When trying to download 1password 6.6.1 in chrome get a warning (and a strange file extension)

Options
timdiggins
timdiggins
Community Member

When trying to download 1password 6.6.1 from the 1password.com support site (https://1password.com/downloads/) (to get around the "failed to connect to 1Password mini" problem with expired cert), Chrome gives an unexpected warning:

plus -- the extension is really weird (not .pkg as expected but .aka -- first a being [IPA character upside down backwards a] ).
Freaky - which is not what I want with my 1Password downloads, but may be it's a chrome problem? Trying safari now just in case.

Chrome: Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:warning chrome this type of file can harm your computer

Comments

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member
    Options

FYI - this also happens with 6.5.5, so it seems unrelated to the problem with 6.6.1

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

To me it just looks like the bottom of letters p and g have been cut off by the display. Look at the some of the other letters in the same line. They are also cut off.

My Chrome does not warn me about this file though. So I'm not sure why you are getting the warning. But strictly speaking Chrome is correct to say that this type of file can harm your computer. Any executable file can harm your computer. That is why you should only download from sources that you trust.

• timdiggins
    timdiggins
    Community Member
    Options

@pervel oh yes -- silly me (I did learn IPA in my linguistics degree, so maybe that's why I misread it, when it was small).

• Yup, I think pervel is right, it looks like they've got a font size/layout issue that is chopping off all the descenders.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.