Trouble switching from App Store version to Website version

Options
mthill
mthill
Community Member

I want to switch from the App Store version to the Website version. I followed the steps as instructed. I was expecting to have two versions of the app in my applications folder but only one shows up - 1Password 6.app, downloaded today. The other version of the app doesn't show up. (Last version of the App store version was 6.5.5). But when I launch the new 6.6.1 app there is no welcome screen, no configuration questions etc. I can log-in using my old password but not the new password I set up via the website.

1Password Version: 6.5.5, 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: nil

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member
    Options

Hi mthill

When you downloaded the newer website version, had you moved it manually to the apps folder or did it automatically move into the apps folder? If so it may have overridden the older app but I hope it wouldn't seeing as it should give you two icons since they each have two different names.

Cheers,
    Conor

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mthill,

The website version of 1Password (1Password 6.app) doesn't overwrite the Mac App Store version (1Password.app), so if you installed both, they should both be in Applications. Are you sure you didn't remove or delete the Mac App Store version yourself?

If the website version didn't take you through any sort of setup procedure, and if it already has all your latest data, that could mean you've been using the website version all along (which would explain why you only have the website version in the Applications folder). Are you positive you had been using the Mac App Store version before yesterday?

I can log-in using my old password but not the new password I set up via the website.

It sounds like you signed up for a 1Password.com account. Were you using the 1Password app on your Mac before that? If so, the app is asking for the master password you previously chose for the local vault you created on your Mac, which is separate from the master password you chose for your 1Password.com account.

Have you signed in to your account in the 1Password app? (From the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts to check that.) If so, and if you've already migrated all your latest data to your account vault, you can delete the old Primary/local vault. We can help you with that, we'll just need to know a bit more about how things are set up on your Mac. Let's figure out the situation with the website/Mac App Store version first, and then continue from there. Thanks! :)

• mthill
    mthill
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there - thanks for the replies. Yes, as you suspected I have been using the version from the website instead of the App store version. I went back through my receipts and drunk me bought it a couple of years ago. Sober me now wants to understand how the 1Password account I have now purchased gets reconciled with my desktop vault. Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mthill: lol no problem! "Sober me" can just follow this guide to migrate your 1Password data to your brand new 1Password.com Account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And if you use a strong enough Master Password, "drunk me" may be unable to get into more mischief with the credit card. Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.