1Password Families & Dropbox [1Password Families does not use Dropbox]

Options
Zmgm
Zmgm
Community Member
edited March 2017 in iOS

I just joined into 1Password having come from MSecure for years. One reason I chose to move away from them is because they are moving to having everything ONLY on their server (no DropBox or iCloud option) which is basically the same as 1Password for Families option - only available on your server. I must say the wording on your site is so incredibly confusing and unclear (and I am not a novice when it comes to tech stuff). It does not say at all that if you want to use DropBox or iCloud as an option that you should not get a subscription and join 1Password Families. I have only managed to figure this out from hours of reading through this forum. Couldn't figure out why the SYNC option wasn't available in my preferences. Someone needs to work on the wording on this website - it just shouldn't be this hard to figure out.

My problem now is that I am really wanting to have my information saved in Dropbox and not 1Password. I am just not sure how comfortable I am with having everything stored on 1Passwords servers with no backup. I have moved everything over from MSecure and have paid the subscription fee here. I was hoping to use the Shared features within 1Password to share information with my kids. Cannot this not be done if I use Dropbox? Is that only for one vault??

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @Zmgm,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. That information is intentionally not available on our website because we are no longer marketing 1Password as a standalone product. We are of course still supporting customers who are using 1Password that way. We strongly feel a 1Password membership is the best way to use 1Password.

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Customers have been asking us for a long time to make syncing and sharing easier. Based on those demands we created 1Password memberships. The only way to provide this service is as a subscription. We provide the sync service as well as the apps as part of this subscription. The ability to easily share passwords and other important data amongst family and team members has been immensely popular with our 1Password.com subscription customers.

I was hoping to use the Shared features within 1Password to share information with my kids. Cannot this not be done if I use Dropbox? Is that only for one vault??

While it may be possible, through some configuration with Dropbox, to share 1Password's sync files with another Dropbox user... we no longer offer instructions for doing so. Unfortunately there are just too many variables outside of 1Password when doing this, and it isn't uncommon for things to "fall out of sync." When that happens it is a royal mess trying to get things sorted across various devices of various people. This was one of the main reasons we developed 1Password memberships: making that process so much easier and more reliable. It is baked into the core of the offering, instead of being a half baked after-thought.

I am just not sure how comfortable I am with having everything stored on 1Passwords servers with no backup.

There are multiple backups. There are backups automatically created by the server, and there is also a local cache of your data available on every device you use the 1Password app on.

1Password membership also offers a level of security above what is available elsewhere. Please see this page for more information:

Short version: https://support.1password.com/1password-security/
    Long version: 1Password Security Design White Paper

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.