Multiple 1PW Folders in User/Library

Tacitus99
Tacitus99
Community Member
edited February 2017 in Mac

I currently have 1-PW 6.6.1 installed on my Mac running El Cap 10.11.6 having run various versions since V3.x

In ~library/application support/ I currently have two folders:

1. 1 PW 4 containing Watchtower, Backups, b5PendingFileUpload(?) and Data. The Backups folder contains the latest backup

2. 1 PW 6 containing Backups, b5PendingFileUpload(?), Data and License. The backups are fairly recent but are not the lates - perhaps this coincides with an update but i can't be sure.

How do I sort this mess out? If I delete everything using AppDelete and reinstall using a freshly downloaded installer and then get my data back from a backed up Backup folder, will this do the job? I'm assuming that if I backup the license and then copy it back to the new support folder this will be OK.

Also in the Safari folder I have a collection of old 1-PW Extensions, probably going back to those installed with V3 Is it safe to delete these leaving only the current one?

1Password Version: 6.6.1 (Agilebits store)
Extension Version: 4.6.3
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Tacitus99,

I'm not entirely sure how you would have gotten a 1Password 6 folder there. The folder that 1Password uses has been 1Password 4 has been the name of the folder since, well, 1Password 4. Is it possible that you were asked to move your data directory aside by someone to test something?

I would certainly do a backup of both folders just incase you restore the wrong thing. I would also suggest doing a backup of your live database via the 1Password Preferences window just to be sure you're getting the latest data.

You can simply double click the license file and 1Password will put it where it needs to go.

If you've got all your data in 1Password 6 then it should be safe to delete those old extensions. If you've got all your data in 1Password 6 then you should be ok to run through https://support.1password.com/uninstall-v3-extension/

Rudy

• Tacitus99
    Tacitus99
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Thanks Rudy.

TBH I'm not sure how I ended up with two folders. I don't recall being asked to move anything for testing purposes.

The distribution of data between them appears a little random. The latest backups are in the 1-PW4 folder, whilst the latest data (files such as 78AFXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX__1DYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY3.blob2 ) are fairly evenly distributed between 1-PW4/Data and 1-PW6/Data. That said the very recent versions are in the 1-PW4 folder

I think I'll do as you suggest. Create a backup to be sure, back everything up to a separate drive and then delete the 1-PW6 folder in its entirety, renew the license and see what happens.

• @Tacitus99,

Let us know how it goes. Its really curious that there are blob files in both directories with recent modification dates. I wonder if whatever happened occurred with 1Password running. I've added a note to my list to check and see if this is another case we should attempt to detect.

Rudy

• Tacitus99
    Tacitus99
    Community Member

Will do Rudy. I'm due for my monthly whole disk backup so I may as well do that at the same time. An additional backup of ~/library should cover most eventualities.

Can't have too many backups :)

• Can't have too many backups

Agreed! :)

• Tacitus99
    Tacitus99
    Community Member

I did my backup and backed up the backups. Quit 1-PW and tried to force quit 1-PW Mini using Activity Monitor and Force Quit but it kept re-spawining itself. Took the risk that despite it still running all would be well and deleted the 1PW6 folder from user/Library/Application Support, having moved the license to the 1-PW4 folder.

Following a restart I then restored the latest data from the backup I created in case some of the current data was in the deleted folder. I didn't think it was but you never know.....

Been running 1-PW for a couple of hours now and all appears to be OK. Logins are as they should be and AFAICT all data is there.

So problem solved but I'm still curious as to why it should have happened in the first place. Might have been when I transferred stuff over to the current machine or installed an update to 1-PW but I guess I'll never know :)

Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Tacitus99: Based on your description, I really think you did the logical thing and put your data in a "1Password 6" folder when you moved it over. Confusingly, 1Password 6 the app still uses the 1Password 4 for its data, so when you ran the app you ended up with both. Anyway, glad to hear that all is well now, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• Tacitus99
    Tacitus99
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hi Brenty:

I think you may be correct and that is what happened. Been using 1-PW since V3 and haven't noticed this before so when I changed machines seems to be the time things went awry: it would have been logical to take such a step without realising the implications.

I really can't understand why upgrades to 1-PW don't create a folder "1Password 6" and move the data over. It's the logical thing to do...... :)

Not seen any more problems - backups appear in the right place and everything functions normally - so all appears good.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tacitus99,

I'm happy to hear everything is working well for you!

I really can't understand why upgrades to 1-PW don't create a folder "1Password 6" and move the data over. It's the logical thing to do...... :)

Indeed, that would certainly seem like the logical thing to do! ;) Just to give you a quick bit of history: It made sense to include the '4' in the name of that folder when we first released 1Password 4 for Mac, as it was a separate app from 1Password 3 and required its own data directory. 1Password 5 and 6 for Mac were written as updates for version 4, so they use all of the same data files & folders as version 4 did. Changing the folder name for each new version could actually have caused lots of problems, so we kept the '4'.

If you need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.