Issue moving my 1Password from an old laptop to a new one

skisgurl
skisgurl
Community Member

Well, I find myself in the same situation again, and despite thinking I could handle it myself....FAIL. I would like to move, not sync, my 1Password vault from and old laptop to a new one. I think all I did was sync it, and not being ready to take the leap and sign on for the 1Password membership yet, and with the limitations of Dropbox, can only use a single account to accomplish syncing to several devices. Maybe I am missing something, but all I want to do is have control of 1Password on my new laptop, and share the contents to both my and my husband's devices. I only have and need 1 vault. I would be appreciative if you could provide some direction so that I am not just syncing the contents but "moving" the contents to my new laptop. Forgive the learning curve and ty for your understanding.

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Version 6.6.1 (661010)
OS Version: Mac OSX
Sync Type: Dropbox (for the moment)
Referrer: forum-search:moving 1password from an old laptop to a new one

Comments

• skisgurl
    skisgurl
    Community Member

In trying to "move" my 1Password from an old laptop to another, I seem to have simply synced it. I would like to have control of 1Password on my new laptop, and sync it with other devices, via Dropbox. That has worked nicely right along with the old laptop. Can you tell me how to "move" it rather than just sync it, so I have full control?

1Password Version: 1Password 6
    Extension Version: Version 6.6.1 (661010)
    OS Version: OS X 10.12.3 (16D32)
    Sync Type: Dropbox (for the moment)
    Referrer: forum-search:moving 1password from an old laptop to a new one

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skisgurl,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! It sounds like there might be some confusion about what "sync" really means, but I can clear that up and also explain your options.

Regardless of whether you 'sync' or 'move' your data from the old Mac to the new Mac, your 1Password data will exist on both Macs. The difference is that, if you sync your 1Password data between your Macs, changes you make on one will be copied to the other so both Macs will always be up to date. On the other hand, if you only move your data to from the old Mac to the new Mac (i.e. copy the data from one to the other without using any sync option), any changes you make will stay on the Mac where you make them and won't show up on the other.

In short: if you want to keep using 1Password on the old Mac as well as the new Mac and have your changes sync from one to the other, you'll want to use one of the sync options (and it sounds like you might already be syncing between both Macs via Dropbox).

If you also want to use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data to other devices, you can find the steps to do so here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

You also mentioned that you want to "have control of 1Password" on your new Mac, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please elaborate on that?

This discussion has been closed.