Forgotten master password but still able to Access via Touch ID

Options
kenpun
kenpun
Community Member
edited March 2017 in iOS

I have 1Password installed on both iphone and ipad, using iCloud to sync. It has been ages since I had to use the master password so the other day I found myself not able to log in on the ipad when the app asked me to input the master password. Luckily I can still log in on the iphone by using Touch ID (I tried changing the master password in settings in 1Password but apparently I have no clue what the old password is. I must have changed it and forgotten about what I have changed it to).

I have now deleted 1Password from my ipad, thinking I could reinstall and sync via iCloud. Is there a way I can reset the master password now that I have no idea what it is? If not, what should I do before Touch ID stop working on the iphone and I am permanently locked out of my vault? TIA!

ken

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hiya Ken (@kenpun). I'm sorry to hear about the forgotten Master Password trouble! First things first, let's get your items somewhere safe:

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Tap on Settings > 1Password Accounts and create a new account. Make sure you write down your new Master Password and keep it someplace safe.
    3. Once you've created your account you should be prompted to move all your items over to your new account.
    4. Now switch over to your iPad and tap the 1Password.com option from the first screen. If you're using iCloud Drive, your 1Password.com credentials should already appear there already, but if not you can just scan the account code from your iPhone. To view the code on your iPhone tap on Settings > 1Password Accounts > [You account] > View Account Code, and then scan that code from your iPad.
    5. Enter your new Master Password on your iPad and all your items should be there.

Let me know when you've gotten this far and we'll charge ahead.

• kenpun
    kenpun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I have followed your steps and now have an 1Password account created and I can now access 1passwrod on both iphone and ipad. I have also kept the old vault on the iphone. Thanks so much! Are there more steps I need to follow? Ken

• Ben
    Options

Hey Ken

That's so great! Thanks for the update. On behalf of MrRooni you are most welcome. If all of your information is now accessible through 1Password.com then I'd recommend removing the primary vault, and any other standalone vaults, as those could potential he cause you some difficulty/confusion in the future.

You can do that in 1Password by opening the settings tab, selecting vaults, picking the standalone vault to delete, and then selecting delete vault. Please note that if you have multiple standalone vaults you will need to delete the primary vault last.

Ben

• kenpun
    kenpun
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. Before I do that I have one more question... when I created the account 2 days ago, I noticed the option I selected in the app says "Free Trial"... does that mean at some point there will be a monthly fee for having an account? I have only purchased the ios app and dont have the Mac version.

Many thanks. Ken

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Ken,

1Password accounts are subscription based, yes, however you have the choice of being billed monthly or annually (with annual billing providing a 20% discount). The annual billing prices are the prices advertised on our website, and are only available when subscribing through our website. Apple only offers the monthly rate at the moment.

You can learn more about the billing process here:

1Password subscription billing

I have only purchased the ios app and dont have the Mac version.

If you've made a 1Password purchase within the last year please shoot us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com with your receipt. Once you've sent it post your support ID, which BitBot will send you, here. :) One of the great things about the new account system is you no longer have to purchase each 1Password app separately -- they are all included with your subscription. You can access your 1Password data from all of your devices, and even through our web interface at 1Password.com

You can read more about the advantages of using an account here:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

While we do believe 1Password accounts are the best way to use 1Password if you prefer the old way, where syncing is a manual setup process and a 3rd party is required, and licenses for desktop & mobile are sold separately, and upgrades are not included... you can find instructions for migrating back to that here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• kenpun
    kenpun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

The 1Password account that I set up to solve my problem before (I forgot my master password) has expired and I have decided to go back to syncing manually without having an account membership. I have checked out the instruction you shared with me (https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-standalone/) and have a question... I am not sure if I need to set up a "primary vault". When I open settings and looked inside "vault" I find that I have one that says "Personal" and there are 126 items in it. Is this the data I have in my account, so I need to set up another vault and copy the data from this personal vault to it? Many thanks.

ken

• Ben
    Options

Hi Ken,

The Personal vault is an account based vault, yes. So you would need to create a Primary vault.

Ben

• kenpun
    kenpun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I have followed the instructions and created a primary vault. After that I tried to select sync by iCloud... at this point I was asked for a password to unlock this primary vault... I have no idea what this is as it is just created... I tried using my master password for the account but it was declined. Now I have an empty primary vault which is empty, and the "personal vault" which has all my data. At what point have I set a password for this new primary vault? Very confused.

cheers, Ken

• Ben
    Options

Ken,

The Master Password for the Primary vault is set during the process of creating the vault.

Ben

• kenpun
    kenpun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

It seems my problem is more complex than I thought. I have tried many times to create a primary vault on my ipad according to the instructions but everytime I was asked for a password and this is before I have set any password for this new primary vault. So I decided to try doing it on my iphone. I then discovered that on my iphone, I already have a primary vault and a personal vault. And the primary vault seems to have the same data as my personal vault (they both have 126 items). When I tried to delete this primary vault, it asked for my password and it is not the master password that I have... so now I am stuck with a vault with a password I no longer have. What should I do next?

Ken

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hey Ken,

On the iPad if you do not already have a Primary vault and are adding one through the 1Password > Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault option... the Master Password you are being asked for is your 1Password.com account password (the same one you'd use to login to the https://my.1password.com/ website).

If you don't know any of your Master Passwords you'll need to start over:

How to erase your 1Password data and start over

If you cannot login to your my.1Password.com account I can send you an email that you can use to delete the account.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.