1Password continued support for iCloud sync?

Options
TBSWE
TBSWE
Community Member

I am a long time user of 1Password on mac and iOS. I am using a single vault single person setup. I am using iCloud sync.

With the new purchasing model, will AgileBits:
1) continue to fully and dedicatedly support iCloud sync for 1Password, or
2) drop iCloud sync to force users to buy subscriptions, or
3) gradually let more and more bugs creep into iCloud sync to get users to buy subscriptions?

Should users like me – who are happy using iCloud sync – stop upgrading 1Password and keep version 6.5.x forever?

Naturally, I am hoping that AgileBits will continue to fully support iCloud sync. However, with the new business modell I cannot see how AgileBits can make enough money by letting users use iCloud sync.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3, iOS 10.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password continued support for iCloud sync?

Comments

• rudy
    edited February 2017
    Options

@TBSWE,

If you're talking about the change to 1Password in the Mac App Store, then nothing has really changed. You can still purchase it to work in standalone mode. You do this by setting up a standalone vault, or use iCloud or Dropbox. If you had previously purchased in the Mac App Store you won't even notice a difference as it will behave just as it alway has. If you hadn't previously purchased it then you will get a button that says "read-only", if clicked this will take you down the road of In App Purchase to buy the standalone version. The impetus for this change was that we were seeing a large number of users buying the App from the Mac App Store in order to Un-Freeze their account, which that action wouldn't actually do.

If you have any 1Password.com accounts in the app, it will show the In App Purchase for subscriptions.
    if you have only standalone vaults, it will only show the In App Purchase for the standalone version.

Rudy

• TBSWE
    TBSWE
    Community Member
    Options

When you write "standalone vaults" do you then refer to my private vault that is synced with iCloud between my 2 macs, iPad and iPhone?

• rudy
    edited February 2017
    Options

@TBSWE,

Yup, standalone vaults is inclusive of iCloud, Dropbox, Folder Sync and WLAN Server.

Rudy

• TBSWE
    TBSWE
    Community Member
    Options

So version 6.6 will still support single iCloud synced vault, with no 1Password.com account.
    Are you dedicated to continue supporting this usage in future versions?

• vance_erwin
    vance_erwin
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed. I just switched from mSecure for this very reason.

It's sad that the Apple App store model is creating this environment of in-app purchases for this kind of software. I would be happy to pay regular upgrade fees to be able to decide where my data goes.

I like this software and will continue to use it as long as there are options, like iCloud, Dropbox and Wifi synching.

• @TBSWE,

To answer your concern, our founder Dave Teare posted this back in August: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/08/03/new-1password-hosted-service/#comment-6392

Rudy

• vance_erwin
    vance_erwin
    Community Member
    Options

rudy

Thanks for posting the link.

I look forward to a long relationship with 1Password!

• @vance_erwin,

:) :+1:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Rudy

• TBSWE
    TBSWE
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy,
    Thank you for posting the link.

I have bad experience from other companies (not in the field of password managers) that have introduced subscription services for syncing. In their next releases the iCloud sync transformed from great to buggy and then to unusable. Let's hope that AgileBits sees a business value in keeping the iCloud sync working flawlessly.

• vance_erwin
    vance_erwin
    Community Member
    Options

TBSWE:

Agreed!

• TBSWE
    TBSWE
    Community Member
    Options

@vance_erwin
    I agree with you that I am happy to pay (reasonable) upgrade fees for software that I find useful. That is a lot better than being forced to sync to the providers server. I want have the option to use the data storage location and sync mechanism of my choice.

• We'll try our best to do good here. One of the things we've done that should help in this regard is that all of the data that's associated with accounts (and their vaults) is stored in a completely separate database on your Mac from the vaults you're syncing with iCloud and Dropbox. This reduces the likelihood that we inadvertently hurt one side of the app while we work on the other.

Rick

• TBSWE
    TBSWE
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion
    Thanks.

• You're welcome. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.