Cannot unlock 1Password

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password Master Password Not Working.

Comments

• Mcaldwell12
    Mcaldwell12
    Community Member

Hi,
    I am having the same issue with my 1Password master password. Suddenly today I was unable to log into the app on my MacBook. Luckily, I use touch ID on my iPhone so I can still log in; however, this is very frustrating. I've tried resetting my master password from the iPhone, but you need the existing password to do so and this password is not working. There is zero chance that I am typing in the wrong password; I use this app everyday and enter the password on a daily basis. It's simply not recognizing my password. I need some kind of support. I've even signed onto 1password dot come, but that doesn't help either. Like I said, the only way to change the main vault master password is for the system to recognize the original master password. I've used one and only one password for this app for the last two years, but for some reason it doesn't work now.

This is s serious issue and there needs to be an update or something to fix. I have 75 different logins/passwords saved on this program and paid for this app as well. I've tried deleting and reinstalling on my MacBook and it still doesn't recognize my password. I'm afraid to delete on my iPhone because if I can't get in with touch ID then I'm really screwed. Please figure out a way to fix this issue.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mcaldwell12: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off from that other person's old discussion so we can focus on your issues.

It's important to keep in mind that 1Password never "recognizes" the Master Password. It isn't authenticating you, but rather taking the input and trying to use it to decrypt the data. If it isn't correct, it won't work. That could mean you're entering it incorrectly (even just by a little), you're using the password for a different vault/account, or the data on your device is damaged and cannot be decrypted properly. If this were a widespread problem, you wouldn't have had to dig up a thread from 6 months ago, as there would be a long line of people posting about something like this. Fortunately, that isn't the case. But un fortunately, there isn't a back door or means to "reset" your Master Password. It isn't stored anywhere, and you're the only person who ever knew it. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

Recover your Master Password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over.

It sounds like you may have signed up for a new 1Password.com Account, and while there are a lot of benefits to the new service, if you weren't already using it, you won't be able to get your data that way. It sounds like you are able to access your data on the iPhone at least. If you're syncing data between devices and it's become damaged on the Mac, that would also sync to the others. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, and the sync method. The more information you can give, the better. And be sure to backup your data. I look forward to hearing back from you!

This discussion has been closed.