No good way to handle trash? Delete old trash without deleting the latest?

Options
mikl
mikl
Community Member
edited March 2017 in Mac

I really love 1Password, it is such an important tool for my work. But I have one problem with it, that's been a long-standing frustration:

The handling of trash.

The problem I have is that you can put things in the trash, which is fine. But there's no way of deleting stuff from the trash, other than the nuclear “Empty Trash” option, which deletes everything in the trash.

(There's no delete action on items in the trash)

There's a few problems with that. I like to leave things in the trash for a while, just as an extra safety if I deleted the wrong thing by accident. Also, deleted things are sometime respawned by devices that were out of sync. I don't often open 1P on the iPhone, so it's super annoying to have it respawn everything that was deleted since it was last synced. If I leave things in the trash, they never respawn.

Due to those two factors, I effectively never empty the trash, which has led to the current situation where I have more than a thousand things in the trash. 40% of the items in my 1Password database is currently trash.

So I beseech thee, please make it possible to mark a bunch of things in the trash and delete them. Or even better, add an option to automatically delete things after they've been in the trash for a while, a bit like this feature from Hazel:

This would make an excellent app even better, thanks for reading.

1Password Version: 6.5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikl,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts & feedback about the Trash in 1Password! The Trash feature wasn't really designed with that use case in mind - it's meant to work like the Trash on versions of OS X prior to El Capitan (which is when Apple added the 'Delete Immediately' option). So it sounds like you're using the Trash in 1Password a bit differently than intended, but I can definitely see how being able to selectively delete items from the Trash would be helpful for you. I don't believe our developers currently have plans to add something like that, but it might be something to consider for a future version.

For now, it might help you to create a secondary vault where you can move items if you think you no longer need them (sort of like an "Archive" vault, although "Almost Trash" might be a better description ;) ) Once enough time has passed and you're certain you don't need them anymore, you can move them to the Trash of that vault (and empty the Trash).

Please keep in mind that 1Password automatically backs up your data, so even if you empty the trash and then realize you needed some of those items, you can still restore them. If you're using local vaults (i.e. vaults that can sync via iCloud or Dropbox), those backups are stored locally on your Mac and you can see them in 1Password > Preferences > Backup. If you need to, you can restore from one of those backups, find the items you need and export them to a .1pif file, then restore your most recent data and import the .1pif file to your current vault.

Or if you have a 1Password.com account, it includes an item history feature that allows you to revert to a previous version of an item or restore a deleted item. It's a great feature which you can read about here: View and restore previous versions of items in 1Password accounts

I know these workarounds aren't quite the same as the feature you requested, but I wanted to mention them in case they help. If you have any questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-1418

This discussion has been closed.