Emergency recovery account

atb802
atb802
Community Member

In our life are different situations. We can not predict random events, like ex. partner's dies. We urgently need in this case to take over some of the data in the cloud. Do you planing to introduce a feature of 1Password, which has for example Dashlane "emergency recovery"?
To be clear - I do not mean to recover account if you forget a password, but a feature that enables the acquisition partner's account after a certain time as a result of unpleasant random event like death.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @atb802 - Great question! We don't currently have a feature exactly as described but I'll do my best. Several customers have mentioned they print out their Emergency Kits and keep it in a safe & secure location for a family member to retrieve in the case of an emergency.

With a 1Password Families account, you can add another "family organizer" to the account, giving them permission to recover your account. I know you mentioned " I do not mean to recover account if you forget a password" but having recovery permissions means the Family Organizer can completely access everything once the account has been recovered in the event something happens to you (knock on wood). Just make sure you keep the login item for your email account within the Shared vault.

I actually did this myself, I made my wife a "family organizer" and we both printed out our Emergency Kits which we keep locked up in a safe. Sorry for not having a better option for you at this time but it's a great suggestion so I appreciate the feedback. :+1:

• atb802
    atb802
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Thank you for your understanding. I think that feature is quite important. Even Google has something like "manager inactive accounts", where we add a trusted person by giving her phone number or mail. After a certain time by us, if you do not log in to account - this person will receive a message with instructions on how it can take over our account. I would add that this only works if the defined time we do not log in to your accounts. Example: https://www.google.com/settings/account/inactive

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@atb802 - Thanks again for your input and your clarification on how you'd like to have this work. As Frank mentioned, 1Password does not currently have such a feature and I can't currently say if or when this will come. You do have some good ideas there, thanks for that! :)

• DanBrook
    DanBrook
    Community Member

Yes, I agree. I like Google's method. 1Password is great, but I don't want anyone accessing my account info unless I die or otherwise become incapacitated for a significant period of time. The time delay along with a time delayed response, (i.e. contacting the original owner as a precaution), is a great way to proceed. You might also offer a 2nd (or 3rd) key option, needed for resets/emergency access, which the other key holders set themselves, so they can remember, sort of like a 2 or 3 lock door; no one can get in unless you have all 2 or 3 keys. None of this matters of course if we all get killed together in a plane crash, but then maybe it wouldn't matter then. ;-)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

My wife has my account/secret key and master password in her 1Password and I have hers. It's the easiest way in case something ever happens.

• This scenario is one that is on our mind. We'd love to do something special for this, but we haven't been able to find a solution that we like enough yet.

Rick

• atb802
    atb802
    Community Member

I am glade to hear it :)

This discussion has been closed.