systems, and legal penalties for crimes against them are stiff. As such they aren't as incentivized as other industries without those protections to put technical means of security in place.
    4) Banks run on a lot of legacy code and are very hesitant to upgrade it.

Now, I have to find and launch your app, input a vastly more complicated password, scroll down a list to find my bank's icon, copy the password, get out of your app, find and launch my bank's app, paste.

Yep, and I agree that isn't an ideal workflow. Obviously it'd be better if banks would integrate our password manager extension. There is always a trade-off between security and convenience though, and you have to decide what the right balance is for yourself. We could all walk around with our PINs tattooed on our arms, and that'd be super convenient, but not at all secure.

If you have to use their mobile app, you're probably going to have to copy & paste. Unless you adjust your balance and decide that having a weak but more convenient password is a more appropriate situation for yourself. An alternative though might be to use their website instead of their mobile app. With Safari on iOS our extension is integrated:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

OK, one more thing. I was notified via email that your response had been posted. I happened to have my iPad in hand. I clicked on the link, read your response, then clicked the box so I could respond.

I just tested this on my iPad and it worked fine for me, using the built-in Mail app (which just launches Safari when tapping on links). Which app are you using for email?

If you are using the Mail app, and have the extension enabled in Safari, you should be able to use the Share sheet to activate 1Password after tapping on a link.

That pop-up window didn't have the "share" icon to access 1Password. I had to back out and find another way to log in on an actual web page rather than a pop-up.

We don't control the pop-up windows in 3rd party apps. :) If you're using something other than Mail and it doesn't launch Safari when you tap a link then I could see where you may run into some difficulty. Most apps have a way to launch Safari from whatever web page you are currently viewing.

Thanks.

Ben

• pdp
    pdp
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, thanks for patiently responding to my ranting. Sigh. The reason I'm so disappointed is that this was my primary reason for getting a password protection system in the first place: to protect my bank accounts from people exploiting my (very bad, easily hackable) passwords. I'd read so many great things about 1Password, but hadn't read anywhere about this limitation. The banking apps I use are vastly more useful than their web counterparts (can't deposit a check on the Safari version, etc.). Oh well.

As far as the pop-up problem goes, the link in Mail on the iPad did open in Safari, but then I got that weird pop-up. It doesn't happen to me now, either, because now I'm already logged in. I just logged out, but I can't recreate the situation. I wish I'd gotten a screen shot for you. No need to respond further. Thanks again for being so patient.

• Ben
    Options

The banking apps I use are vastly more useful than their web counterparts (can't deposit a check on the Safari version, etc.). Oh well.

I understand. My bank is the same way. Fortunately they support Touch ID for their app, so I can use a wicked long & strong password of which I have no memory, but use Touch ID to authenticate. Obviously I'd prefer 1Password, but Touch ID is good too. :)

Some of my credit cards don't support Touch ID yet, and I have to copy & paste from 1Password for the password (they remember the username). It is a couple extra steps but I find it to be worth while for the added security.

The reason I'm so disappointed is that this was my primary reason for getting a password protection system in the first place: to protect my bank accounts from people exploiting my (very bad, easily hackable) passwords.

We'll keep pushing on the banks, but I'd encourage you to do so as well. Hearing from us is one thing. Hearing from hundreds of their customers is another. ;)

Thanks again for being so patient.

You're very welcome! That's what we're here for. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.