Looking to clear up purchasing and account confusion

I'm hoping someone can clear up my confusion here.

At one time, I was a happy 1Password user. I had the app on my Mac(s) - both laptop and desktop, I had it on my android phone and on my Surface Pro 4.

I was able to open, edit and add new logins and other information on any of these and have it sync with my dropbox.

Fast forward and I have formatted my Surface Pro 4 and got a new android phone. Now, I seem to be unable to add or edit on either of those devices. As a matter of fact, I just had to get up and go to my iMac to create a new account for something because the Windows version wouldn't let me add a new account and generate a password. Kind of defeats the purpose of an app that's supposed to be available anywhere.

As a matter of fact, to register here, I used a less secure password because it seemed dumb to have to get up and go to another computer again.

I see that 1Password has gone to a subscription model. I have read the posts on the benefits (cloud storage, web access, 365 day restore, etc) but, honestly, I don't need any of those benefits. I have dropbox and my phone (had my phone) for that.

What do I need to do to return to that state on all my devices without having to go to the subscription model? If I've paid for the app previously, I would expect it would work if I go to new devices.

I know subscription models are the norm now but, as I said, there's not enough of value for me to spend $36/year. I'm considering switching but, I'd rather not. That's a huge chore for the number of passwords I'm storing.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Zone99,

Thanks for writing in.

The quick answer is that you need to download 1Password 4 for Windows instead, 1Password 6 is for 1Password.com memberships only at the moment. You can find 1Password 4 here: https://agilebits.com/downloads. Make sure you install Dropbox first, so that it downloads the copy of your 1Password vault folder. Once it is, 1Password 4 should be able to pick up that Dropbox > Apps > 1Password folder right away.

As for the Android app, it supports both, so you should just be able to use Dropbox as one of the sync options during the setup and resume from your previous Dropbox setup.

The long answer is that 1Password 6 is a new codebase and it is going to take us some time to implement everything that 1Password 4 had with its 5+ year mature codebase. We do want to add support for standalone local vaults and licenses but it is not going to be a quick one and considering 1Password 4 is available, we've decided to focus mostly on 1Password.com first because there is no other Windows version available that supports it.

As a matter of fact, I just had to get up and go to my iMac to create a new account for something because the Windows version wouldn't let me add a new account and generate a password.

That's strange since we've had an option to sign up and it takes you to the website as that is the only way to sign up for a new 1Password.com membership at the moment. We'll look into making it more obvious, thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.